Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

All Get Out – “Home”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

All Get Out have released their new song “Home.” The album will be out October 28th.

“Where I’ve been is irrelevant,” Nathan Hussey sings on “Room To Talk,” the first song from ALL GET OUT’s second-full length album, NOBODY LIKES A QUITTER—and he’s got a point: It’s been a long five years since his Texas-by-the-way-of-South-Carolina indie-rock band released their now-cult classic THE SEASON in 2011, but the details of how Hussey got from then to now are less important than the fact that Nobody Likes A Quitter even exists. (For those keeping score, it involved stints working on a farm and in a coffee shop—”nothing very fulfilling.”)
    “I eventually realized I had nothing else but music,” he says.

Produced by and co-written with Manchester Orchestra’s Andy Hull and Robert McDowell, Nobody Likes A Quitter (released through Manchester Orchestra’s Favorite Gentlemen label along with Bad Timing Records) was written and recorded over the course of a year and, as such, as is a highly collaborative yet entirely cohesive effort from the three longtime friends. Hussey traveled to Atlanta every few months to work on the album with Hull and McDowell at their studio, then he’d return home to Texas to tweak and ruminate on the material they’d created together. This process allowed the trio to marry intense bursts of creativity with periods of thoughtfulness and care.

“Those guys have so many ideas, and there’s a level of trust involved,” Hussey says. “Robert’s musical knowledge is insane, and he’s willing to sit down and figure anything out. He always does shit right. Andy will definitely tell you if something is bad, and that really became the spirit of things while we made the record. I learned to be that kind of person from him—not only in life in general, because he’s a close friend, but also in the music world. He really lit the fire under me to have an opinion.”

Compared to the palpable aggression of The Season and 2015’s MOVEMENT EP, Nobody Likes A Quitter is a more nuanced and restrained affair—but it’s no less vulnerable or emotionally exhausting. That visceral angst has been replaced with introspection, as Hussey has learned to channel the passion that permeated his last two releases and articulate it more eloquently.

“I couldn’t write like a 21-year-old,” he says. “When I started writing this record, I was 29. I had to accept a few things: I had to accept what the record was sonically. This is where I am. I sound a little softer: I don’t have angst; I have worry. I’m not angry at other people; I’m concerned with myself. Andy really held me accountable to the meaning of the songs. We’d go over lyrics and he’d ask me, ‘What are you trying to say? This is what it sounds like to me.’ We would dig through the lyrics together, and I’d figure out what I was really trying to say. Andy is really into the details. He knows their song titles and track order before they even go in the studio. With me, I tend to go in and say, ‘Let’s let it happen!’ But when you’re someone who’s waited five years between records, maybe it’s time to try the opposite.”

Hussey’s soul-searching takes many forms over the album’s 10 songs, whether he’s reaching into his past to address personal relationships—many of which take the shape of former All Get Out band members (“Get My Cut”)—or trying to wrap his head around universal themes like ego, guilt, doubt and self-fulfillment (“Home”). At its core, Nobody Likes A Quitter is about coming to terms with yourself and who you are, about realizing that even though you might not measure up to your idealized self, your faults and flaws are ultimately what make you human.

“I’m finally becoming aware of who I am,” he says. “There’s a sense of disappointment that comes when you figure out who you are in a way. You find out what you’re made of. It’s like the first time your fight-or-flight reflex is tested, and it turns out you’re a flight. Instead of going, ‘Oh no, I’m a flight,’ it’s ‘Hey, I’m a flight. It’s who I am.’ It’s also learning that ‘I don’t know’ is sometimes a completely reasonable answer.”

What Hussey does know is he never wants to wait half a decade between releases ever again. Now experiencing a period of prolific creativity unlike ever before, his attention is squarely turned toward the future of All Get Out. It took him a while to revisit the project, but sometimes you have to detour through life before returning to things that are truly important.

“You give up a lot to do this: plans and time and commitments,” he says. “There’s definitely a sacrifice you make, especially as you get older and watch other people’s lives happen—but I know it’s good. I know the records we have are good. I know people like the band. It’s something with integrity to it, so I know it’s not worth letting go.” XX

2. SayHello

Regular

Seems like this song was picked to introduce lots of new people to the band. It's a song that basically summarizes their entire discography in three minutes. Don't get me wrong though, it's a good song and I like the production.

Aaron Mook and mattylikesfilms like this.
  3. Really like it, but it seems like a 2:44 song that could've easily been reduced to 2:00 or less.

4. I'm so stoked that he is committing to this band fully now, they deserve so much more.

5. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I don't want to overstate it, but this song might be the height of human achievement and the greatest thing anyone's ever created.

