Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anberlin Band • Page 20

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by contra11mundum, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Not sure if any of you listen to the band Trash Boat but occasionally their singer's vocals reminds me of Stephen from around the time of NTFP. Their song "Strangers" especially has some shouty moments that take me back to when I first heard NTFP. This band is nowhere near as compelling as Anberlin IMO but I do really like this song and the slight vocal similarities.

js977 likes this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

How's the internet tough guy pose working for you? Boosting your self-esteem?

3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Adelaide is needed on Cities imo. Having that pop moment at the beginning works so well.

4. Barcara

Regular

Would you keep it in the same spot or move it?

5. bodkins

Trusted

I like this.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. cshadows2887

bodkins likes this.
  7. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

This is especially true in light of Stephen's insistence that the NS version of Feel Good Drag is better than the original. He's simply incorrect.

coleslawed and atlas like this.
  8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

The chorus of Adelaide is the only bit of Cities that I don't like. My least favourite song on a brilliant album.

9. Lucas27

Trusted

I can't hear "Godspeed" on its own without the beginning of "Adelaide" popping in my mind right after. It just flows.

coleslawed, cshadows2887 and SpyKi like this.
  10. That's mostly my fault. Heh. Everyone can blame me for that one.

Greg likes this.
  11. Lucas27

Trusted

Hide behind your half-smile, but the truth is so undeniable (that Adelaide rocks).

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. Too straight forward and cliche for me. It's the simple version where the band usually didn't take that route. Still a skip for me.

Lucas27, awakeohsleeper and Greg like this.
  13. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

JRGComedy likes this.
  14. dlemert

Trusted

Wait, whisper & clamor is your LEAST favorite?? It's one of my top 5 Anberlin songs, period.

truelovewaits, Lucas27 and Davjs like this.
  15. dlemert

Trusted

I'll back the Adelaide love and say that Cities just wouldn't be Cities without it

coleslawed, truelovewaits and Owlex like this.
  16. Davjs

Trusted

That is a hard question. I feel like track 3 is too early of a spot for a song like that, but it's similar to Fin* so it needs to be as far away as possible from it. If I had a choice, I'd move Mathematics to 3, and make The Haunting track 6.

What's the story there?

17. Micah511 May 26, 2017
    (Last edited: May 26, 2017)
    Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

the ones already mentioned are great, but if we could throw out a heavy hearted work of staggering genius, ending NTFP on The Feel Good Drag, Audrey Start the Revolution, and Dance Dance Christa Paffgen, that's pretty hard to beat.

Also Adelaide is fine. i wont skip it, but its never going to be my favorite. If anyone here is a coheed fan, claudio says he doesnt like crossing the frame off good apollo and wishes he didnt put it on there. doesnt keep me from loving it though.

whisper and clamor rules, especially the bridge to ending.

Barcara likes this.
  18. cshadows2887

Cities is slightly overpraised because it doesn't have enough songs like "Adelaide".

Come at me, bros.

Owlex likes this.
  19. Davjs

Trusted

I have a feeling there is an alternate universe where Cities had a lot of Adelaide type songs and they lost their fanbase, retiring and never releasing another album.

coleslawed and Greg like this.
  20. cshadows2887

You mean what happened in their real career arc...?

21. Micah511

i think new surrender is their most commercially successful album just because of feel good drag.

22. Davjs

Trusted

Well, after Cities they had 4 more albums and years of successful touring. I think The Feel Good Drag has the record for longest playing #1 single on rock stations or something like that too. So not exactly lol

23. cshadows2887

Right but after that song broke, their albums were released to progessively less and less fanfare as they, like almost every other band in the scene/genre, bled fans. They did get that little "farewell tour" boost, but that's all that was.

24. Micah511

not really. fans of cities were let down by new surrender, felt dark is the way was better but still not quite all there, but most fans thought vital was a true return to form, with lowborn only a hair behind it in terms of quality. they went out on top.

coleslawed likes this.
  25. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Dark was the low point. I'm surprised they still had Vital in them after that album.

Jason Tate and Jusscali like this.