Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - Upside Down Flowers (November 11, 2018) Album • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by pablowashere, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I still regularly throw on High Dive. I fucking love that song.

2. JohnR831

Regular

This snuck up on me, but I've listened a couple of time and love the sound so far. Can't wait to really dive in with my headphones.

3. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

High Dive is a top 10 Andrew song for me easily

David87, moura, airik625 and 3 others like this.
  4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Maps For The Getaway is such an underrated banger off that album

Paddy, Pepetito, m9tt and 11 others like this.
  5. mationation

I think God's a painter

high dive, all our lives, halls, and maps for the getaway are all timers. all our lives has over 1200 plays in my itunes

6. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Didn’t really hit me outside of a track or two (“Paper Rain”, “House in the Trees”). Props to him for being reflective but this album was a bit too slow for me.

irthesteve likes this.
  7. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Yeah if y'all are enjoying the nostalgic vibes on this album, go put on this song next

m9tt, David87, anonimito and 3 others like this.
  8. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I’ve never really cared for High Dive. Does nothing for me.

9. mationation

I think God's a painter

you're dancing to someone else's song

neo506, David87, moura and 3 others like this.
  10. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m really enjoying a lot of this. A couple of the soongs in the back 2/3rds of the album don’t work for me but the first four are so strong and a few other good ones sprinkled in along the way.

I can’t put it above TGP as best post-EIT album but it may surpass the first Wilderness record for me. Blue Vacation is my fucking jam already.

11. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

Paper Rain is so good

12. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

This seems like a summer album. Down to the album art.

Still loving it though.

Bad Frequencies and anonimito like this.
  13. irthesteve

It's still summer in California haha

14. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Earworms every night from this.

15. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Anyone curious about its chart debut...

#169 on the billboard 200. 45 on the Top Albums chart.
    Zombies debuted at 43 on the 200 charts; self-titled 21.

16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Bummer...prob the lack of a cacthy lead single like the other two?

17. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I'm not into this record as much as I thought I would be. Going to have to give it some time.

18. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I'd also say this was released with pretty little promotion. Seemed intentional, almost?
    Like, it was meant to be a smaller release. I don't know. I'm not making sense, haha

19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, I really haven't seen anything about this record really anywhere. Feels like his press people really dropped the ball.

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Especially with the Butch Walker collab. They could’ve really pushed that too.

Craig Manning likes this.
  21. Listened to this along with the lyrics this morning and it really highlighted a few of the songs that weren't previously standouts for me. This album is just great all the way through.

Nate_Johnson and anonimito like this.
  22. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Yeah, unless you’re actively following Andrew I feel like there’s no way you would’ve known this record came out.

BUT. It’s so freaking good.

anonimito likes this.
  23. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I inquired about an interview and never heard back from his PR person. I also had to get an advance copy through different means. It seems like a textbook example of publicists not doing their damn jobs (which is becoming more common, from my experience). Albums like this should get way more attention than they do.

24. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

yeah i feel like this album got nothing close to the push of the previous two, maybe it got backburnered byt label because its not as radio friendly as the other two?

25. irthesteve

After more listens, I'm still not sold on this album as a whole. I really love songs like House In The Trees, Careless, Ohio, Blue Vacation... but I still find that the slower ones are plagued by the vocal effects. It's the same thing that bugs me about early Best Coast, or the whole lo-fi rock movement, I just don't like feeling like there are really great songs that basically get a veil of buzz and haze over them. And it's not really just the idea of an effect, it's the fact that the ENTIRE album has the same effect start to finish, it just gets tired. Effects like these work better for me when it's one song out of an album, to really punctuate the point of having it in the song.

Anyway, it seems that half this thread gets defensive when someone doesn't like the effect so this post is mostly a lost cause, but can we at least agree that it's too far on Goodnight Rock & Roll? It's like the effect is turned up to 11, such a hard song for me to listen to compared to the rest. Ok i'll go hide now, bye.