Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Amazon Stops Accepting Vinyl and CD Shipments

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Chris Willman, writing at Variety:

Amazon has announced that its warehouses has “temporarily disabled shipment creation” for discretionary items through at least April 5. That doesn’t have to do with the outflow of product from Amazon, but inflow. Amazon is declaring an immediate emphasis on the kind of household and medical supplies that have been quick to sell out, and which customers are having a hard time finding in person. Their message to record labels and distributors: Please stop sending us anything, until further notice.

2. zachmacD

Trusted

Do not buy vinyls from Amazon. You either won’t get it or it’s bad quality

i ordered Currents by Tame Impala and it doesn’t sound great.
    I ordered Limits of Desire by Small Black and they sent me empty box. I reordered and they sent me the wrong record
    I ordered Nella Vita by Grayscale and the record was warped.

fuck Amazon

3. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Amazon isn’t pressing the vinyl. They get it from the artists and the labels. So your problems aren’t all with Amazon but could be where Amazon got it from. I’ve bought stuff from Amazon with no problems. I’ve bought stuff directly from the artist and it’s arrived all kinds of jacked. The nice thing is when it’s from the artist/label you’re more likely to get it taken care of way faster. Amazon isn’t the best but I don’t think they can totally to blame for those issues.

palebluedot and bradsonemanband like this.
  4. heymattrick

Sending my love

I’ve ordered tons of vinyls from Amazon and haven’t ever had an issue. Vinyl shipping can be pretty expensive from some artists’ webstores so free Prime shipping is great for vinyls.

pbueddi likes this.
  5. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Wonder if this is affecting my recent order from Topshelf records. Purchased a vinyl on 3/11 for something that was released on 3/6, but it still has yet to ship.

6. thecobrakais

Regular

i've literally had the exact opposite experience. are you buying from amazon directly or a third party seller?

7. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Tend to agree. As much as I hate Amazon overall, sometimes it's the only way for me to buy albums that aren't available in record stores here or have such insurmountable international shipping prices. It's always shipped to me in a vinyl box, in another box with bubble wrap - if anything I get annoyed by the amount of waste, but the condition is always good.

8. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Same, I’ve had good Amazon vinyl experiences, but have heard they don’t always ship the greatest, or don’t have variants listed correctly.

9. zachmacD

Trusted

Directly from Amazon. I agree that it would be clutch for free 2 day shipping but I've had a negative experience every time. I assume the records are sitting in a warehouse somewhere and machines are fulfilling the orders. If you look at the negative reviews of vinyl's on amazon, a lot of them have the same complaints as me

10. fbrrocks

Trusted

no wonder the cd i wanted to preorder cuz its an amazon uk signed one said Currently unavailable. ather upcoming cds on amazon uk say it too, but amazon in usa doesn't say it

11. thecobrakais

Regular

i always support local when i can, but sometimes, amazon wins. lower prices and better availability. i'm sorry you've had such a poor experience with them.