Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Amazon Announces “Amazon Key” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Got this email this morning and had to laugh. No way I'm letting random people into my residence, and I'm not even sure if you'd be allowed to set this up legally if you are renting. UPS and FedEx use local businesses as pick up locations, hell, Amazon has their own lockers. Who really asked for this?

2. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

this will also likely end as soon as a random UPS guy or gal is mauled by a dog that doesn't recognize them upon entry.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  3. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

There are sooooo many steps I’d take to receive an item before “allowing a stranger access to my home” became a viable solution.

molassescookies, Essie and Jason Tate like this.
  4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

there's no way my apartment community would go for this. I have my own private entry but hello lawsuit if the delivery guy or gal trips down the stairs.

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i am flabbergasted by this.

7. heymattrick

Sending my love

I live off Yale & I-25, Mom lives closer to Greenwood Village area

8. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

This is a relatively common service already provided by home security and smart home systems, where you can receive video when people knock on your door, or you can provide access codes for people to enter your home. Not to say I'm interested in those services myself, and why not go full-blown home security system rather than paying for the "luxury" to provide Amazon access to your home.

9. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Oh okay, yeah that area is an interesting mix of wealthy and lots of homeless people. I used to live off I25 & Belleview in an apartment complex and surprisingly cars were broken into all the time and so were the mailboxes. Denver is definitely getting shittier

10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

if I lived in an area that I thought was (or knew to be) prone to thievery, I would have changed up my process for getting deliveries long before this was even thought of.

the more I think about this the more useless it really seems to consumers.

man.

ok i'm done off to listen to science fiction again

11. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

What could go wrong, but honestly for some people who get stuff delivered every day (my next door neighbor legit gets a prime package every day) maybe this will catch on to a small degree.

12. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

they're doing this because Wal-Mart is offering this now as well in some cities.

not that i would trust ANY stranger into my house to drop off packages, but i DEFINITELY wouldn't just some fucking awl-mart employee to have one-time access to my house. and that's what the wal-mart one is - not UPS, but some random worker who lives nearby who will drive to your house and put your groceries away.

FUCK NO TO ALL OF THIS.

13. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I can't wait for the addons like Amazon Hump Your Wife and Amazon Steal Your Money.

14. chcougar1

Trusted

That would be nearly impossible to customize timing wise. Most people are going to want their packages delivered after 6pm.

15. theredline

Trusted Supporter

No thanks.

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Nearly spit out my drink there well done

Bryan Diem and FTank like this.
  17. heymattrick

Sending my love

Ehhh, disagree with that wholeheartedly but to each their own. Shitty people exist everywhere you go, it’s just how you much you notice it. I wish UPS/FedEx could just deliver to mailboxes or some sort of secure locker... this might be a step in the right direction but something without having to compromise the security of my home.

18. ejsz

In two years, all of you naysayers will be getting a package per week People had the same hesitations about Uber/Lyft ("you just get in some random person's car???") and look at us now. This is inevitable.

19. Nope. Not letting people in my house while I’m away.

20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the comparison to uber isnt that great because whats the alternative to uber? getting into another type of car or car service with a complete stranger.

the alternative to giving a stranger complete access to your home when youre not there, is NOT giving a stranger complete access to your home when youre not there and still (most likely) getting your package when you get home.

21. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'm unreasonably proud of this tweet.

22. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

its crazy that a solution to maybe not getting your package stolen is letting a stranger into your home unattended lol

23. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Frankly, Uber still kind of freaks me out.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  24. heymattrick

Sending my love

I take 3-4 trips a month on average for work, and generally take Uber both ways to and from the airport here in Denver, but have also used Uber in LA, Chicago, Milwaukee, Florida... At the beginning of this year they even sent me an email telling me how many hours I had spent in an Uber the previous year (close to 28 hours or something like that). I’ve had some drivers with a few marbles loose but haven’t ever thought twice about it safety wise.

Sean Murphy likes this.
  25. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

They should do more of those Amazon lockers in more locations to avoid having to resort to this.

suicidesaints likes this.