Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anberlin Band • Page 139

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by contra11mundum, Mar 12, 2016.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I wish Cities had a bit more bass, but I'm happy with the production overall.

2. balloon.pilot

Regular

I think I get what you're saying. Cities is my all time favourite record but the production and mixing seemed to improved on the following records. It is hard to describe but it just feels a bit less dynamic maybe?

beachdude, bodkins and mmhmm like this.
  3. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Cities can kind of feel "maxed out" and doesn't really give each instrument room to breathe, but that was kind of how all bands sounded in this era.

beachdude, mmhmm and bodkins like this.
  4. bodkins

Trusted

Yea definitely a product of the time. Everything was over compressed in an attempt to give it a wall of sound vibe. I’d be really intrigued to get a newly mixed Cities. Lots of great songs.

beachdude and mmhmm like this.
  5. Micah511

I think it was in an effort to sound "big". Back then there was still a chance of that breakthrough radio hit (see Feel Good Drag), so albums were kind of produced in a way to try to shoot for that.

beachdude, mmhmm and bodkins like this.
  6. Spazzy McGee

Regular

I definitely echo what people are saying. Music production back then, to me, was very “crunchy” in that all the instruments sound like they were recorded together then forced through a master EQ channel so it’s that typical wall of sound

I think for the LP boxset they mention a different mixing process for Cities but I can’t remember the details

7. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

I'd be surprised if they actually remixed anything in the box set. I know for sure they were remastered (had to be for Cities and New Surrender to fit on a single LP). But perhaps the remastering did something to help.

Anyone finding something to like about the Cities livestream mix?

8. Micah511

Not really. Anberlin is great live because of their energy and crowd interactions, but otherwise I'd just listen to the albums.

9. balloon.pilot

Regular

For me the one song that really improves with the live version is "There is No Mathematics to Love and Loss" ... both on the Live in NY album and this livestream. The guitars seem way heavier live which really helps the song imo

beachdude and Spazzy McGee like this.
  10. Spazzy McGee

Regular

I’m going to listen to the Cities vinyl soon and compare then report back, now I’m really curious

beachdude and balloon.pilot like this.
  11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I often forget this band created "Dissenter," what a wild fucking song for them to release. I can't say I love it, but I appreciate them going for it

12. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

:heart: dissenter

beachdude and anonimito like this.
  13. Micah511

Dissenter is cool but Dead American does that vibe better for me

StoJa9 likes this.
  14. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Not the best they’ve sounded.

15. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

But got damn would I love a Jimmy Eat World / Anberlin tour

16. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

VITAL STREAM PLS

17. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

They confirmed it's coming during the livestream. Awyeah.

18. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Yeah they said two more albums and a bunch of more stuff apparently. Pretty cool.

Always hope to hear an update on the album on these streams.

beachdude, Spazzy McGee and anonimito like this.
  19. anonimito Mar 6, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 6, 2021)
    anonimito

Abelian Supporter

I know it's extremely unlikely, but Devotion live would be amazing. Vital is my favorite album of theirs, but some of the "extra" tracks on Devotion are among my top favorite songs, too. Maybe they'll do a b-sides stream eventually to pick some of those up. They already played "I'd Like to Die" in an earlier stream, so I don't think it's out of the question to hear non-album tracks, so to speak.

20. zsoty27

"I am the patron saint of lost causes"

I really, I mean really hope that they'll do the two more live records (Vital and Lowborn) and after that they will announce the new record and (maybe?) play it live on stream as well?

21. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Well they confirmed the first part of your request so...fingers crossed on the second part. Meheh.

anonimito likes this.
  22. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

yeah I have slept on all these livestreams but I will go all in on a vital one, fave album of theirs by a mile

23. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

If I were going to show someone Anberlin for the first time I’d just give them Devotion and let them go from there. What an impressive collection of songs.

24. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

How was the stream? Worth getting and watching?

25. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

It's a great way to spend $12 and support a band like Anberlin.