Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

American Pleasure Club - Fucking Bliss (March 29, 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Jan 31, 2019.

1. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Larry David likes this.
  2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

3. It's really good.

Larry David likes this.
  4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Weird

5. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

Probably my most anticipated album right now, all three songs released rule, huge Scott Walker vibes

Larry David likes this.
  6. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

Streaming on Bandcamp

RIP Scott Walker

Larry David likes this.
  7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yay

Larry David likes this.
  8. vidiviciveni

Trusted

So uh, what are y’all enjoying about this

9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

personally, i dig the juxtaposition of the really beautiful, washed out ambient parts with the fuzzed out noise. it's a really cool soundscape with engaging themes to help interpret some of what im hearing, but i mostly like how it sounds like the world is ending and any time i get used to one sensation the songs evoke, it hits me w something else, whether it be leaning into that apocalyptic feeling or getting suddenly dream like.

only listened to it the once so far, currently on my second listen, and i kinda wanna compare it to the ricky eat acid stuff but at times this is way more aggressive than any of that stuff is. Phil Elverum's Ocean Roar comes to mind as a nice reference point, esp teasing out tension from unexpected silence

10. vidiviciveni

Trusted

That’s a spot on description but holy hell does it sound awful to me

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah i mean im not sure i enjoy this in quite the same way i would "a whole fucking lifetime of this" or the teen suicide stuff, but i am enjoying it in a way that's not dissimilar to listening to shoegaze or a film score or smth. vivid and evocative when im paying attention but also a vehicle for other thoughts, feelings, scenes, whatever that match this. i dunno is that a cop out? like i don't necessarily disagree that it's combative and abrasive and whatnot but i find it more interesting and engaging than off putting

ItsAndrew, OotyPa, flask and 2 others like this.
  12. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

this is a good comparison, and overall a good post!

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

thanks, I wasn't sure if I was completely off base with that comparison haha. I thought it might also help someone on the fence about listening lol

Larry David likes this.
  14. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

this album is fucking INCREDIBLE

Larry David likes this.
  15. flask

Trusted Supporter

dude just straight up dropped a noise album. very tight.

Larry David and mescalineeyes like this.
  16. mescalineeyes

Lol

Larry David likes this.
  17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I liked this first listen, but I can see how a it’s a tough listen for someone not used to “noise” elements in music.

mescalineeyes and Larry David like this.
  18. mescalineeyes

Well yeah if you don’t want to listen to a noise album don’t listen to a noise album haha

Larry David likes this.
  19. Larry David

This album is one of those albums that keeps pulling me back. I don't even know how to explain it, and I wouldn't know where to even start explaining it to someone for a RIYL. It feels apocalyptic, terrifying, and is a completely enthralling listen

20. Larry David

Also, the album cover is absolutely perfect for the mood of the record

21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

my first inclination in writing a RIYL for this would be first to recommend specific movies and then like other music haha

this this this. Sam's p good at pairing album covers with the music within but this one is definitely in the perfect match category. love when the visuals are complimentary like that

Larry David likes this.
  22. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

easily my fav thing ive heard from them TBH

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

what else do you like by them?

24. mescalineeyes

yeah if anyone could give me a primer to their older stuff I'd be super happy

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  25. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

i volunteer, give me a while to do this and i'll make like distinct categories and succinct playlists for each

mescalineeyes likes this.