Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

All Time Low Respond to Allegations

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Analog Drummer

Regular

Of the members accused he always gave off an odd vibe, was always a little suss

Pepetito likes this.
  3. WasteSomeTime

Regular

They seem like an easy target to cancel culture with the way they’ve always been and talked on stage. Not saying this did or didn’t happen but a very easy target for cancel culture

4. Throw the whole damn band away.

5. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

The victim's story was heartbreaking to read, I truly hope that they are okay. Honestly, fuck the band for dismissing this accusation (along with the many, many others) and for enabling Jack's behavior for so long. That was a terrible way to respond.

6. BradBradley

Regular

“With the way they’ve always been.” I saw a few people in the tweet replies mentioning that there are like 70-something accusations that have been made against the band. So, I think you’re probably on to something - this probably IS the way they’ve always been.

Carrow and artbynickferran like this.
  7. adelphi_rocks

Newbie Supporter

Do y'all not see the parallel between believing these unsourced accusations against musicians from anonymous people online and the same folks who eat up all the ivermectin they can bc the My Pillow guy heard something about it from a doctor friend?

You're doing the same thoughtless nonsense that we make fun of the antivax crowd for, which is blindly following online rumors without empirical evidence to substantiate your beliefs.

I'm not even a fan of ATL but I do remember when a bunch of naive kids online almost ruined Conor Oberst's life bc of the same kind of anonymous gossip.

Have some decency, people, and think about what you're reading. Reflect on the facts available, then form an opinion before amplifying these serious accusations.

8. BradBradley

Regular

All 70 of them.

Zilla, slowheart, Indigo and 7 others like this.
  9. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

The "available facts" say an overwhelming percentage of accusations made are indeed true. The Conor Oberst case was an outlier.

10. jeff.dart

Regular

This one hits close to home because, god damn I am sick of talking to patients about all the crazy shit they think they know about Covid. But this really isn’t completely the same. That myPillow guy knew he’d have plenty of people he could exploit for gain, and he certainly has. Most victims really just have a lot to lose when they come forward about their assault. Not to say it’s always the case, but I don’t think we should be approaching the two scenarios the same way. In this case it seems like there are a lot of accounts coming forward now.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  11. I'll let you ponder on this bit from Conor himself, especially the bolded part.

12. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

is the tour still going ahead? i can't imagine them just rocking up on stage tomorrow after all of this

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  13. WasteSomeTime

Regular

why is it a terrible way to respond if indeed it’s false?

14. WasteSomeTime

Regular

You do realize no pun intended people on the internet lie and can easily say “me too” especially when they are young. There aren’t 70 people with stories just people saying yeah me too! Again not saying it didn’t happened but if it’s false people have a right to defend themselves. Generally speaking if your going to take legal action against the person you do believe you have some ground that this is a lie.

15. thechetearly

Regular

Genuinely never understood the appeal of this band. That being said, full grown men making songs as if they are a high school pop punk band…does not entirely surprise me when they turn out to be scum bags.

16. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Why do all the monsters come out at night?

17. Mitch Howell

How is this a poor response, in the instance the allegations are false?

Scooter2011 and zachmacD like this.
  18. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

scumbag cowards

19. WasteSomeTime

Regular

It’s not unless you have already decided he’s guilty or just don’t like the band

20. WasteSomeTime

Regular

If he’s not guilty what makes them cowards? This is the kind of stuff that needs to stop. Ending peoples life and careers before someone is proven to be guilty.

Mitch Howell likes this.
  21. somethingliketj

And that's why you always leave a note.

Setting aside the "in the instance..." part for a moment... what always gets me about these token responses is the blanket "this is all false" statement. What specifically is false? The stories this victim is telling didn't happen at all? She's completely pulling them out of thin air with incredible detail? Or is it the way she interprets/feels about the situations is false? Which makes no sense because a feeling can't be "untrue". Is he saying he's never met her? What about everyone else who's chiming in, has he never met them either? How do two of the members know anything about whether these stories are true/false anyways?

It's just purposely vague in the hopes of keeping their fans on their side so their career doesn't go in the toilet. (Spoiler alert... it won't no matter what happens... how many people still listen to Brand New?) No matter how they frame it that "the four of us" wrote this response... I am willing to bet that's "unequivocally false". A band of that caliber absolutely had influence from a lawyer, manager, whatever... for obvious reasons.

22. somethingliketj

And that's why you always leave a note.

I think there's a difference between innocent until proven guilty and believing a victim (victims) over siding with the accused. If for no other reason than the obvious disparity in status. It's a lot easier to convince someone you're innocent when you have a lot more money, resources, platform etc. than the accuser.

Sure, I do agree with you that society has jumped the gun on a few occasions, but to imply that anyone's career is going to "end" because of this is ridiculous. Them royalties ain't stopping. Even that twat from Lostprophets was still making bank while rotting in prison. Worst case scenario, yeah maybe they don't get to perform music for a while? I mean Louis CK is back on stage performing and selling out shows again... Do you think that's "ending their lives/careers" vs. the emotional scars the victims have? Trust me, they'll be just fine. She obviously isn't.

artbynickferran likes this.
  23. WasteSomeTime

Regular

I understand this stance but with that being said it lots of times people also feel they are owed something from people, famous people, they crave attention and also don’t see a problem just saying things thinking it’s no big deal. Again I’m not saying he didn’t do wrong things just that people can make up stories, this is a twitter feed not an super in-depth detailed account.

if this was so serious and she was traumatized there are other ways to handle it through proper sources and twitter and TikTok are not those sources

As for the other band members generally you wouldn’t attach your name to this kind of coverage unless you were confident that it’s false

24. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

You mean the legal system that historically places rich white men's status over their victims or the police who sit on rape kits for decades?

25. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Famous people's lives aren't even ruined when it's proven to be true tbh. They just hide out for a while and come back. R Kelly's sales soared afterwards. I hope someday we can all acknowledge that cancel culture doesn't exist.