Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Amazon Refusing to Hand Over Data on Whether Alexa Overheard a Murder

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ars Technica:

Amazon is balking at a search warrant seeking cloud-stored data from its Alexa Voice Service. Arkansas authorities want to examine the recorded voice and transcription data as part of a murder investigation. Among other things, the Seattle company claims that the recorded data from an Amazon Echo near a murder scene is protected by the First Amendment, as are the responses from the voice assistant itself.

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Ugh. These things always make me feel weird. In 20 years Alexa is going to be on trial for murder.

Brent and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  3. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I honestly don't know what the right thing to do in these situations is. I lean toward keeping the data private because of the slippery slope that giving it out opens up. Companies like Amazon and Apple shouldn't be in a role where they decide who gets what information from people's personal devices.

I think in the span of three sentences I just made up my mind on this topic. Lol.

Raku, yeahrightdude and ReiAndCoke like this.
  4. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

God the thought of an inanimate object standing by and recording something like that... it's just chilling.

CMilliken likes this.
  5. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

This was pretty much my exact thought process when I read this article.

Raku and omgrawr like this.
  6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

absolutely the right thing not to provide it, this is barely one step from big brother

Raku likes this.