Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chavista Club World • Page 19

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Fetonte released an absolutely unhinged statement in which he, among other things, sounds like an 80 year old trump supporter attacking fake news from the college internet coffee shop know it alls. he also says that the south african police union is good

South Africa's police log of brutality

Richter915 and Dominick like this.
  2. Wharf Rat

Richter915 and cubsml34 like this.
  3. Wharf Rat

it IS cool that fetonte is aggressively anti-gamer. thats hilarious

4. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Jose, jawstheme, Richter915 and 3 others like this.
  5. Wharf Rat

Searching "fetonte" on twitter is real fun

6. Our Two Dads

starring Danny Fetonte and Bill Mitchell

Wharf Rat likes this.
  7. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

8. Wharf Rat

Has anyone read any of Lars Lih's work on re-interpreting "What Is To Be Done?"

9. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I've read it.

10. Wharf Rat

All 800 pages? Whatd you think?

11. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I thought it was really good at putting Lenin's thought at the time into context, i.e., within the mainstream of social democrats at the time and not espousing some authoritarian theory.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  12. Wharf Rat

Yeah I originally learned it as a major departure from orthodox Marxism and it's interesting how that conception basically comes from only reading the manifesto and WITBD without enough European context

13. lightning

jawstheme and cubsml34 like this.
  14. Wharf Rat

Here's a sort of takedown of Lih that afaict more or less reflects the opinion of non-cold warrior academics on the subject

The Real Vladimir Lenin

15. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Far From Seamless: a workers' inquiry at Deliveroo - Viewpoint Magazine

And

And

16. finnyscott

I'm from New York. No, not the city.

The good thing about being on a metro for ~two hours a day is I'll have time to read the mountain of articles and books that have been recommended here. I'll definitely be asking questions.

Also just a quick shoutout to everyone in this thread who's giving really good explanations and resources. Really appreciated.

Robk and LWS like this.
  17. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

So there's been a ton written about the 1917 revolution this past year, but I'm curious if anyone knows of some good stuff to check out that focuses on the years/decades following October, basically what it was like when Lenin was still alive, how it industrialized/developed and became more bureaucratized, how/why its policies changed over time, etc. I guess just some generally broad histories from at least the revolution to WW2 which I can then use to pick out what figures/events/groups I find most interesting and go from there

18. Wharf Rat

I've recently had a bunch of Soviet history works recommended to me, none of them really fit your ask of a general history in that period but maybe you'll wanna read one of them or can find a different one by a related author or something. Most of these are academic works of history I think.

Isaac Deutcher's bio of Trotsky is legendary, and Marcel Liebman's Leninism Under Lenin has been compared to it. Moshe Lewin's Lenin's Last Struggle is about the political struggle post-revolution and how it shaped the rising bureaucracy of the USSR. Alexander Rabinowitch's The Bolsheviks in Power is about a similar time period, concerned with the origins of Soviet authoritarianism in the first year after the revolution. Rabinowitch also has a great book called Prelude to Revolution that I've actually read some of for class that goes into the leadup.

Marx&Recreation likes this.
  19. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

In looking for books I actually came across a different Moshe Lewin work - "The Soviet Century" - that seems to be more what I'm looking for, though it extends throughout the whole history of the USSR

And I have Rabinowitch's "The Bolsheviks Come to Power," and so I had heard of the "sequel" but it seems to be limited to the first year, so yeah that pushed me away from it.

Thanks tho, I'm adding all of those to my list

Wharf Rat likes this.
  20. OdranWaldo

Brendan Rodgers Young Team Prestigious

i'm about to go back to the revolution betrayed by trotsky

21. lightning

Contender and cubsml34 like this.
  22. lightning

who renamed the thread? i've been wanting that for a while. title makes more sense haha

Contender likes this.
  23. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

opinion: title the thread "far leftist thread"

24. title it Horseshoe Theory: The Thread

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  25. lightning

Contender and MexicanGuitars like this.