Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Amazon Announces “Amazon Key”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Amazon has announced “Amazon Key,” a new service that lets you get packages delivered inside your home. From the press release:

This state-of-the-art technology doesn’t simply replace a key with a digital passcode. Each time a delivery driver requests access to a customer’s home, Amazon verifies that the correct driver is at the right address, at the intended time, through an encrypted authentication process. Once this process is successfully completed, Amazon Cloud Cam starts recording and the door is then unlocked. No access codes or keys are ever provided to delivery drivers. And, for added peace of mind, in-home delivery is backed by Amazon’s Happiness Guarantee.

Uh, fuck no.

2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I don't even give my relatives keys to my house. I'm sure as hell not giving Amazon and their Could Cam access to my house. I wonder if this will go the same way as their "drone delivery"?

3. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Fuck no, indeed.

4. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

this is an over reach. I don't even see the big need for this.

5. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Who exactly is asking for this?

6. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

It's insane that Amazon thought this was a good idea, and whoever actually uses it is insane, as well.

7. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

I am by no means the "oh no, big brother is watching" type of person, but holy shit this is absolute insanity.

8. Yeah....I'd rather my packages be stolen then allow strangers in my home unsupervised.

9. heymattrick

Sending my love

Package delivery theft is an insane issue around here, I hear about it on the news all the time. I get Amazon packages delivered probably once a week if not more, and I actually have them delivered to my mom’s house instead of where I live since I trust her neighborhood more than mine. Interesting solution, don’t even understand how it would work and don’t know how I feel about it. Certainly not a “fuck no” but don’t think I’ll be signing up anytime soon.

oldboot and youwontknow like this.
  10. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

No way.

11. ibanez966

The best part is you have to pay $250 for their "Key Kit" to even start using the service

12. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Anyone who signs up for this deserves to be burgled into oblivion.

13. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Maybe i'd do this, if I had another locked door like 4 feet after my front door. He could just leave it in a little hallway type thing.

14. jorbjorb

7 rings

lol wow.

15. Dog Fish

Mutt

@Jason Tate not even with the Amazon Happiness Guarantee?

16. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

I see you're in Denver, what part?

17. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I haven't seen a single person think this was a good idea. Not exactly sure what they were thinking here.

18. CMilliken

Trusted

Nope!

19. DoctorM

Regular Supporter

I can think of a situation where this could actually be a good idea. My sister lives in a condo on the second floor above several businesses. There is a locked door that leads to the steps up to 4 condos. Each condo has its own deadbolted door. She can never get packages delivered because they would be on a busy sidewalk. If the delivery guy could get through the first door and leave it, it would be a better option for the people in the condos than leaving on the sidewalk.

ejsz and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  20. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Can we just take all the money spent/that will be spent on developing this idea and use it to make more things prime eligible

21. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Or better yet use it all to make the Amazon Prime video items not require additional purchase on top of the damn subscription

suicidesaints and jco3 like this.
  22. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

HAHA...burgled.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

This seems like a really silly (and apparently needlessly complicated) solution to a real problem that exists.

Seems like this could be solved by allowing people to select a preferred delivery window or something along those lines to ensure they are home to receive the package. That can’t be any more difficult than this?

24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I'm wondering, at what point does amazon cut out the middleman and create their own delivery service, which could allow a fully customized delivery process. I'm not saying an amazon driver is any different than a UPS driver in terms of letting a stranger into your home, but if they controlled the means of delivery, you could perhaps request a specific timeframe or day, etc. so ensure you are there to receive the package.

THIS application however, is moronic.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  25. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Maybe they could put intense shock collars on every driver that also have GPS and if they go even remotely off course in the home they get a borderline death shock.