Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

All Get Out Announce Album Title

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

All Get Out will be releasing Nobody Likes a Quitter this fall. The album was co-written and produced by Manchester Orchestra’s Andy Hull and Robert McDowell.

[​IMG]

“Where I’ve been is irrelevant,” Nathan Hussey sings on “Room To Talk,” the first song from All Get Out’s second-full length album, Nobody Likes A Quitter – and he’s got a point: It’s been a long five years since his Texas-by-the-way-of-South-Carolina indie-rock band released their now-cult classic The Season in 2011, but the details of how Hussey got from then to now are less important than the fact that Nobody Likes A Quitter even exists. (For those keeping score, it involved stints working on a farm and in a coffee shop—”nothing very fulfilling.”)
    “I eventually realized I had nothing else but music,” he says.

Produced by and co-written with Manchester Orchestra’s Andy Hull and Robert McDowell over the course of a year, Nobody Likes A Quitter (released through Manchester Orchestra’s Favorite Gentlemen label along with Bad Timing Records) is a more nuanced and restrained affair than the palpable aggression of The Season and 2015’s Movement EP—but it’s no less vulnerable or emotionally exhausting. That visceral angst has been replaced with introspection, as Hussey has learned to channel the passion that permeated his last two releases and articulate it more eloquently.

“I couldn’t write like a 21-year-old,” he says. “When I started writing this record, I was 29. I had to accept a few things: I had to accept what the record was sonically. This is where I am. I sound a little softer: I don’t have angst; I have worry. I’m not angry at other people; I’m concerned with myself. Andy really held me accountable to the meaning of the songs. We’d go over lyrics and he’d ask me, ‘What are you trying to say? This is what it sounds like to me.’”

That soul-searching takes many forms over the album’s 10 songs, whether Hussey is reaching into his past to address personal relationships—many of which take the shape of former All Get Out band members (“Get My Cut”)—or trying to wrap his head around universal themes like ego, guilt, doubt and self-fulfillment (“Home”). At its core, Nobody Likes A Quitter is about coming to terms with yourself and who you are, about realizing that even though you might not measure up to your idealized self, your faults and flaws are ultimately what make you human.

“I’m finally becoming aware of who I am,” he says. “There’s a sense of disappointment that comes when you figure out who you are in a way. You find out what you’re made of. It’s like the first time your fight-or-flight reflex is tested, and it turns out you’re a flight. Instead of going, ‘Oh no, I’m a flight,’ it’s ‘Hey, I’m a flight. It’s who I am.’ It’s also learning that ‘I don’t know’ is sometimes a completely reasonable answer.”

What Hussey does know is he never wants to wait half a decade between releases ever again. Now experiencing a period of prolific creativity unlike ever before, his attention is squarely turned toward the future of All Get Out. It took him a while to revisit the project, but sometimes you have to detour through life before returning to things that are truly important.

“You give up a lot to do this: plans and time and commitments,” he says. “There’s definitely a sacrifice you make, especially as you get older and watch other people’s lives happen—but I know it’s good. I know the records we have are good. I know people like the band. It’s something with integrity to it, so I know it’s not worth letting go.”

2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

YESSSSSSS!

Love this band and I loved their Movement EP. I am assuming they are still on Favorite Gentleman then?

Christian Romero likes this.
  3. THE DAY HAS COME

4. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Beyond excited. So happy for their success. Saw them play at a coffeehouse in front of about 10 people back in 2008, and they were great guys and played their asses off despite the size of the crowd

5. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I've been waiting for this for so long. So excited.

6. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

ready for this.

7. This will be a co-release between Favorite Gentlemen and Bad Timing

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  8. timcsheehan

Regular

Andy and Robert have had a busy 2016

9. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

instantly my most anticipated for the remainder of the year. so excited.

10. Adam Juwig

the hype is real

11. CMilliken

Trusted

So excited for this one!

12. Saephon

Regular

I always thought of them as a more silly/poppy Manchester. So incredibly stoked that Andy has a big hand in the new record. Hype levels off the charts.

13. KingofSpain

you can be your own dad Prestigious

I need this now.

14. Cowrites? Omg John Feldman is the wors....

Jose, KidLightning, fenway89 and 3 others like this.
  15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

nothing silly about these guys

16. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

I was like falllllllll? But then I remembered it's almost fall!!!

17. noKings

Regular

Should be fun

18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Legitimately curious how this band ever came off as silly or poppy to you..?

coleslawed, fenway89 and CMilliken like this.
  19. AshlandATeam

Trusted

The Season remains one of my three or four favorite albums of the entire 2000s.

Manchester Orchestra is a desert island/Mount Rushmore band for me.

My favorite show of all time is a toss up between seeing the Season in its entirety in a tiny little bar with 30 people and both times I saw ManOrch play 90 minutes absolutely flawlessly.

I truly cannot put into words the excitement level I have for an All Get Out sophomore record. Co-written by Andy Motherfucking Hull!? I don't even have sounds.

20. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

I know I'm not the first person to quote you, but there isn't a damn thing silly about AGO. If anything they are heavier than Manchester. Songs like "Burn Hot the Records", "Girl, Gun", and "The Season" absolutely slay. Not to mention what an amazing songwriter Nate is in his own right. I totally understand the MO comparisons that they will probably never be able to escape, but AGO will always be first in my heart.

21. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

Yeah seeing both of these bands was huge for me. Can't wait for this.

22. MikeC18

Maybe you're thinking of the band Microwave? They would fit that description more than All Get Out.

CMilliken likes this.
  23. SweetThye

@sweetthye

There's no way this will be bad.

24. Hagysaurus

This band popped into my head the other day for the first time in a long, long time. I was wondering what happened to them. I'm hoping the new material is excellent.

25. CMilliken

Trusted

Yeah, I don't understand this either.