Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ambient Music Thread Genre • Page 97

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Jul 1, 2016.

1. JM95

Trusted

Update...it's awesome. The absolute best of ambient music. The sounds feel so organic. The low end frequencies are what's moving me right now but different things already stand out on different listens, like the shimmering, ripple sounds somewhere in the distance on Briefly. It's everything I want from this kind of sprawling, meditative slant of ambient.

The reviews I've read are obviously all commenting on the length and there's no question you could cut tracks off. But it's so good I don't know why you'd want to. Ambient fans are used to lengths approaching that, and this is definitive ambient music, like a Music For Airports (although the title is a subversion of that well-trodden utilitarian formula).

OotyPa likes this.
  2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Double-posting but I thought this might interest some in here. Some of you may know I'm a writer.

Well, I wanted to share this wonderful and weird collaboration with local Philly poet Adam Gianforcaro. A tribute to ambient music pioneer Hiroshi Yoshimura (RIP), a nine-part poem that begins at the end and ends at the beginning [​IMG] Published today by Animal Heart Press and FERAL Journal.

Selections from the Dead Letter Office | Jonathan Koven & Adam Gianforcaro

Jadoch likes this.
  3. OotyPa Sep 30, 2022
    (Last edited: Sep 30, 2022)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Also, since it's getting cooler, listening way more to this genre. Here are some new releases worth your time.

remastered Emeralds album out today

new Other Lands album (RIYL Gaussian Curve, Gigi Masin, ambient with dynamic instrumentation)

new Ian William Craig (RIYL Julianna Barwick, Tim Hecker, Fennesz with wordless vocals)

Jadoch and JM95 like this.
  4. Haruni

Regular

new one from one of my favorites
    ffo grouper

5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

new log(m) and Laraaji collab EP. dubby, spacey, tropical, ambient vibes. If you haven't heard this collab yet then I highly recommend you check them out now. I picked up the first record on vinyl recently and it included this as a bonus. love it.

New Romeo Poirier album. Also very good.

6. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

Anyone want to start a Telegram group for ambient? I'll start it if theres any interest. This website sucks so I don't post much.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I don’t know what Telegram is, sorry :cringe:

new Son of Chi album today and it’s exactly what I want from them (riyl Jon Hassell, The Humble Bee, fourth-world ambient/classic Astral Industries vibe)

Also new album by the fun years (riyl guitar-centric / post-rocky ambient)

Haruni likes this.
  8. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I haven’t listen to TFY in forever but I loved Heroes of the Second Story Walkup so much. How is this new one?

9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

haven't listened yet but will do so this morning!

10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

the fun years album is way more droney than I expected it (in a good way). reminds me of the TWDY album Vespertine that came out a few years ago

11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Seeing Dustin O’Halloran tonight in this really old church in Oslo and I’m very excited

30372704-4042-4E8B-931A-2A40ABB73753.jpeg

B054C11E-57E9-4A07-957F-452AAC0CFF6B.jpeg

duffe, Gjpeace and OotyPa like this.
  12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

that is sure to be amazing

13. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

New KMRU album dropped today!

OotyPa likes this.
  14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

What a beautiful show - acoustics were fantastic, the lighting was great, and he finished the show with an encore that featured “Opus 20” from my favorite soundtrack of all time, “Breathe In”, and also Johann Johannsson’s “Flight From The City”, which was just sublime - overall a great night

B5ED392A-3C96-461B-ADE5-8B28118AC926.jpeg
    B5701BBE-6EB9-4B84-82E0-9F39BE8A961B.jpeg

20151703-3734-4FD3-BA0A-DACAC850BC3B.jpeg

duffe, mesi and OotyPa like this.
  15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

that is a gorgeous venue. sounds like an amazing night

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  16. Weird LiBrary

Regular

Been listening to this one a lot here in October.

17. duffe

I Want To Be There

New Eluvium track

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  18. duffe

I Want To Be There

19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

great release day today for ambient

new Laraaji

new Geotic

new Ulla

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  20. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

This is going to be absolutely magical.

Haruni and JM95 like this.
  21. JM95

Trusted

Put on a pair of headphones and bathe in this.

https://3six.net/album/colours-in-the-dark

Not an interruption in sight (unless bandcamp takes a moment to load up the next track). Lush, saturated melodies, dissipating only to leave just enough room to usher in the next one.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah this is dreamier than biting into a Chipotle burrito with all my favorite fixings - so yeah, it's really good

JM95 likes this.
  23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

utterly gorgeous stuff. on my first listen now, feels like I'm floating

24. JM95

Trusted

Screenshot_20221130-160222.png

25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

My top was ambient too :teethsmile: