Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anberlin Announce New Show

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Anberlin have announced a show with Underoath in December. Their website has also been updated.

I’m honestly shocked. I remember reading this and everything else the band said when they did their final tour, and thinking they’d be one of the bands to never come back:

Honestly, we as Anberlin will never play another show. It would have to be such grandiose circumstances to change that, somebody sick, or something that’s just overwhelming that we couldn’t say no to. But I think it would take away from the legacy that we built, or tried to build anyway, as Anberlin, and I think it would take away from these shows if we were like “2018 we’re going to do a reunion!”

I think it’s kinda funny in hindsight that he mentioned 2018 specifically.

12/14/18 – USF Sun Dome, Tampa, FL. Underoath // Anberlin. We'll Live Forever… https://t.co/Oh9JPcKPS5 pic.twitter.com/VaWaVN0AaP

— Anberlin (@anberlin) October 18, 2018

2. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Hahahahaha that 2018 statement is gold.

I like the band though, excited for them!

Chloe and Jason Tate like this.
  3. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Next to Bayside and Less Than Jake, I've seen Anberlin live more times than any other band I enjoy ... but not getting too excited for a one-and-done engagement.

joe.boy.fresh. and Jason Tate like this.
  4. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

If Name Taken can do it, any band can.

5. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

The only band I've seen more times than Anberlin is Underoath (my favorite band). Even though I've seen both bands perform literally every song of theirs I could ask to hear, my first mental response upon seeing this was, "How do I get to Tampa in December?"

disambigujason likes this.
  6. PDPOUTCAST

Wow this is unreal. I know how a lot of people, including myself, feel about bands saying they’re never getting back together but end up reuniting but damn it welcome back Anberlin. I’ll see my Tampa people there!

Jared Luttrell likes this.
  7. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

The reason bands grandstand about breaking up/farewell tours is dolla dolla bill ya'll

If they were moderately successful and are still young, they'll be back in some capacity.

If Yellowcard or Motion City aren't back with new shows or music by 2021, I'll eat my hat.

8. ianzandi

Regular

It’s gotta be more than a one-off. The taped picture kinda represents more I feel like. And they would promo this as a ONE NIGHT ONLY THING.

Switchfoot is supposed to have some news tomorrow too. Copeland/switchfoot/anberlin tour? One can hope

Mrplum5089, K0ta, Chloe and 2 others like this.
  9. CMilliken

Trusted

Waiting on that Yellowcard reunion show. Gonna be sweet!

K0ta likes this.
  10. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I don’t mind them changing their minds, but if it’s just for a one-off show to open for Underoath.

Idk. Doesn’t seem worth breaking the legacy and whatnot.

Hoping for more than this.

Always have and always will love this band.

11. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Aaron Marsh doesn't like touring IIRC, so you can probably count Copeland out.

Connor likes this.
  12. contra11mundum

Aaron said this in a recent interview though, so who knows! Lol

“That fire I was talking about earlier, I think we finally have that back again. Like those “We could play on TV” type dreams. I don’t know, I‘ve always wanted to play on The Late Show [laughs] … it’s always been one of my goals. We want to do another tour in Southeast Asia. We always love our time there. Indonesia, in particular.”

coleslawed, Connor and Matt Metzler like this.
  13. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Oh, wow. Missed that one!

14. contra11mundum

Connor and anonimito like this.
  15. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Dang, thanks for sharing this! Although I feel like the wording at the end of the article is kinda ambiguous and I wonder if the writer means that the two songs Aaron mentioned are the material that will be out before the year's over, or if the whole album will be out. Hopefully the latter!

contra11mundum likes this.
  16. contra11mundum

That’s a good point. Hadn’t thought of that. Either way, so excited!

17. brothemighty

Trusted

That quote lol

18. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I am so excited for them and the Florida fans but damn if I'm upset that I'm going to this tour earlier in the month and it's not that date lol. Anberlin is one of my favorite bands of all time, I have a tattoo of their lyrics it would be a dream to see them again. If there's any band that can do a comeback and have to eat their words I hope it's them.

19. JulieLynn

Surely Someone's Gonna Save Me Now Supporter

What a thing that would be, huh?

CMilliken likes this.
  20. KyleK Oct 19, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 19, 2018)
    KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I've probably said it before, but I think it's unfair to give bands criticism about returning from retirement. They're critiqued if they end without giving their fans a proper farewell, and they're critiqued if they do a big farewell tour and years later their lives or relationship changes and they decide to reunite. As far as I see it, I imagine most bands genuinely don't think or know if they'll ever get back together, so they err on the side of caution to make sure they go out the way they'd want, and provide closure in case they never reunite.

I'd add, we should probably be less selfish and precious about a band's legacy, and remember that it's their legacy to manage, and there are a lot of fans who may have missed their farewell run, or maybe new fans who never had the opportunity to see them live. Our memories of a farewell tour don't have to change, but we should be happy that the band or other fans can create their own new ones.

But I make this point with a few conditions: 1) Don't gouge your fans on that farewell tour, because if you do reunite, you'll have some bitter folks who will resent having paid so much extra. Actually, just don't gouge your fans. 2) Don't fake or misrepresent a farewell tour if you always intend to reunite. All of my previous points are giving the benefit of the doubt to the band that their motivations for a "farewell tour" are genuine, and if they're not, I change my tune.

21. The Format

Regular

It's funny to me how different these bands are from each other but the comradery is so strong to get a big reunion together.

Connor likes this.
  22. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Whenever a band calls it quits I usually feel like they will do some kind of reunion in the future but with Anberlin I really thought they were done for good. I'm surprised to see they are playing again. I don't need to get any new music from them but seeing them live would be special.

Connor likes this.
  23. brothemighty

Trusted

This is what happens when all the old band members still live in the same cul-de-sac together

coleslawed, CMilliken and Connor like this.
  24. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

...but that’s not even close to accurate for this band? Stephen lives on the other side of the country.

coleslawed and AshlandATeam like this.
  25. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Anberlin has been one of my favorite bands since like 2005, and Stephen is one of my favorite songwriters in the world. If they wanna come back in whatever capacity, fine. Why should that bother anyone who cares about the band? And I drove like 15 hours and two states away to see them on their farewell tour - it was one of my favorite nights ever. Why wouldn’t I be stoked for another opportunity for a night like that, for me or other people?

Anberlin coming back is only good. There isn’t a drawback. And I can’t imagine loving the band and feeling otherwise (like a big percentage of the fan base seems to).

coleslawed likes this.