Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

American Football - American Football (March 22, 2019) Album • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jols, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Jim

Trusted Supporter

i wouldn't have even known it leaked if it weren't for people talking about it. i must be getting fucking old, how does one even know this stuff?

2. It's a fine line.

When I was tasked with assigning pre-release material to writers for review, I knew I was risking the chance that a leak could be the fault of my team/site. That never happened to me (thank goodness), but I saw it happen to friends and their sites. I doubt anyone wants to be the source of a leak, but the chance is there if you share. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to listen to an album early, but doesn't want to share it further. Just don't make someone else feel badly about wanting to listen to it too.

teebs41, beachdude and Connor like this.
  3. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

no yeah i understand that. TBH when i posted i thought the thing had like fully "leaked". I also dont think anyone is entitled to a leak, nor should be pressured to spread a leak/send anyone an album of any kind just cause people asked.

My only thing is ... theres a way to say "hey man, sorry I dont feel conformable sharing the album" or "ah man, sucks that people heard it, leaks sucks" without trying to act like you have a moral high ground.

4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yep exactly. I'm still writing for a music blog and have access to pre-release materials, along with some other writers on our staff... and I definitely worry from time to time about if our site will be the source of a leak somehow. I'm really careful with any advances I get, because the artists/labels are gracious enough to share their work early with us and I don't want to break that trust.

5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I think there’s a difference asking for an already fully leaked album and an album that’s barely out there. Also nothing wrong with asking people who do have it to be cautious...

beachdude and Connor like this.
  6. The Lucky Moose Dec 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 13, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

You’re assuming I wouldn’t buy it if I get the leak, which isn’t the case. I’m definitely buying the vinyl. I also wouldn’t spread it around.

7. jols

Trusted Prestigious

yeah, if people begin discussing the content of the album here AND saying they don't want others to hear it, I'll have a problem.

KidLightning likes this.
  8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Yea this is a very different situation... wanna have a discussion about it? Feel free to pm me

Connor likes this.
  9. kinda on topic, but if you've already pre-ordered an album are you more willing to download the album's leak or do you generally still wait out until you have the physical album in your hands?

beachdude, coleslawed and Connor like this.
  10. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

sooooo, Silhouettes is very much my jam.

and leaks are dumb.

11. They're assuming nothing about you directly. It's clear teebs41 was using the "royal" you to address the thread at large. To respond to that post with so many "I" statements is absurd.

12. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

If i've already preordered it, i will download it if its available usually. I've never downloaded leaks that I haven't already paid for. But I can see how somebody might preorder something after hearing the leak and liking it.

13. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I guess I wasn’t clear, I meant sending out pms with the album download, not asking for them.

beachdude, The Lucky Moose and Connor like this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

Okay, then please change it to “we wouldn’t buy it”, which might or might not be wrong, but is probably wrong given the music nerd character of this forum. Or rather, if you’re (not you) not going to pay for music, you won’t suddenly start paying for it just because the album has been released officially.

15. The Lucky Moose

Or not pay for it if it’s terrible

16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

People misread what I said, and for that I am sorry. I’ve been guilty of downloading leaks myself so I’m not saying it’s wrong. It’s all good.

beachdude, Connor and The Lucky Moose like this.
  17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Not as clear you’d think haha, a lot of people messaged me thinking they were being targeted. But yes I was

beachdude, The Lucky Moose and Connor like this.
  18. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

This thread needs to get back on topic.

beachdude and teebs41 like this.
  19. Connor

I mean do what you want, but I believe that downloading a leak without ever paying for it is ya know... stealing.

20. The Lucky Moose Dec 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 13, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

I mean yeah (though where I live it’s not technically illegal and classified as stealing, rather it is “tolerated”), but then again if I listen to a leak (which I might do once in 5 years if that) and it’s terrible I’m definitely not paying 20€ lol

21. Lol, by letting us all know that you had the full thing, you became the primary reason the thread got on this tangent in the first place.

This following your begging for the single tracks....

Must be a lot easier to ignore the leak debate and talk about the music when you can listen to the leaked music.

22. Connor

Yeah and I totally get that too. If I were to listen to a leak and didn't like the album I would for sure not buy it. I think more out of coincidence then anything I have only ever downloaded leaks for albums I've already been anticipating and preordered.

23. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I've preordered this and plan on downloading the leak when it becomes available...I'm also a terrible person so take my point with a grain of salt. :)

24. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

Cool story Chicken Tender.

25. Connor

Complains about the thread being off topic then posts shitty things like that....