Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

America’s Shadow Workforce Rises Up Against Prison Labor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Carimah Townes, writing for Think Progress, on prison labor in America:

People behind bars are forced to do grueling, back-breaking, and dangerous work for nickles and dimes, while corporations rack up billions of dollars in profit off the cheap labor. They are put to work under the guise of rehabilitation, but the reality is that few people leave prison with the skills, knowledge, or resources to succeed professionally. They are an enticing alternative for large companies that don’t want to pay minimum wage to workers on the outside. And they have had enough.

On Friday, prisoners all over the country launched a national labor strike that’s been months in the making. Their demand is difficult but simple: ending prison slavery for good.

Dominick likes this.
  2. I work alongside California inmates who fight fire. I completely disagree with them being paid $1 or $2 for labor that can easily turn deadly.

I don't think I get paid enough for the danger, and they definitely don't get paid enough. They do receive reduced sentences for their work, but that's not enough.

3. Mr_Hox

Do the inmates get a choice in work assignments?

4. Yeah, they don't have to be firefighters. I don't know anything about the other jobs, though.

5. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I appreciate the attention this site pays to this type of thing. Thanks for posting.

6. ARo24

Regular

This is probably something I would never think about but wow it sure is eye opening. You guys do a tremendous job posting interesting stuff.