Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Amazon Go: Retail Stores With No Checkouts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Amazon:

Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no checkout required. We created the world’s most advanced shopping technology so you never have to wait in line. With our Just Walk Out Shopping experience, simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take the products you want, and go! No lines, no checkout. (No, seriously.)

Uhm, wow.

2. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

There goes my job. Thanks innovation.

coleslawed and Turkeylegz like this.
  3. The future is scary.

4. CMilliken

Trusted

Scary but really cool.

5. thecobrakais

Regular

rise of the machines.

6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

really curious, and a bit worried, for how this turns out.

7. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

BUT HOW DO THE BULLETS IN WESTWORLD WORK?!?

8. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

[​IMG]

9. Turkeylegz

Trusted

All those rotten kids will sneak stuff into their parents cart...
    But really, as curious as I am about how this works, i hate that this will once again be another inovation to hurt jobs.

Raku, coleslawed and Fucking Dustin like this.
  10. FFTSjason

can't wait to check this out when i move back to Seattle.

11. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

they implemented this in ALL seattle stores! just walk in and walk out with your stuff! tell them arry sent ya

12. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

just kidding, don't do that. i won't bail you out.

13. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

How does it work if someone steals somebody else's phone with the Amazon app already signed in? They could just walk in, take stuff and walk out, then the other person would get the bill on their phone. Right? I'm sure there are safeguards in place and I'm sure there are cameras all over the store, just wondering, is all.

Either way, this is really cool. I'm glad there's not one around here though, it would be hard for me to not walk out with all the stuff I want but don't need!

14. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

The impact of automation on the economy is frightening. So many of these innovations offer no benefits except to lower corporate operating costs, and I don't anticipate we'll see the benefits in the cost of living either. So once you add up the job losses from freight delivery, service sector roles, warehousing and distribution, manufacturing, etc., you've got huge potential for skyrocketing unemployment and bigger impacts on the economy.

Raku, coleslawed and slimfenix182 like this.
  15. Before everyone gets all Luddite on this, of course innovation reduces costs to business by cutting labour - that's the only reason they invest in it. Amazon isn't just doing this for kicks. Profit drives (mostly) everything. Also, reduced costs make businesses more competitive so I bet we'll see lower costs at stores. I also bet new jobs will open up (they always do), and the government is already holding meetings on what to do about AI-induced unemployment. I'm crossing my fingers for universal basic income, considering it's less partisan than welfare. Self-driving cars are on the way too so they better get a move on.

Arry and emeryk3 like this.
  16. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

I get there's legitimate concerns (ie potential rise in unemployement) but c'mon, chill with the negativity. This stuff has been precedented for years. It's still generally good for businesses and customers at least. There's also plenty of new job sectors opening up with the rise of technology.

BigMouth likes this.
  17. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I, for one, will happily embrace the arrival of our robot overlords.

18. I'm willing to bet customers that don't have to wait in a line see a benefit as well.

19. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

They still need people in there to stock the store, salespeople to answer questions, etc.
    The only jobs lost here are people at the actual checkout, which in a store that size is probably only one or two people, who are most likely the same people doing the other tasks.

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. bristphili

I believe, in the not overly distant future, Wall-E predicted the way shit is going.

[​IMG]

austingordon and Turkeylegz like this.
  21. austingordon

your local curmudgeon

I'm kind of split on how I feel about this. So damn easy and convenient, however, I do agree that it is setting a precedent for the future workforce of the world. In many ways, we've gotten so much lazier - and that isn't always a bad thing, as long as we're being productive members of society in other ways.

22. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Sorry, I meant that post more broadly than just to these stores, which you're right, certainly can improve shopper convenience, and I'm definitely not opposed to innovation in the retail experience.
    Bigger picture though, automation has the potential to eliminate millions of jobs, and I don't think we're prepared for what that could mean, and sometimes I fear the benefits of large-scale automation will not possibly outweigh the societal costs.