Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anberlin Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by contra11mundum, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Dark is my second favorite. I really like the sound/lyrics/production on it. I half agree with New Surrender though. It has a lot of highs and lows. I've always liked Blueprints the least. Haha

2. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

New Surrender and Blurprints are the only ones I'd say I don't like as a whole. Though there are songs on each that I like a lot.

Luroda and Benjamin Lee like this.
  3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I hate the lyrics, they're so bad. I like Naive Orleans more than that whole album.

4. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Naive Orleans is the best song on Blueprints for sure. haha I guess I just connected to Dark in a way maybe most people don't. I believe it came out a month after I first listened to the band (started with Cities) and it's just grown on me more every time I've listened to it since.

Luroda likes this.
  5. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I think that Dark easily has their worst lyrics and song structures HOWEVER I also think it is far and away the best production on any of their albums and there are some great songs (We Owe This To Ourselves, Impossible, Art of War) that get overlooked.

But yeah it's my least favorite Anberlin record.

Luroda and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  6. SpyKi

I think there's a lot of people that really like that album actually. It seems to be their most diversive with a lot of people hating it and a lot of people loving it.

7. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I agree 100% about Dark. Great production but kind of boring with some gems throughout.

contra11mundum likes this.
  8. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Yeah, looking at that poll it is second to Cities (though it's like 31 to 5. haha). I remember the review on AP gave it like a 90 or something. I'm pretty sure my music taste is probably total shit though (I mean I don't love The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me so). hahahah

9. SpyKi

Yeah I think the people that connect with that album seem to really connect with it. Also don't be so hard on your taste, I'm sure it's wonderful. I love TDAG but I don't really like any other Brand New album much, we all don't like some hugely popular albums, haha.

10. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Yeah. I'm more joking, I tend to have less popular opinions on here so I just try and own it at this point. haha I'm probably a strange user on the site, because until I was 17 (20 now) I was not allowed to listen to any non-Christian music, so I was late to discovering most of bands I talk about on here.

SpyKi likes this.
  11. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Dark is to be listened to in full imo, I never really just pick off a random song to listen to.

I know a lot of people don't like Depraved, but that is such a perfect closer - especially for that record. lyrically it's minimal and simple but I really like that about it. Nate absolutely kills that song too. The echo-y choir in the outro is perfect.

Luroda, chhholly123 and Benjamin Lee like this.
  12. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Definitely.

For awhile I disliked Depraved just because it wasn't as epic as Christa Paffgen, *Fin or Ex Malo Bonum, but eventually it clicked on me and I'd hold it in the same league as those now.

13. Broxi

New Surrender is my favourite
    Followed by Cities, then Vital

14. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

dance dance Christa Päffgen is still my favorite Anberlin song

15. atlas

Trusted

Dark is their 3rd best album to me, and on some days their 2nd

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  16. bodkins

Trusted

Dark is probably number 2 for me. Hit me at a good time, I listened to it like crazy when it dropped. Brendan O'brien crushed production on it. Some of my favorite Anberlin songs are on there.

17. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

How do y'all feel about the Anchor & Braille album this year? I liked it but didn't return to it much until recently. Works much better this time of year imo

18. SpyKi

It's solid. I've never been a big A&B fan outside of "Before I Start Dreaming".

19. JRShoenberger

Trusted

I never gave their last two albums much of a chance, but after reading through here, I'll have to revisit then.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I wish that Cadence stuck with the heavier tone set right from those opening chords. But that chorus... pffft.

21. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I think Vital/Devotion is their most solid product start to finish, and that they completely succeeded in their goal of creating a record that is very definitive for them, and for new fans to go to early on. Lowborn is a bit different, it's closest in style to Vital, but it's a lot more chill and ambient. I think it's a perfect album to close a career, but also not a perfect album for someone who isn't already a pretty big fan of the band to listen to before hearing all of their other albums first. Hope you enjoy both. :-)

Luroda and DesolateEarth like this.
  22. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

I agree with this!! Dark is my second favourite after Cities

23. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

Yay!! Good to see New Surrender get some love

24. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

I thought that album was good when it first came out, favourite track was Live Fast Die Young. But haven't revisited it at all since the month it was released

25. DesolateEarth

Birb

Completely agree with this. Vital/Devotion, Cities, and Lowborn are the three records I come back to the most. I personally love the direction the last couple of records took them and believe they went out on such a strong note. I highly recommend them as well.

Luroda and Benjamin Lee like this.