Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

American Pleasure Club - A Whole Fucking Lifetime Of This (February 16, 2018) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by brandon_260, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Sybil

Regular

Somehow I had no idea about this. Excited to start listening to this now....

2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

4. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Haha okay lack of avy made me think you got banned or something, carry on

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

sadly not

brandon_260 likes this.
  6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Rude

sophos34 likes this.
  7. Reposting this from a different thread by request of a few users. I'm not saying anyone here should or shouldn't support Sam, but after reading that terrible op-ed he published, I'm done with him for good. I've liked a good amount of the music he's released over the years, but I can no longer in good faith support someone who has so brazenly abused his platform time and time again.

For those of you who don't know, American Pleasure Club is a mutation of the band formerly known as Teen Suicide. It's one of many musical projects helmed by Sam Ray. His other projects include Ricky Eat Acid and Julia Brown.

Obviously, the previous band name is edgy for the sake of being edgy and has rightfully been criticized for normalizing violence and its triggering nature. I have always been against it, even when I listened to and supported his music, because I hate the idea of a privileged dude selling t-shirts and records with that band name on for the sake of money and some shitty, ironic fashion statement.

Despite the band name obviously being offensive, Sam and his fans have often lashed out on anyone who brought it up on Twitter, ignoring all of the criticism while being vitriolic toward anyone who criticized his awful choice to continue with it for years after saying time and time again in interviews that he'd change it eventually, he wanted to change it, it's a bad name, etc. I wish I had links but it looks like he's deleted a lot of his tweets and he tweets so often that it's hard to find things from a few years ago. Trust that I've seen this happen plenty of times from both his @fugazi420 and @Rickyeatacid accounts and I've seen him make personal attacks against people who criticize the name as recently as this year. He also used to search his indirect mentions and spend hours publicly mocking anyone who said they didn’t like his music or whatever. If you’ve followed him on Twitter at any point over the last 4 years or so, this was like a weekly occurrence at one point. Most of his Twitter presence for a while was just harassing anyone who mentioned his band and doing so in a way that let his fans see who was saying these things so they could jump in as well.

On the topic of the op-ed he published last week about changing the name of the band, he basically just admits that he gave the band a bad/offensive/triggering name to get attention and he never changed it because of the money and connections he had already made through it. There’s no apology for the name itself in the piece, nor is there an apology to any of the people he harassed on Twitter for calling this exact behavior out over the years. He doesn't say how he's written criticism off, treated like a joke, or outwardly harassed people for bringing it up. He goes on to end the piece by saying "I truly don’t understand bands who learn people are offended by them, yet, they keep going on” and saying that his old fans tell him the new name is “fucking gay,” which shows an astounding lack of self-awareness from someone who is literally writing an op-ed about his own use of offensive terminology in his band name.

On top of all of that, someone recently shared this with me. Sam has some on-record transphobia (from a number of years ago) in his past that, to the best of my knowledge and research, he has never addressed publicly. [TW: transphobia] An open response to Sam Ray (aka Ricky Eat Acid), who deleted his original posts in defense of his transphobia:

Again, if you like the music, power to you. I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't support Sam, that's a personal choice to make. I'm just putting this out there because with the new band name, I've seen plenty of people here/on Twitter who don't realize this basically just the new TS album. I know I'm not alone in my feelings about Sam, and I got a handful of DMs and texts from people after tweeting about how the op-ed was bad because people are afraid to say anything critical of him on the internet given his history.

OotyPa, Carrow, TheBaroness and 7 others like this.
  8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

There's two songs on this that show up as unavailable on spotify, "let's move to the desert" and "seemed like the whole world was lost" what's the story with them?

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Sample clearance, that was already discussed here haha

Nick likes this.
  10. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

whoops. That's annoying.

11. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I’m quite in love with this

12. Jim

Trusted Supporter

yeah this is really good

13. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

gonna check this out tomorrow

14. Sybil

Regular

What's with the weird 15 sec part at the beginning of "...Desert"? Just is really jarring and out of place....before the actual track starts.

Anyways, this might be my favorite LP he's done. I always liked the "I will be my own hell" album by TS. I originally got into him, found out about him, through his "ricky eat acid" project and his creative relation to Infinity Crush. I feel like this album is way more accessible but not really in a bad way. Something about this just feels more cohesive and trimmed. Really liking it and it's definitely getting more repeat listens than his other albums at release did for me.

I would like it if he switched it up a little more on the acoustic lo-fi tracks on this album...they all kind have a similar vibe/delivery and sometimes bore me a little.

OotyPa and incognitojones like this.
  15. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Not 100% sold on this record yet, I kinda liked how sprawling and messy the last one was, and on an unrelated note I thought that piece Sam wrote came off as extremely disingenuous based on some of the things he’s said on social media

OotyPa likes this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Ya the whole crew sucks on social media but their music is dope

Nick and incognitojones like this.
  17. fucking yikes

18. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

19. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

liking this a little more than i thought i would. really dig the electronic stuff over everything else on it.

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Keep returning to this. Probably in my top 3 of the year so far. Very good stuff

21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

man this opening three song stretch is really something huh. this is heaven and id die for it is specifically incredible

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  22. bedwettingcosmo

yeah that song is money. this whole thing has been growing on me all week.

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

p much same except I got the wrong version with the two songs that weren't cleared for samples ha. I'll fix that soon.

24. bedwettingcosmo

really think the last 2 songs are gorgeous too

25. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

:heart: :heart: :heart: