Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Amazon Announces Vinyl Subscription Service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Rolling Stone:

Amazon says that it’s selecting albums from the “golden era of vinyl,” which it defines as the 1960s and 1970s. Its music team singles out Pink Floyd, Aretha Franklin, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Miles Davis and Abba as examples of artists that fit their criteria. One Amazon user noted that the first two albums released to subscribers werePink Floyd’s The Wall and London Calling by The Clash.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. mit_backwards

Regular

This is the absolute worst. No further insight on my behalf...it's just the worst.

3. seanxwilliams

Scar crossed lovers, forever

So they're just going to send people copies of records that a vast majority of listeners are likely to already own? They'll be sending out Fleetwood Mac's Rumours next

falafelmywaffle and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  4. mrenkens007

Surprise, Surprise Prestigious

"If the first two albums are anything to go on, subscribing to Amazon’s Vinyl Of The Month Club is actually a good investment. A copy of The Wall currently goes for $47, and London Calling fetches $32.56. It’s important to note that Amazon doesn’t say which pressing of these albums go out to subscribers."

Something tells me the "golden era" of it just means the ones chosen have been repressed to high heaven over the past 10 years, and this is just a way to clear the warehouse. But these price differences are nuts.

CMilliken and thechetearly like this.
  5. thechetearly

Regular

Love a rebrand of warehouse clearance lol

6. Eml182

Regular

They can inflate the prices of the records they include in the box to make the box look like a great deal right?

7. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

I wonder if they'll ship them in plastic bags like each copy of Jimmy Eat World's Chase This Light that I ordered and returned three times before giving up?

Dying_ambiance and smowashere like this.
  8. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve had decent luck lately with Amazon vinyls, but yeah, I used to get so many that would show up destroyed.

9. theredline

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

Yourbiggestflan likes this.
  10. Dying_ambiance

Newbie Supporter

I've seen cases where they just stick the shipping label on the shrink wrap.

11. Eml182

Regular

That album sounds GREAT on vinyl - like a true difference from the polished CD version, but wow the off-center pressing is a joke and this just accentuates that.