Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anderson .Paak - Ventura (April 12, 2019) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jdr2187, Feb 27, 2019.

1. jdr2187

jdr2187

2. username

hey you lil piss baby

Oh wow

Hope I like it more than the last one. Missed his show here last night but might have to catch the Echo Beach date. Support is unreal.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Let's do this

4. irthesteve

"Growing up in Oxnard gave me the grit and the church to find this voice of mine. One town over I went further and found my depth," he said about the inspiration behind project. "The duality of each place inspired me greatly and from that I made two albums at the exact same time but held one back because that would have been too many songs to perform live for you all! I like ending things on an even number so welcome to Ventura."

5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I listen to Oxnard more than Malibu at this point, though I can't say which album I prefer. Both are unbelievably good in their own ways. He is also simply impeccable live. Dude might be a better performer than he is a studio artist, and that's really saying something. Highly recommend you all see him at some point.

So so hyped for this project!!!

6. PauLo

43% Burnt

Sweeeeeeet. I wondered if him mentioning on Fallon last week that he had a whole other album with Dre made would lead to something.

I guess this is the second album we all thought we were getting at the same time as Oxnard!

7. PauLo

43% Burnt

When’s the Free Nationals album due?

8. mad

I was right. Prestigious

best news

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

That tour is awesome. Anderson Paak, Noname, and Thundercat in one night? Not much thought required from me on that. (Well I've never actually listened to Thundercat so I'm going to do that now, but I've heard good things.)

OotyPa likes this.
  10. irthesteve

11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

No release date yet, but I assume they’ll drop a single soon and the album in like 4-6 months—probably doing some wishful thinking here though. Paak briefly mentioned it was coming when I saw him live, but he didnt say when.

12. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Genuinely shocked it's coming so soon, I assumed it would be end of the year

In theory the tour sounds amazing, but I literally just saw Paak like a week ago and I'm seeing Earl end of March so it'll be super soon after I see both of them headline... probably depends on the price honestly

13. Cameron Feb 28, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 28, 2019)
    Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

6 Summers still bangs

Want to re visit Oxnard before this comes out

14. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Oxnard was super disappointing for me, listened to it like twice and then never felt compelled to return to it again

15. PauLo Feb 28, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 28, 2019)
    PauLo

43% Burnt

I really like Oxnard, but it's the weakest of his four albums IMO. Listened to it a lot less than Venice, Malibu and Yes Lawd!

16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I don’t understand...

17. irthesteve

Oxnard definitely ended up being disappointing, a step back from Malibu.

18. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Oxnard has some great songs that I return to a lot, especially near the end, but there's a fussiness to the whole thing that made it feel disappointing to me coming off of Malibu, which feels so relaxed and open.

19. irthesteve

I just feel like Oxnard lost a lot of what made him stand out, there's nothing as majestic as The Bird or The Season/Carry Me, there's nothing as high energy and enjoyable as Come Down, just a lot of the things that I personally find special about him kinda aren't on Oxnard

20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

“Anywhere” and “Cheers” are definitely just as good as the highs of Malibu; definitely could also make the argument for “6 Summers.” I can understand thinking it’s not as emotional/personal as Malibu but neither are the NxWorries record or Venice—and I’d argue Oxnard is instrumentally more diverse than both those albums. Either way, I understand being disappointed it didn’t follow Malibu’s vibe, but its by-no-means a bad album.

21. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Yeah, I wouldn’t say it’s bad at all (“Head Low” is the only song I even kinda dislike), but I do think that the personal nature of Malibu is what makes it my favorite of his. I like that side of his persona more than what we see in Oxnard or NxWorries, and I hope Ventura will bring some of that back.

22. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

23. username

hey you lil piss baby

I always felt that my lack of interest in Oxnard came from Dre’s direction, especially in production. So this is exactly the news I wanted. Hope we hear something soon.

24. irthesteve

Honestly I don't think I can blame anyone specifically since I don't know who suggested what on each song, or who made the songs I dislike worse or the songs I like better, can't really blame without being there.

Either way, I'm hopeful for Ventura

25. PauLo

43% Burnt

Hopefully Ventura is where the Madlib collaborations ended up.

OotyPa likes this.