Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

An Oral History of MySpace Music

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Stereogum released an oral history of MySpace Music.

As a new decade begins, it seems worthwhile to look back at the website that defined not just the previous era, but the way we continue to consume and discuss music online, in order to contemplate both how we got to our present moment and what we have lost along the way. In Stereogum’s oral history of Myspace Music, twenty artists and former Myspace executives discuss their experience both using and working on the site, living through the bubble years, and why it couldn’t last forever.

2. Alex DiVincenzo

BrokeHorrorFan.com

Featuring an Absolutepunk mention, albeit not the most flattering one.

3. oh the good ol' days... haha

4. pbueddi

Trusted

Interesting read. Part of me misses those days though lol.

5. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

MySpace was amazing for the warped tour music scene and it just makes me sad how the music landscape has changed since the downfall of the website. I always feel like an old man when I think about it.

6. Orla Mar 30, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 30, 2020)
    Orla

little old lady Prestigious

This was a fun read.

From 2005-2008, Myspace wasn’t just far and away the best site for bands in my area to gain fans, but also to book gigs. Any time I’d asked/ been asked to emcee a battle of the bands during that time, it was done via Myspace, too.

7. myawrld

Regular

While I loved Myspace..... Purevolume > Myspace

8. Longnights

MP3.com is what really set things off and aol chat rooms put together many bands in our scene.

9. cherrywaves

Trusted

Really brought me back to my first couple years of posting on AP. good read

Petit nain des Îles likes this.