Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

All Things TRUMP • Page 2

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by John Zafran, Apr 29, 2016.

1. emt0853

Trusted Supporter

Yes, this. I'm not one to discuss alot of politics but at our local establishment, its all fox news all day long. The praise trump gets is ridiculous.

2. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

Is that super different from how the Republican party and a large portion of its base has operated since the civil rights movement though? Trump just doesn't sugarcoat it. I mean, it's still terrifying that anyone thinks like that, but he's not putting out a message different from any number of republican politicians over the last several decades, he's just wording it in a much more straight-forward manner. People praising him for it aren't just now attaching to this set of ideas, they voted for the other people who said the same things in a thinly veiled way, for the same exact reasons. That's why Trump is doing it.

On the other side of the same token, doing all of that without having any filter or self control about what he says is why he's so unpopular with everyone but the exact base he's aiming for.

3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Everyone has that one relative that says "If I was president none of this shit would be happening" and talks about how Obama's fucking everything up and how they could do a better job even though they know nothing about domestic/foreign policy or anything other than their own taxes and bank account. Trump is that one relative. It's scary for a large number of reasons.

4. MrRobot

What in the world is going on

5. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I can't be surprised at anything at this point

6. JessLeigh

just keep your head above; swim.

Huge supporter here. I think he is just what we need.

7. MrSwetz

***** Prestigious

You bring up a good point. I'm not one to bash the other party, and I've had to try and see Trump with an accepting eye because my partner is a supporter. I respect the fact that he has opinions and he's vocal about them. He isn't always consistent but nobody is. However, some of the things he just says are absolutely ignorant. His comment about how it's still Snowing so clearly Global Warming doesn't exist. How women should be PUNISHED for abortion. And the damn wall comment...if he stopped pulling these one-liners out of his ass, I'd almost think he's alright.

I'm all for a self-funded anti-establishment candidate, but I also think that change from within the system is going to be more effective than bringing a tyrant in.

8. devenstonow

Noobie

His one-liners are effective now, but if he keeps them up during the general, Hillary will destroy him even more than she already will.

9. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I don't like Trump at all but people do realize he is pretty liberal especially for a Republican candidate. He's just become the perfect politician in that he basically says whatever he needs to drum up support from the audience he is speaking to.

Before I heard him speak I was interested in a Trump candidacy mostly from the fact that I think to many people in office right now fight the lawyer/career politician mold and is nothing representative of what America is. He would be more business minded but it's become apparently obvious that he will say or do anything to get elected. But that sounds like someone on the other side to.

10. clucky

Trusted Supporter

The idea of Trump being "self-funded" being a good thing is one of the most aggravating arguments his supporters make.

The amount of money in politics is a big issue. But simply having someone rich enough they don't need the support of PAC doesn't actually solve anything. The rich are still in charge. Making it so that you have to have millions of dollars of disposable income to run for office without people assuming you're in someone else's pocket is a step back not a step forward.

11. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Isn't that the draw to Bernie though? He is not beholden to anyone because it's just individuals donating to him not Super PACs.

beachdude42 and popdisaster00 like this.
  12. devenstonow

Noobie

the point of that argument in support of trump is that yeah, he's rich, but he's being funded by himself, not 'being bought'.

And I don't want this to start a debate about money in politics; I'm sure I disagree with the majority here on the importance of it as an issue and don't want to get burned at the cross for it.

13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, but he's not filthy rich to begin with.

14. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Right. But the difference between Sanders and Trump is that Sanders is getting his money from the American people and Trump is getting his money from himself. So while Sanders is an example of how campaign finance should work, Trump is not.

beachdude42 and FTank like this.
  15. MrRobot

I think the difference is, while both of them are "outside the establishment", that Bernie is speaking against corporate America ruling everything, and Trump has been the poster child for corporate America for 30 years. He's like, the face of big business. They can both be considered "outsiders" for whatever that term is worth, but they're coming from completely opposite directions.

beachdude42, FTank and clucky like this.
  16. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Exactly. Trump is simply the establishment with the curtain pulled back and the smoke dispersed.

17. MrRobot

That's why it was so funny in like the first republican debate where he said that he can't be bought and was above the rest of them, but then someone else onstage said something and he said something to the effect of "I've donated to you/spent a lot of money toward your causes" or something like that. And it's like, dude, you're preaching that Washington is all paid off, but in the very next breath admit you're part of the demographic buying Washington.

18. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Bernie is not outside the establishment. He has been sitting in congress forever collecting a paycheck. That's his record.

19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

That doesn't make one establishment... look at his actual stances and voting record.

20. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like I'm inadvertently defending Trump and that's not what I'm trying to do but what is wrong with being rich?

21. devenstonow

Noobie

If you hate big business and capitalism. Which, if you view it as a positive thing, Trump looks good from that perspective

22. MrRobot

I think it's less being wealthy by definition, and simply having a lot of money, and more being part of an elite class who is incredibly out of touch with normal people. There are plenty of rich people who do good in the world and help others, but it's hard to preach to the common people with any sincerity when you own like 300 hotels and have mansions that have gold plated walls.

23. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Except for everything else that's horrendous about him. There's kind of a lot of that.

beachdude42 likes this.
  24. devenstonow

Noobie

I never said the contrary to that.

25. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I think his point may be that capitalism isn't a bad thing. You act like he is the end all be all of it. Trump has essentially been a celebrity since the late 80s and I think he's more of a face of all his business dealings than a businessman at this point. Probably why he is in such lala land.