Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Finger Style Guitar • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jdr2187, Feb 3, 2021.

1. jdr2187

jdr2187

I’ve prob listened to this song like 50 times in the past few days. Just perfection.

tomdelonge likes this.
  2. tomdelonge

Trusted

His album Third is pretty good too

jdr2187 likes this.
  3. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Nathan Salsburg album August 20th!

4. jdr2187

jdr2187

5. jdr2187

jdr2187

Great new Cameron Knowler out today!

6. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Hayden Pedigo album coming out next month.

7. jdr2187

jdr2187

Unfortunately this thread seems to have died but I’m going to share this anyways bc it’s incredible. Also going to share this Joseph Allred album for the same reason.

Gjpeace likes this.
  8. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

New album from Ben Chasny (Six Organs of Admittance) fits well here.

jdr2187 likes this.
  9. jdr2187 Jan 4, 2022
    (Last edited: Jan 4, 2022)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

Decided to rename the thread to Finger Style Guitar. I wasn’t initially aware of any negative connotation associated with the term “American Primitive”.

Anyways here’s a really good read. It also briefly touches on what I mentioned above. There are also some posts on the first page that touch on the subject.

https://www.vikingschoice.org/archive/you-can-fingerpick-anything-2021-in-guitar-music/

Also a cool round up of recent guitar music by Aquarium Drunkard.

https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2022/0...recent-recommended-21st-century-guitar-music/

mesi likes this.
  10. jdr2187

jdr2187

Good albums.

mesi and Nate_Johnson like this.
  11. tomdelonge

Trusted

ive been listening to this album a ton the past month or so. It’s so good

12. kellybresciani7

I'm going to listen to this album right now. I know that it is not so popular now, but I have heard more works by this author and was just shocked. After that, I often began to sit on the Best Acoustic Guitars website and even think about buying myself a guitar and starting practising. It seems to me that this is incredibly difficult, but after all, guitar playing geniuses also once knew nothing and were as young as me. In this case, the most important thing is desire, and I have it in abundance. I would also like to know if someone here could practice the guitar with me. I will be very much waiting for any answers

13. tomdelonge

Trusted

Yes

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Do you happen to have an 8 string? I only play djent.

15. jdr2187

jdr2187

16. jdr2187

jdr2187

Some good ones out today.

17. Ashley Dent

Before you begin playing the following fingerstyle guitar exercises, make sure you have your right-hand grip in the position shown above. Once you have this, repeat the sequence for one cycle before returning to this place. One beat is equivalent to one cycle. Before starting the next cycle, return to your right-hand grip position. After each cycle of the finger-picking patterns below, reset this right-hand grip position. For each exercise, you should set your right-hand grip position four times.

This isn't exactly how you'd play fingerstyle on a guitar, but it will considerably aid in emphasising the proper position for your right hand.

The right-hand grip technique is demonstrated in the first audio of each example below so you can understand exactly what you need to perform. Each example's second audio simply repeats the fingerstyle pattern in its entirety.

It's also worth mentioning that when playing guitar fingerstyle, your right hand's wrist and arm remain motionless. Only your fingers will be required to move. Keep this in mind as you play because it's crucial to developing great fingerstyle guitar technique.

Exercise 1a is a forward arpeggio in which the top three strings are played in order from lowest to highest. Exercise 1b is a reverse arpeggio in which the top three strings are played from the highest to the lowest. Before starting to play any guitar, make sure you know the basic functions of guitar parts, which will help you to become a better guitarist in the long run.

18. jdr2187 Jun 23, 2023
    (Last edited: Jun 23, 2023)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

This one is a real beauty.

Gjpeace likes this.
  19. jdr2187

jdr2187

20. KTSs

Fingerstyle guitar is a technique where the player uses their fingers to pluck the strings, rather than using a pick. It allows for a wide range of sounds and textures, as each finger can pluck a different string simultaneously. Fingerstyle playing is common in many genres, including folk, blues, classical, and even some forms of rock and pop music. It often involves intricate picking patterns and can be quite challenging to master but is incredibly rewarding due to the beautiful and complex sounds it can produce.