Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anberlin Band • Page 104

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by contra11mundum, Mar 12, 2016.

1. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

No matter what, all this is really making me miss this band.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  2. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

lol when he tries to go an octave higher. Just sounds like a child screaming in pain.

3. We Owe This To Ourselves still rips

Impossible too

ezmo311, disambigujason and anonimito like this.
  4. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I saw their farewell tour in Chicago 4 years ago today. I ugly-face cried during Fin. Unforgettable night.

5. this is controversial but Closer is a Sick Song!

6. reid

@joemochas

They did that tour once early early early in Anberlin & Copeland's career.

7. reid

@joemochas

Honestly, i'm surprised stephen & joey were as open as they were about it. the rest of the guys, i'm not surprised given how they had just spent the past year talking about the band's end (your post went up just 51 days after the band's last show).

8. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Yeah “Cities” still slays.

teebs41 and DesolateEarth like this.
  9. AAAAAA DELLLLLL AAAAAIDEEEEE

10. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Yes, I recognize that, but I was aiming to capture the history of the band, not just their decision to disband.

11. other side is one of my low key favorites

12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Did you only contact them after they’d finished or were you working on it during their final year? Not that it really matters, just interested how long it took you to put together!

13. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

I got in touch with them (Stephen, at least) in the spring of that year IIRC, and then started working on the project on my own using all the info I could find online and in all the various interviews they’d done online over the years. Then at a Warped Tour stop early that summer I took them all a printed copy of the first few sections and told them I’d be coming to another Warped date later in the summer and that I would love to talk with them then if they were interested/available. That second Warped date was when Stephen set up a chat with Joey for me. And I talked to Stephen on the phone once or twice that fall. I wasn’t working on it constantly by any means but it was probably 9 or 10 months from when I started it to when I posted it all online.

14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I appreciate your hard work. It’s an excellent overview and insightful. I don’t think you did anything wrong by asking every member if they’d chip in and I’m pleased you got Stephen and Joey to get involved!

Edit: also I think this info highlights that the above critique was a bit harsh. This is no different to a journalist asking for an interview. It’s their choice to say yes or no but it wasn’t as though you were badgering them just after they’d finished.

beachdude and Matt Metzler like this.
  15. Chickenmcbringinits

i like food

Literally ditto to this whole post. Shit was emotional as hell.

contra11mundum and beachdude like this.
  16. Davjs

Trusted

Any guesses to their first set back? As an opening, I'd assume only like 7-8 songs with the hits probably.

Something like:
    Paperthin Hymn
    A Day Late
    Godspeed
    Dismantle.repair
    We Owe This to Ourselves
    Impossible
    Self Starter
    Feel Good Drag

disambigujason likes this.
  17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I know they’re technically an opener but the way the poster set it up, the fact that they’re friends with Underoath and the fact that they’re getting back together for this show makes me think it’ll be more of a longer “co-headlining” set. At least 10 songs, maybe more!

coleslawed and Davjs like this.
  18. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

So I’m listening to DITW all the way through for the first time in ages, and uh, its honestly really awesome? Pray Tell and Art of War back to back rivals any 1-2 punch in the discog. I think Stephen has his best vocal performance on this record as well.

awakeohsleeper, azzy01, Owlex and 8 others like this.
  19. DesolateEarth

Birb

I dunno if I would say it's the best since there are a lot of fantastic 1-2 punches in this bands existence, but it is certainly one of the good ones!

Davjs likes this.
  20. Lucas27

Trusted

Should I rank the band's best runs of songs? I'll answer my own question. Sure!

1. Self-Starter - Little Tyrants - Other Side [Vital]
    2. Inevitable - Dismantle. Repair. - (*Fin) [Cities]
    3. Closer - You Belong Here - Pray Tell [DITW, LIAP]

I know, I left Art of War out. Interestingly, I find that the best Anberlin songs tend to be scattered on each album. These are the three big exceptions for me.

21. DesolateEarth

Birb

You forgot Orpheum - Modern Age - God, Drugs, and Sex.

22. my wack ass ranking

Vital
    Dark Is The Way
    Cities
    Never Take Friendship Personal
    Lowborn
    New Surrender
    Blueprints

disambigujason and anonimito like this.
  23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Oh damn this might be my ranking too

anonimito likes this.
  24. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

The end of NTFP (Feel Good Drag, Audrey, Christa Paffgen), Cities (Inevitable, Dismantle.Repair, (fin)), beginning of Vital (Self Starter, Little Tyrants, Other Side) and beginning of Lowborn (We Are Destroyer, Armageddon, Stranger Ways).

Davjs, JRGComedy and DesolateEarth like this.
  25. Lucas27

Trusted

Yeah, almost put that! I’d go one further and put Type Three in that grouping too!

End of NTFP and especially the beginning of Lowborn came to mind for me too. I also really happen to love Atonement through Losing it All on Lowborn even though Birds of Prey and Dissenter are pretty divisive.

Micah511 likes this.