Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Amazon Announces ‘Lord of the Rings’ TV Series

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Amazon has announced they’ll be producing a new Lord of the Rings TV series. The Hollywood Reporter has more:

The retail giant and streaming outlet announced Monday that it has acquired global television rights to the Lord of the Rings franchise, based on the best-selling novels by J.R.R. Tolkien. Amazon has handed out a multiple-season commitment. The Amazon LOTR series will be produced in-house at Amazon Studios alongside the Tolkien Estate and Trust, publisher HarperCollins and Warner Bros. Entertainment’s New Line Cinema.

2. noKings

Regular

Uhhh

3. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I hope this will be good, but mostly I feel this story is best told by the books.

4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

The LOTR trilogy were my favorite films when I was in middle school, and I still really dig 'em, but I hated the Hobbit films. Hopefully this ends up being good.

The roughest thing about Middle Earth in retrospect is that it's basically 99% a story of white dudes doing white dude things. Are there any POC in the films besides nameless villains? Granted, I feel like that's a common issue with this type of fantasy, but still, it'd be cool if this adaptation tried to fit that. I unfortunately don't remotely expect that to happen, though.

beachdude42 and CMilliken like this.
  5. NitrateDawn

Regular

Do we know if this is just a straight up adaptation of the books? I'd love for it to be some other story set in Middle-Earth that can fit alongside Jackson's films.

6. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Didn't even read the article. I'm in.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  7. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

So you want your own mega Game of Thrones fantasy series and you're gonna adapt something that already has a perfect adaptation? There's so much good unadapted material out there. What a dumb, transparent, money-grubbing decision.

8. dlemert

Trusted

My thoughts on this are the same as my thoughts on the upcoming live-action Lion King adaptation: If there already exists the definitive version of something, why bother doing it again?

9. dlemert

Trusted

Didn't see this before I made my own post but I completely agree.

10. Psst..
    Amazon's LOTR series will be set in Middle-earth and explore new storylines preceding Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring.

11. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Ok, that's a little better, I didn't see that. It's still latching onto a safe, known franchise, another drop into the bucket to further saturate the media landscape with things people already know. Game of Thrones, while based on a pre-existing book franchise, was basically unknown to people outside of the fantasy sphere.

12. Studios make and release stuff they think lots of people want to watch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

coleslawed likes this.
  13. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

^ You're not wrong. I just wish people didn't want to watch the same things over and over again.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  14. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I’m such a hypocrite when it comes to this kind of thing, because, overall, I am incredibly annoyed by reboot/remake/sequel culture.

But then I get super excited for things like Star Wars and...well this. Haha

Also, Blade Runner 2049 is my favorite movie of the year so far. Just though I’d throw that in there.

beachdude42 and FreshnessExpired like this.
  15. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

given the Hobbit movies are some of the most bloated and unnecessary films i know, not reaaaaaaaaally confident this will be good at all

zachmacD likes this.
  16. AllenRicketts

Regular

There's ways to put non-white actors in this show but if being a hero and saving the day and falling in love is "white dude things" I don't think you'd be very happy with it anyway.

TJ Wells likes this.
  17. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I'm actually excited for this now that I know it's not a remake of the first three films. Having the setting be before Fellowship gives me slight hope that they could borrow stuff from the Silmarillion. I'm probably going to be disappointed when it's not, but I can dream. I also would be down for a TV universe that exists in the same universe at Jackson's films but gives us new characters and stories instead of focusing only on Tolkien's books.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. zachmacD

Trusted

I adored LOTR growing up and have watched the extended versions of all three movies but those Hobbit movies were awful. I think it's worth the risk though because if this turns out to be good, it'll be awesome to watch