Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

American Pleasure Club - Fucking Bliss (March 29, 2019) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Jan 31, 2019.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Really really stupid decision but ill still listen to them.

2. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Sam made transphobic comments years ago (I believe on Tumblr). He also made that random call out of Car Seat Headrest a while back. He’s often an edgelord on twitter too.

Carrow likes this.
  3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

i don't think it's that edgy of a band name, it's just a movie reference and I don't see how it can be conceived of as any kind of endorsement or w/e if any of their stuff is given more than a cursory glance

Aaron Mook, Sybil, flask and 2 others like this.
  4. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Knew the name was from Heathers, and I never found the name offensive to me personally, but it’s weird Kitty is adopting this condescending tone for those who are...

6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

brb gonna start a band called Heil Hitler don't worry it's fine it's a quote from Inglourious Basterds /s

Carrow and ItsAndrew like this.
  7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I understand your sentiment but those are definitely not comparable things at all

8. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

could care less about their band name tbh but that "welll now we arnt gonna release the album cause your all sensitive!!! nahahahahahaha" attitude is so stupid

9. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

It's not like that movie is super popular either. It's a niche reference that not a lot of people probably get, so it's understandable people find the band name problematic. Yes, it was reported in a few articles that the band name was from the movie, but not everyone reads articles. Also, in this article that Sam wrote (We Were Teen Suicide), he never once states that the name came from a movie, just that
    So people naturally likely took that to mean he just wanted to be edgy and that is the name he came up with.

10. Anthony_

Also, with all of the examples of media touching on the concept of teen suicide, how the hell is anyone supposed to automatically get they're making this one specific reference?

ItsAndrew likes this.
  11. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

"his label wanted him to change it back and he was like FINE"

i do not understand this particular part of the decision

12. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

In the "We Were Teen Suicide" article he wrote, he literally says that Run For Cover would not make/sell merch with the name "Teen Suicide" on it, so I highly doubt they were the ones who wanted him to change the name back.

Carrow and Anthony_ like this.
  13. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i also don't understand the point of getting petulant and holding back a record because people are uncomfortable with your band name which you yourself admitted was juvenile???? can't imagine the label who apparently wanted him to change the name back are happy he isn't releasing the album?

14. Anthony_

Dude must have some killer legal representation to sneak a "take our toys away and go home because the internet doesn't like our edgelord band name" clause into their record deal.

15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

this, keep the name or don't but he's leaked his own records enough times to make him pretending to care what a label thinks unconvincing

Leftandleaving and matthaber like this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Man these people make good music but their online presence is fucking insufferable. Always has been. Mean, snotty crew

17. that they're going with a shitty name they should have abandoned a long time ago just caps it off, really. assholes.

18. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Looks like Kitty deleted the tweets from above. Interesting.

OotyPa likes this.
  19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Good, she made herself look really petty.

Carrow likes this.
  20. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

21. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

22. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

sam is the only person that can turn a yes or no answer into a book.

23. jesus, I hope he's okay

genericities likes this.
  24. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Holy shit

25. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

tf