Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Finger Style Guitar

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jdr2187, Feb 3, 2021.

1. jdr2187

jdr2187

I’ve thought about making threads for specific albums/artist in this genre before over the years but was never sure if anybody else around here was really interested and figured most of them would just end up DOA. So here’s a thread to discuss artists and albums than fall into that category.

My primary reason for making this thread is the new Yasmin Williams album Urban Driftwood. Easily one of the best and most interesting album in this genre I’ve heard in a while.

TriangularDuck and Orla like this.
  2. jdr2187

jdr2187

Another good one that came out earlier this month.

3. jdr2187 Feb 16, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 16, 2021)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

mesi likes this.
  4. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I think you might be the only one that knows what this genre is

5. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah it seems that way, but I know I’ve at least seen William Tyler, Ryley Walker, and guys like that mentioned around here over the years.

6. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I’ve never heard the term before but I’m listening to the Yasmin Williams album now and loving it

7. jdr2187

jdr2187

8. tomdelonge

Trusted

Nice to see this thread!

I love older folks like Fahey, Glenn Kotke, Robbie Basho et al, stoked to check out these new artists

9. tomdelonge

Trusted

Also kind of the opposite of primitive guitar, but I’ve gotten really into Will Ackerman in recent years. The first album especially

10. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

I found Yasmin Williams just recently and have really loved Urban Driftwood! She reminds me a lot of Nathan Salsburg, or someone like Andy Mckee (but more consciously rooted in tradition than him, perhaps?).

But American primitive guitar is a new term to me. Definitely thrown off by it being called that haha.

11. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah wasn’t sure what to call it exactly, I initially named it instrumental guitar but didn’t get a single reply. If anybody has a better name I’ll update it. I actually got American Primitive Guitar from here. American primitive guitar

12. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

I'm glad to learn more about it as a particular genre. "Fingerstyle" is a more recognizable term to me, but I'm not sure whether that has its own distinctions?

Cool that you made this thread, I'll definitely go back and check out the other artists you mentioned too.

jdr2187 likes this.
  13. jdr2187

jdr2187

14. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

That Yasmin Williams album is really special. I need to poke around in this subgenre a bit.

jdr2187 likes this.
  15. Gjpeace Mar 21, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 21, 2021)
    Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Given all the discussion of the genre name in here, it’s probably worth reading Yasmin Williams’ brief thread on it and the Fahey comparisons from the other day:

Whatever you want to call it, Mason Lindahl’s new album deserves more recognition than it’s received this year (despite a glowing review from P4K). It will definitely end up on my AOTY list:

Also, Andrew Weathers & Hayden Pedigo’s recent collaboration is pretty good too, as is the recent collab between Cameron Knowler and Eli Winter:

Big Tex, Here We Come, by Andrew Weathers & Hayden Pedigo

Anticipation, by Cameron Knowler & Eli Winter

I’ve been listening to a lot of this stuff lately; I’ve been drawn more and more to instrumental music these days.

16. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah I’ve been really enjoying that Knowler & Winter collab album. I will def check out the others you mentioned.

17. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

Yasmin really deserves her own thread at this point, but this is mesmerizing:

Also, to the question of genre and the thread that @Gjpeace brought up, the idea that she is reclaiming a world of music that was in a very real sense stolen from her a black woman is fantastic. In that way, while she may be connected to guitarists like Fahey or McKee through some stylistic elements, especially as she makes use of black instruments and influences, she is inhabiting a tradition that is uniquely hers. I love that.

Gjpeace likes this.
  18. tomdelonge

Trusted

Urban Driftwood wowowowow I love it

19. jdr2187

jdr2187

Saw Yasmin list this album recently as one of her favorites so figured I’d it throw out. Checked it out and it’s beautiful stuff.

20. jdr2187

jdr2187

Even though it’s banjo rather than guitar, I highly recommend the new Nathan Bowles & Bill MacKay album.

21. jdr2187

jdr2187

22. tomdelonge

Trusted

Urban Driftwood is by far my most played album so far this year

jdr2187 likes this.
  23. jdr2187

jdr2187

Two good ones available today.

Gjpeace likes this.
  24. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Daniel Bachman album out today. Easily one of the best doing it and the new album is amazing.

cshadows2887 and Gjpeace like this.
  25. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Came here to post that Matthew J. Rolin record. Of course, I was beat to it. Listening to it now and loving it. Between this and the outstanding Bachman record (which veers as far away from guitar as he's gotten so far, doesn't it?), I'm pretty happy.

Here's a cathartic collab track by Rolin and Pete Fosco that I listened to quite a bit when it was released:

jdr2187 likes this.