Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - Upside Down Flowers (November 11, 2018) Album • Page 17

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by pablowashere, Oct 1, 2018.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Dear Jack benefit is tonight, from what I can tell we are getting Zac and Butch as the two openers. The only two openers? Two OF the openers? Who knows, we shall see!

earthlight and Craig Manning like this.
  2. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

The setlist from last night is pretty solid too.

Andrew McMahon Setlist at Lodge Room, Los Angeles

My friend was there. Someone yelled for hurricane and he said he could only play the part he wrote, which was the piano solo. Would love to hear that again!

David Parke likes this.
  3. irthesteve

Another great Andrew show last night

sonder, earthlight and David Parke like this.
  4. irthesteve

Very intrigued by this, I love White Sea, I hope this means a soundtrack .. to Soundtrack.. is coming

sonder, David Parke and anonimito like this.
  5. irthesteve

6. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

There isn’t a thread for the tour right now and I don’t feel like messing with it right now.

I did the VIP stuff. Here is my recap I posted on my face book for anyone interested.

Sound check and meet and greet were fun! He took requests and he played mine! I requested Ruthless off the Something Corporate album North from 2003! It’s always been one of my favorite SoCo songs and getting to hear it by request was awesome! He shared some funny stories and answered some questions. I’ll never think about the song Me and the Moon the same way again. We weren’t supposed to take videos, so I only have photos. His opener Ivory Lane came out to sing with him on the last 2 songs, as well.

When I got to meet him I got a photo and got to have a very brief conversation. Such a nice dude. Gonna be a really great set tonight!

Songs he played for us:
    -House in the Trees
    -Last Straw (request)
    -Ruthless (request)
    -Walking In My Sleep
    -Paper Rain

7. Greg

Somebody yell at me later to share a story about Me and the Moon.

CAC3 and anonimito like this.
  8. irthesteve

I will promise to yell

Greg and anonimito like this.
  9. Greg

Good! It’s a great one and I don’t want to rush typing it out now and miss details.

EASheartsVinyl and David Parke like this.
  10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh man, if he’s actually taking requests at every VIP this might FINALLY be the time I get to hear Walking By.

David Parke likes this.
  11. irthesteve

Holy shit I haven't heard that song in so long, thank you for reminding me

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  12. Greg

He is, I would assume. It was very chill and informal by design.

13. irthesteve

tell us the story NOW

sonder likes this.
  14. Greg

Here is the set, I’ll post details and stories tomorrow. I’m tired.

ivory Layne sang on a handful of songs, she did a bunch in a row in the middle and one in the encore. She was cool and really talented and nice when I met her after the show!

1. Caves
    2. Synesthesia
    3. Holiday from Real
    4. I Want To Save You
    5. So Close
    6. High Dive
    7. Cavanaugh Park
    8. Annie Use Your Telescope
    9. Ohio
    10. Dead Man’s Dollar [Ivory enters]
    11. Dark Blue
    12. Time After Time (Cyndi Lauper Cover)
    13. Love and Great Buildings
    14. Paper Rain [Ivory Exits]
    15. I Woke Up In A Car
    16. Cecilia and the Satellite
    17. Fire Escape
    ENCORE
    Konstantine (last 30 seconds only for a girl who called for it. Andrew said he loved her and she is invited to come to the 11.11 yearly shows to hear the whole song. He then had her take her phone out to record and played the last 30 seconds saying in the middle of it that he can’t believe he just played a 25 minute version of Konstantine haha! Then he “finished” the song.

18. Lights & BuzZ
    19. Straw DoG
    20. Walking In My Sleep [Ivory]
    21. La La Lie

sonder, David Parke and anonimito like this.
  15. Greg

Yell at me tomorrow Haha it’s 1am

David Parke and anonimito like this.
  16. irthesteve

ok deal.

anonimito likes this.
  17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m so so so happy that he’s doing Lights and Buzz. Never thought I’d hear that now.

sonder likes this.
  18. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Ugh I wish this tour was playing near me.

19. Greg Dec 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 4, 2019)
    Greg

Okay, I’m awake and ready to share more haha

The meet and greet was real chill. Andrew started playing House In the Trees as we walked in. He then spoke for a couple minutes and did two requests. I got to request Ruthless and I’m so happy.

