Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anchor & Braille Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Benjamin Lee, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

"Anchor & Braille is the recording alias for American singer and songwriter Stephen Christian, known for fronting the alternative rock band Anberlin, before its dissolution in 2014. Originally conceived as a side project for Christian, Anchor & Braille is now his primary vehicle for releasing music. Christian has described Anchor & Braille as a collaborative effort, having recorded with musicians such as Aaron Marsh of Copeland, Micah Tawlks, and Kevin Daily of Civil Twilight. Since its beginning, Christian has released three studio albums under this name, Felt in 2009, The Quiet Life in 2012, and Songs for the Late Night Drive Home in 2016."

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  2. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I just want to say, listening to Songs for the Late Night Drive Home early, Anchor & Braille is great. Like, I'd love this band with or without Anberlin. I'm beyond excited for LP4 planned to be produced by Aaron Marsh.

3. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Been meaning to check out songs for the late night again, seems like a solid Fall record

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  4. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

It definitely feels more fall. Also, highly recommend listening to it while driving at night. It really lives up to it's title.

Owlex likes this.
  5. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Never given them a chance. Not one for the slower stuff, but I'll definitely give them a listen.

6. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

If you don't like slower stuff, you might not enjoy them that much. I'd say your best bet would be The Quiet Life though. Some kind of more upbeat songs on that one compared to the other two.

7. Lucas27

Trusted

I might be in the minority, but I think The Quiet Life is easily the best A&B release so far for me. There are individual songs on both Felt and SFtLNDH that are my favorites, but as a whole The Quiet Life is just more eclectic.

I will say though, Songs For the Late Night Drive Home really is amazing to listen to on a late night drive home.

Luroda and Benjamin Lee like this.
  8. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I think The Quiet Life is my favorite too. Definitely have the most personal attachment to that album. I love all of them almost equally though. I think Stephen has been very consistent with the quality of this project.

Lucas27 likes this.
  9. atlas

Trusted

Knew Then Know Now is the prettiest song in the world

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  10. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

That and "Before I Start Dreaming".

Lucas27 likes this.
  11. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

This is the one for me. Makes a strong case at being my favourite song Stephens done, including Anberlin stuff. Perfect song.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  12. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Your love for that song has always made me happy. It actually helped make the song click for me.

SpyKi likes this.
  13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I haven't checked this out at all yet. I must get on that.

14. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

This is good news! I think that song is magical, haha.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  15. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Completely agree. Definitely my favorite song he's done. It's just beautiful

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  16. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I am really hoping that with Anberlin done, we'll get Anchor & Braille on a pretty regular schedule. Like, Aaron Marsh produced LP4 will be a 2018 record as opposed to the three and four years gaps from before.

17. Lucas27

Trusted

I think there's actually a good chance it'll be a 2017 record. Stephen Christian expressed his pipe dream of having three albums out in 2016 (two A&B albums and his worship record). Obviously the guy has a tendency to make delusional statements and I've learned to love him all the more for it, but I think with the free time he has it's quite plausible that he'll get it out in 2017.

18. Lucas27

Trusted

"Before I Start Dreaming" is gorgeous and I've always wondered what the Anberlin version would've sounded like had they closed out Vital with the song. "If Not Now, When" and "Goes Without Saying" are also at the top of the Quiet Life heap for me.

But like I said, there are songs on each of his albums I adore. "Rust," "Summer Tongues," "Lower East Side," and "Nightfall" (possibly my favorite A&B song) are all amazing.

19. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I never heard that he was hoping to have two Anchor & Braille albums in 2016. Weird. haha I guess he's doing the worship record right now, so a 4th Anchor & Braille isn't totally implausible for him for 2017. Though, I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high.

I always wondered about what Anberlin would've done with that song too, but I'm honestly glad it was left for Anchor & Braille instead of being an Anberlin song. It's perfect as is. I'm really bad at picking favorite's for this band, but those are all great picks.

Lucas27 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Intrigued by what a Stephen Christian worship album could sound like. As long as it's not as generic as the one Aaron Gillespie from Underoath put out. Could not cope with that one!

21. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Aaron actually put out two... hahaha

22. Lucas27

Trusted

I'm convinced I'll at least like anything with Stephen Christian's voice on it. But I want to love it. I hope the quality of it is more on the level of Dustin Kensrue than it is Aaron Gillespie.

23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Which was which? Maybe I knew that but erased one from my mind!

The one I'm referring to had several titles with the word 'Jesus' in (I think?!). I listened to a few tracks and was so disappointed with how generic and predictable it was.

24. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Erm, I'll say probably Anthem Song. There's one song with Jesus in the title on that album, but none with Jesus in the title on the second one (Grace Through Wandering). I never listened to the second one, but yeah, first was a little disappointing.

25. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

:heart: A&B. Honestly, I just love Stephen's voice. I'm so fucking hype for him to work with Aaron again on the next album, though.

Benjamin Lee likes this.