I really like the song, is what I'm trying to say.

6. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

i would never complain about an extra 44 seconds of a new song from a band whose last full length was in 2011.

Cody, Bartek T., Aaron Mook and 4 others like this.
  7. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Great stuff

8. Fair. I was more so making the point that the final chorus + guitar riff seemed so copy-and-paste that I was having deja vu. At that point, I'd rather just listen to the entire song again than unnecessarily repeat an already repetitive chorus. Don't worry, I do get what you're saying. I've loved this band since seeing them live a few years back and shouldn't be complaining about the "quantity" of new music.

9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Love the song! I was a little worried when Hussey was talking about this album being softer than Movement but this sounds great. Awesome production too. I'll have to pre-order this bad boy when it goes up.

10. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

I like this a lot. The energy is palpable. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album!

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  11. CMilliken

Trusted

Great song. Excited for another awesome album.

12. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

Now this is funny.

mercury, Luroda, Jason Tate and 5 others like this.
  13. I haven't gone back to Movement a ton, but this is very catchy and very good. Excited for this release! The first album review I ever wrote was for The Season on AP, haha.

Also cool that this means Andy and Robert will likely be focusing on new Manchester material very soon B-)

teebs41 likes this.
  14. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I love that the song is getting good reception here. Wasn't as much in the all get out threads!

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. Saephon

Regular

I've actually gone back to Movement recently, after only really giving it one listen upon its release. That EP is hitting me in the right ways right now that it didn't back then. It's really grown on me.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

You should give it another listen. Movement is fantastic!

17. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

Movement is their best stuff by far (to date).

18. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I'm not gonna lie - the Season is my most listened to album since it came out in 2011, and I think I may like Movement better. It's definitely less emotionally hard-hitting (I don't cry at any point like I do when Let Me Go and Come and Gone hit me on the right day), but it's essentially flawless. I just wish it was longer - 18 minutes is just way, way too short.

Their self-titled EP is also definitely worth a visit. Water and God, Coach Connor, and Three More I Guess are all mainstays in my All Get Out playlists. Super good songs from a super good EP.

19. LOVE love love the self-titled EP.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  20. AshlandATeam

Trusted

So, fun story about the self-titled EP:

After falling in love with the Season via the absolutepunk.net stream of it, I bought it and went to one of their shows. It was at a little bar with like 30 people there and they played the Season in its entirety, and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to just on its face - it's absolutely in my top 3 shows ever.

Anyway, one of the opening bands was this awkward local band who truthfully wasn't great, but they sure were trying. Well, their frontman/guitar player ended up breaking a string... and not having a replacement (or a replacement guitar). He said something to the effect of, 'well, we had three more songs, but I guess we'll just be done now.' At that moment, the guitar player for AGO ran up to the stage, went to their rack and gave the kid his guitar. It was truly one of the coolest things I've seen a national band do for a group of local kids.

Motivated by their kindness, I wanted to support them somehow. So, after their set (which, again, was one of my favorite albums start to finish and made me cry three times and was the best thing ever), I went to them and looked at their merch. The problem? I had been fairly heavily drinking and only had $10 left. Nothing was that cheap - their cheapest thing was like $15 and it was a T-shirt. So I just handed the $10 to one of the band members, and said something that I'm sure was embarrassing because I'm always super embarrassing when I talk to band members, and before I could walk away, the dude said, 'hey wait there for a minute.' He went out for like two minutes, and then came back in and said 'here, I dug this out of the van. We only have a couple left but we can't take your money without giving you something.' And lo and behold, he handed me the self-titled EP on CD. I didn't even know it had existed at that point.

It didn't leave my car radio for a solid 6 months.

Bartek T., mercury and cybele like this.
  21. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

There's a "three more, I guess," joke to make wrt that story but oh well

This band is amazing, but I don't love this song - seems a bit too straightforward. Still good, but I'm hoping the rest of the album will be better

22. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Hoping it's the piano player of this release, don't like it at first but love it later

23. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Hyped as hell, I like the song, which isn't their best, but it's fresh! and the straightforwardness doesn't get me off by far. The cover looks great, and I even liked the little write up on the album - literally can't wait!

24. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Related to the interests of the people on this thread: a 30 minute solo set with Nathan where he plays three new songs (including the new single and a song that made me cry the first time I listened to it). Totally worth the watch.

Bartek T. and mercury like this.
  25. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

Yesssss I was there, didn't know this video existed - thanks for posting! It was amazing. Reintroduced me to AGO after years of not listening to them.