Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

André 3000 - New Blue Sun (November 17, 2023)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OotyPa, Nov 17, 2023.

1. OotyPa Nov 17, 2023
    (Last edited: Nov 17, 2023)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

first new music released from this hip-hop legend in over 17 years and it's a fourth-world ambient-jazz album influenced by Brian Eno, Laraaji, Alice Coltrain, Steve Reich, and Pharoah Sanders. who would've thought?

let's discuss it in here!

2. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I feel like a fraud for commenting because my knowledge of Outkast is practically nil, but I loved my first listen of this. Dude's a total badass, and this hit at the perfect time as I've been in the mood for ambient music recently.

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

this is wayyy more ambient than I'd expected (in a GOOD way). feels like it would slide perfectly into a playlist of Jon Hassell and Terry Riley type jams. very meditative and exploratory and soulful. pretty sure I'll be listening to this all winter long.

4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

check out ATLiens and Aquemini at the very least, in the running for best rap albums ever

5. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

only on the first track but it’s great and giving me Eno vibes for sure

OotyPa and aliens exist like this.
  6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

can’t wait to dive into this

7. the dissonance towards the end of the first track was challenging for me but I'm moving onto track four and enjoying this

8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

still listening. That Night in Hawaii and BuyPoloDisorder's Daughter are my fav so far, (these fkn titles :crylaugh:) but I feel like every song is better than the next

9. aliens exist

pure on main

completely different to what i was expecting this to be, in the best possible way. if this had come out in january, there's a chance it could have been my most listened-to album of the year

oncenowagain, angrycandy and OotyPa like this.
  10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Excited to check it out

11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Ants to You, Gods to Who is doing something to me. I feel like I'm on a cloud

what impeccable timing for this release. I feel like we needed this album now more than any other time in the last 17 years. it's a wonderful call for stillness and quiet that the universe so desperately needed.

aliens exist and wisdomfordebris like this.
  12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Excellent so far. Fits right with all the other albums I’ve been playing recently

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Panther one is losing me a bit at the beginning

14. It's good for sure. I don't think it's exactly revelatory, but it's really beautiful and nice to listen to. Calming.

15. angrycandy

I mostly like it but yeah it’s nothing revelatory

a few passages here and there are just a smidge too meandering for me but I think it mostly works

OhTheWater likes this.
  16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I don't think this is really meant to be revelatory, or really even at the forefront of anyone's attention while listening. It's ambient-environment music. He mentions that in the NPR interview too. they're in no way supposed to be bangers and generally meant to be listened to in a meditative/reflective state and while doing something else.

aliens exist and OhTheWater like this.
  17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah, if anything I think that the song that draws the most attention (Track 3 imo) is the one I like the least. I assume I'll return to it in the colder weather, but I don't know if I'd be paying attention if it wasn't him. I like it enough, though.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. Yeah, by revelatory I don't mean I'm looking for bangers, I just mean as an ambient album it's simply really nice to have on as opposed to blowing my mind the way it blew Questlove's lol

angrycandy and OotyPa like this.
  19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Really liking the second half of the album.

20. angrycandy

agreed

finished it up. a really enjoyable album

aliens exist and Aaron Mook like this.
  21. angrycandy

have the feeling Pitchfork is going to fawn all over this thing

22. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

the last two songs are gorgeous

aliens exist likes this.
  23. PauLo

43% Burnt

This was fine. Leaned too much on the ambient side of things for my liking and not enough jazz. Was expecting something a bit more expansive considering the talent he worked with.

Probably won’t listen to it again. I’ll get my Andre flute fix from the song he’s on on Carlos Nino’s last album.

24. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Frinet42, Crisp X and OotyPa like this.
  25. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

liking the album a lot though fr

aliens exist likes this.