Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anberlin Band • Page 22

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by contra11mundum, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Dark sucks

SpyKi likes this.
  2. When the album came out I praised it very highly, rightfully -- cause Cities is great ... but would mock that song pretty frequently in the forums. We'd playfully jibe each other online about it over the years. I think it was the (really badly sounding early) podcast we did with the band here where they bring it up again and I made a crack about still being right and someone says something like, actually in hindsight you probably were, we like the song but it doesn't fit right on the album. Heh.

And they're right. It's a fine song (although I still think it's a pretty run of the mill song) that fits better on the previous album and not with the vibe of Cities as a whole. I think even something like "Uncanny" (especially if fleshed out) fits in the theme and vibe of the album better ... and that "Adelaide" stands out like a label wanting a single on a CD, but where that "single" isn't super great though.

3. Lucas27

Trusted

I really do get all of this, although I think the heavy amount of synths and vocal layering in "Adelaide" help keep it cohesive with the rest of Cities. I think "Inevitable" is actually a bigger stylistic departure from the rest of the record, even though I think the whole thing flows perfectly.

4. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

When Cities came out I was not a fan of Adelaide, and definitely would have agreed that it didn't fit on the album.

But it grew on me and now, probably because of nostalgia, I can't imagine the album without it.

But yeah, The Haunting would have been a more cohesive choice for the album.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  5. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

My most controversial opinion about this band: I don't like The Haunting and it'd be my least favorite on Cities by a wide margin

NewSurrender likes this.
  6. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Hello Alone should've been a damn single. Such a powerful jam.

7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

The Haunting is one of my favourite songs by them and I still wouldn't change Cities to add it. Uncanny would be a better choice if I was going to swap something.

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. contra11mundum

The Haunting is a damn near perfect song.

vidiviciveni and js977 like this.
  9. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

The Haunting is top five Anberlin for me and I can't believe it was a b-side.

vidiviciveni and js977 like this.
  10. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

The Haunting has always been pretty low tier Anberlin for me.

It's like this weird Blueprints/Cities hybrid and I really don't think it works that well. Haha never got why that song is so highly praised among fans.

Jusscali likes this.
  11. Lucas27

Trusted

Is The Haunting excellent? Yes. Would it have fit ln Cities? I don't think so. I'd be curious to see where in the tracklist the band would've put it. Or Uncanny for that matter.

12. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Did you stop listening before the chorus??

beachdude42, CoffeeEyes17 and SpyKi like this.
  13. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

No. haha I've listened to the song a lot over the years.

14. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

I don't hear any resemblance between The Haunting and Blueprints.

beachdude42, Davjs, SpyKi and 3 others like this.
  15. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

If it were up to me I'd just drop Adelaide and make it 11 tracks but I also don't really have any issue with that song or that album haha

chhholly123 and js977 like this.
  16. DesolateEarth

Birb

I love Cities just the way it is (including "Adelaide") but I also feel like "The Haunting" is an amazing song and too strong to be a b-side.

SpyKi and chhholly123 like this.
  17. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Sorta helps to think it's too good to be overshadowed by other songs on a proper album. The only other thing I listen to on lost songs is baby please come home.

DesolateEarth likes this.
  18. DesolateEarth

Birb

"Downtown Song" and the covers of "Like A Rolling Stone" and "Enjoy The Silence" are fantastic too imo.

contra11mundum and js977 like this.
  19. Davjs

Trusted

From Lost Songs, I also go back to A Day Late and Unwinding Cable Car Acoustic.

And Glass to Arson 8 bit :-O

20. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

i can get behind this. the song is great and the band knew that too to kick off lost songs with it. they probably didnt want to overshadow the already perfect ending to that album by putting that on there. i dont think it would fit in the beginning, and the last 4 songs end the album perfectly, so i like the idea of it as a standalone piece.

js977 likes this.
  21. contra11mundum

This new Stephen Christian worship album, album art, song titles and the song he released are......not good.

22. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Has their ever been a "good" worship album? The focus and writing material tends to be a tad narrow and monotonous.

You all are serious Anberlin fans, I've always been more of a casual one. Loved "Paperthin Hymn", "The Unwinding Cable Car", "Haight Street", "Art of War", "The Haunting", etc., but I can't say there's ever been an album that really blew me away, and I lost interest sometime around Vital.

23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yep, it's being released through BEC so that's what you expect. WHY? I wish he'd taken the opportunity to put something out that was a bit more raw and authentic. He might still surprise us... but not holding my breath.
    There are some good ones. But when they go down this more 'mainstream CCM route' it doesn't bode well. I'm guessing you might not be looking for one but Loud Harp put out a good album a month or so ago and I've really enjoyed listening to it...

coleslawed likes this.
  24. dlemert

Trusted

*sigh* Yeah this, unfortunately, is about what I expected. Why does all worship music regardless of artist have to sound so damn similar and safe?

25. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Stephen just live streamed part of his performance at a festival in Albuquerque, where he and several others were introduced as "Anberlin" and proceeded to play Paperthin Hymn. But I did NOT see anyone else from Anberlin in this band, and people commenting on the live stream suggested it was the worship band that he leads (Battledrums?) playing Anberlin. But I'm super uncomfortable with how they were introduced as Anberlin.

Edit: I just read more comments and a couple of them suggest that Joey was performing in the band, which I guess would make it better, but there's still no way that's Anberlin.

js977 likes this.