Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - Upside Down Flowers (November 11, 2018) Album • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by pablowashere, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

The album is great as it is. A lot of it has to do with looking back and reflecting on life. The slower pace fits right into that to me.

I can sit here and think about certain moments and replay them in my head, they generally feel slower than real life.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Speeding up songs is a very strange thing, IMO.

3. AndrewRnR

Hey now like I said I can't take credit for the idea, read it here at some point so I'm not fully crazy. Certainly get the reflection vibe and understand why it is what it is. I think part of it came from seeing Ohio live and feeling like it was a tad bit faster live as well.

4. Craig Manning

I don't think you're crazy! It's just not something I would ever think to do. Tempos are a pretty deliberate songwriting choice in most cases, and I think the tempos of those two songs are completely a match with the lyrical content.

5. Speeding up tempos feels like changing the color of a painting. Sure, you can do it, it may look interesting ... but why?

6. mationation

I think God's a painter

shoutout to all the lost souls who used the faster version of "Stolen" as the first dance song at their wedding

Craig Manning likes this.
  7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

an artist recording an alternate version of a song is far different than speeding up a youtube video

airik625 and Greg like this.
  8. mationation

I think God's a painter

you're totally right. I can be silly lurching in different directions. many blessings and holiday hearts brotha

9. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

i had trouble fully enjoying the self-titled for a while because somehow i ended up associating "Maps for the Getaway" to a death in the family, and the same thing is happening now that i'm associating "Everything Must Go" to my inevitable breakup. i really don't know why this happens, since both are actually hopeful songs. this really really sucks

earthlight likes this.
  10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I always think of the Will Ferrell movie that's literally about the same exact thing as the song is and they both have the same title

11. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

just read the synopsis and wow that is one movie i'm going to stay away from unless i wanna feel even more miserable

anonimito, JRGComedy and Jason Tate like this.
  12. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

This album sounds fantastic on vinyl. Like I know a lot of people complained about the vocal effects, they didn’t bother me, but maaaaannn they were made for vinyl listening

anonimito likes this.
  13. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

The vocal effects have actually annoyed me more over time. I listen to a song like Everything Must Go and I immediately feel that it would sound so much better if it didn't sound like he was singing from a room across the hallway. Totally ruins it.

Joe4th and irthesteve like this.
  14. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

The issues with the vocal effects always surprise me a bit- they have zero impact on my enjoyment of the album. I barely even notice them! :shrug::shrug:

15. Craig Manning

Yeah, I don’t even notice them outside of “Goodnight Rock n Roll.”

Greg, anonimito, Jason Tate and 2 others like this.
  16. BTDandFeelingThis

My response:

anonimito likes this.
  17. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

you have to admit you at least notice them on Goodnight Rock and Roll... right?

18. quietwords

There's vocal effects on that track?! ;-)

anonimito and Bad Frequencies like this.
  19. quietwords

Bad dad joke aside, that is definitely the track they are most obvious. But they don't bother me.

anonimito and Bad Frequencies like this.
  20. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

The vocal effects are one of the big reasons I don't enjoy this, but I still don't really like most of the songs on here even if they didn't have the vocal effects

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  21. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

22. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

So after a few weeks with this, I'm still of the mindset taht I love the first 4 songs, and House in the Trees.

The rest are super hit or miss for me. This Wild Ride is probably the best of the rest for me.

But those other 5 are top tier Andrew McMahon songs for me...probably puts this album above the self-titled for me, right behind TGP.

23. Craig Manning

Man, I can't wrap my head around not loving each of the last four.

duritzfan13, Greg and Bad Frequencies like this.
  24. BTDandFeelingThis

Especially EMG. My favorite song of that title since Taking Back Sunday

Craig Manning likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

And "Careless"! I feel like that's a super classic Andrew McMahon jam. But yes, "Everything Must Go" is wonderful.

duritzfan13, Greg and Bad Frequencies like this.