Then he took some questions. The cruise he wants to do isn’t happening yet, he says he has to prove he can do his own thing. But the cruise they did earlier this year, in 2021 he will be headlining it. So if it’s clear he is able to get a lot of people to come to that he believes they will allow him to do his own cruise. Someone asked if the music from the Netflix show will be released, but he mostly did the incidental music so they aren’t really songs. But there is a song someone will sing in the first few episodes that he wrote.

Someone asked what the meaning/inspiration behind Me and the Moon was. Initially he joked it was inspired by a fucked up childhood and a lot of weed. He went on to say a big part of it was all the badass women in his life who endured a lot and thinking how at some point they had to do what was necessary. He came up with the verse piano part first and started there. The chorus used to be totally different and was like a court room scene but he didn’t like it. During this time they were on tour in Leeds with Finch. One night the guys from Finch invited him to their hotel room to do mushrooms. It was his first time and had a strong effect. At one point he looked at the window and saw a MASSIVE moon. He asked Finch if they saw it, but they didn’t haha! He started to freak out and locked himself in the bathroom. He wrote down “it’s me and the moon” and was obsessed with it. He eventually felt the need to leave, so he did. He wandered around Leeds on shrooms freaking out and swears at one point saw a kid with a SoCo hoodie on and ran away so he wasn’t seen in his condition. This was 2002, so he didn’t have a cell phone, at least not overseas. He got lost but was able to call his manager from a bookstore and was like, “hey man, I’m at this store and I have no idea where I am, maybe in another country. Can you come find me?” He has made it like 2 blocks from where his hotel was apparently haha the next day he sat in the venue in Leeds called the Cockpit and wrote the chorus Me and the Moon now has. By far the best story and makes me appreciate the song in a new way.

after a couple more songs we did the photo line and I got to share with him that yesterday was 15 years since my younger brother passed away from Leukemia. But that his music was a help during that time and continues to be as well as his inspiring work to help adolescent/young adult cancer patients now. It felt significant that I had this opportunity to meet him on that day of all days.

For the show itself, it was an awesome show! Ivory came on at 8 and played just under a half hour. I really liked her stuff and she is a very talented singer. It was a fun performance and she has an and endearing personality. I got to meet her and grab a photo with her after the show. Very friendly!

Andrew came out roughly quarter to 9. It was an incredible set. Loved the deep cuts we got. I would expect his set to change each night. Annie and the Lauper cover weren’t on his setlist but he wanted to play them. Before Cecilia he gave a little thank you speech. How he wasn’t sure how this tour would go as he’s never done a tour with just him and the piano. That no matter what happens tomorrow, he got to live his dream. Getting to write song and record them and play all these shows. He did it. He achieved his dream.

Paper Rain was inspired by a former manager (?) or whoever managed his finances who apparently totally fucked Andrew over. He decided rather than just be mad about it he would write a song about it and that it was his favorite off of Upside Down Flowers.

Lights & Buzz was the first song he wrote after leaving the hospital. The first song after he almost lost everything.

the name Jessica from Straw Dog was about a girl he was considering asking out. But he wasn’t sure if he liked her or not. So he put her name in this song to see if it would drive up any interest in him. It did not haha

the dates for this tour were based on where the tour with AWOL nation isn’t going to.

that’s most of the little stories and comments. It was a hell of a night I won’t soon forget.

CAC3, Meghin, Damien and 5 others like this.
  20. irthesteve

@Greg great roundup, thanks for posting everything

21. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

Seriously, that was a lot of fun to read. Thanks @Greg!

22. Meghin

Uhhhhhhhhhh... Supporter

I'm so excited for Saturday now.

anonimito and Greg like this.
  23. Greg

You’ll love it! It’s such a fun show! Let us know what songs he throws in the set for you. I’m sure a lot are staples, but a handful will vary show to show.

anonimito likes this.
  24. Greg

Oh yea, after he played Ruthless he told us that he had picked like 40 some songs to pull from for his sets to practice and neither The Last Straw or Ruthless were on them haha! Sorry, Andrew!

anonimito and irthesteve like this.
  25. Meghin

Uhhhhhhhhhh... Supporter

I'll definitely try to keep everyone in the loop! I think it's great you did this breakdown of stuff because a lot of it sounds like what I discussed with him for our local paper that went live today. He specifically mentioned being a "type-a" person too when it comes to everything, just because he likes to be prepared!