Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alkaline Trio Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Posted this in the Blink thread, but here are my tinfoil hat wishes for the current Trio situation:

After the Falcon gets done with their support for their awesome new record, The Lawrence Arms should make their follow up to Metropole. While that's happening and Matt Skiba is doing Blink, Dan and Derek from the Trio should join Jay and his crew to make a new Suicide Machines record. Matt doing Blink really throws the Trio timing off, so I want to see as much good happen as possible during that downtime. No Trio for a while, but to get new Blink, the Falcon, Lawrence Arms, and Suicide Machines albums? That's a pretty nice haul haha. Ok, someone punch me in the face and bring me back to reality.

inwaves and smoke4thecaper like this.
  2. jorbjorb

7 rings

I think the production and song writing for this addiction is top notch man. Off the map is probably the best song this band has written.

3. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

Agony and Irony is my favorite album. Lol.

4. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

For me it's

Agony and Irony
    From Here To Infirmary
    Goddamnit
    Maybe I'll Catch Fire
    My Shame is True
    Good Mourning
    This Addiction
    Crimson

5. jorbjorb

7 rings

Me it's

This Addiction
    From here to infirmary
    Good Mourning

the rest is meh lol

6. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

JRGComedy likes this.
  7. razorburn

Trusted

There are some great songs on that record, specifically "Do You Want To Know?," which to me is the perfect pop-rock song.

My ranking goes:

1. From Here To Infirmary
    2. Good Mourning
    3. Goddamnit
    4. Maybe I'll Catch Fire
    5. Crimson
    6. My Shame Is True
    7. This Addiction
    8. Agony & Irony

inwaves likes this.
  8. inwaves

But...Maybe I'll Catch Fire

9. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Good Mourning
    Goddamnit
    From Here to Infirmary
    Crimson
    Maybe I'll Catch Fire
    This Addiction
    My Shame is True
    Agony & Irony

10. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

I just don't really understand the hate for A&I besides the complaints that it sounds too polished and over produced, which I can understand. But I mean, besides that, it is hands down some of the best writing they've had on an album in a decade. It's really direct and sincere. The only song I don't like on it is Lost and Rendered, but that has more to do with the way it sounds.

David87 and inwaves like this.
  11. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I honestly like nearly every song they've recorded, but A&I has "Live Young, Die Fast," which is arguably my least favorite song of theirs. "Over and Out" has lame verses, but the chorus makes up for what the rest of the song lacks.

David87 and inwaves like this.
  12. razorburn

Trusted

"Love Love, Kiss Kiss" is the one I always find myself skipping.

13. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Oddly enough, I like that song, despite the fact it's a little cheesy.

inwaves and JRGComedy like this.
  14. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I said it earlier when i did my rank, but I definitely think A&I is so vastly underrated by the fan base. I agree with the Live Young Die Fast comment, that is seriously the worst song in their discog, IMO. I actually forget that it's on A&I from time to time because I took it off my ipod a longggg time ago lol.

But even with that song on there, it's still one of their best, IMO. The only song I almost always skip is Into The Night. It's Matt's best overall album since Good Mourning, IMO, and Dan continued on his trajectory of awesomeness. I can see how people don't like "Over and Out" too, but I always had a soft spot for it because Derek did an acoustic version of it for the Blood Pact long before the album came out. I actually skip it a lot too, but that's because i played that acoustic version way too much when we got it.

I was never one to be turned off by polished production, and I appreciated the more straight forward rock sound of A&I over the strings/synth heavy Crimson.

I agree with the cheese of Love Love Kiss Kiss, but Dan always brought the cheese IMO.

15. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

It's weird to me. I was listening to so many of the bands we've talked about on here when I was as young as 12 years old. I've been reading websites like this since I was that young... yet, I didn't listen to this band until blink-182 added Skiba to their band. I don't know how I waited so long to listen to them, I've been hooked since. I have no full album to mention, I just downloaded their discog and ran with it--- but I just cannot believe it took me this long. Is there any specific album that y'all would say is a clear "above the others" to the fanbase (I haven't really read through this thread much at all), just an album that if this band were to tour on one album - which one would it likely be?

16. inwaves

bradsonemanband likes this.
  17. razorburn Apr 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 30, 2016)
    razorburn

Trusted

I second From Here To Infirmary and Good Mourning.

18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I think Good Mourning routinely gets a lot of love from Trio fans, and FHTI was where they started hitting their stride.

19. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

From Here To Infirmary
    Goddamnit
    Good Mourning
    Maybe I'll Catch Fire

The rest is all stuff I can take or leave. Need to listen to the last album more though.

20. Augustus Jordal

I like the song "Prevent This Tragedy" a lot. It seems to be kind of uncared for.

inwaves likes this.
  21. inwaves

@Augustus Jordal I like it a lot too. I have the Trio to thank for learning about the West Memphis 3, which is surprising considering it happened not far from where I grew up. Oh, and that song has such an amazing chorus.

Augustus Jordal likes this.
  22. perfectstranger

Reunion tour

It's their worst but Dead on The Floor is one of their best songs

amorningofsleep likes this.
  23. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I fucking love that song so much.

24. inwaves

Matt is contributing an acoustic version of "Continental" to a new Fat Wreck compilation called Mild in the Streets. Definitely looking forward to that.

25. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

One of my favorite Trio songs