Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alkaline Trio Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. dangerstepp

One of the best bands out there.

I got in on FHTI but couldn't get in to Good Mourning as much though I respect it as an overall package.

Then again Alkaline Trio is like pizza and making love...even when it's not that great it's still great. I celebrate their entire catalog.

2. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Does anyone else love "Burned is the House" as much as I do? Should've been on A&I. Def a few songs on there they could have swapped - and no, not referring to "Love Love, Kiss Kiss" or "Do You Wanna Know," b/c I actually think those are two strong pop-rock tracks buoyed by Dan's awesome voice. I know they aren't up to par w/ other Dan tracks, but I can't help belting them out when they come on.

Daniel1027 and inwaves like this.
  3. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Do You Wanna Know is my favorite A&I track. Dan wrote a straight up pop rock song and it was awesome. After the label pressured them to add it to the track list I was hopeful we'd FINALLY get a Dan single/video, but no luck.

Burned Is The House is fucking awesome as well, and that+In My Stomach are part of why I rank A&I so high, even though they aren't on the album. Burned Is The House was probably my favorite Trio song for a time. Though I confess I still don't quite understand what he's singing in parts of the chorus, heh.

BornToRun and smoke4thecaper like this.
  4. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Burned is the House is definitely one of my all time favorite Dan tracks. I might sit down and make a "favorite Dan songs" list here in a little while.

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  5. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

Oooh please do

6. inwaves

Noah's fave Danny songs:
    1. Burned is the House
    2. Take Lots With Alcohol
    3. Fine
    4. Smoke
    5. Crawl
    6. You've Got So Far To Go
    7. Every Thug Needs A Lady
    8. Broken Wing
    9. Kick Rocks
    10. Blue Carolina

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  7. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

If it were up to me A&I would of been a 13 song record with BITH somewhere in there and In My Stomach as the closer.

8. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Emma is not on this list lol. That's a major problem for me.

9. inwaves

@Michael Schmidt It was not an easy one to cut, I assure you. I could have easily put all of his songs from Good Mourning on there.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  10. Augustus Jordal

Blue Carolina is such a good song

11. inwaves

Take Lots was the first Dan song I ever heard, so it will always be high on the list.

12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

You've Got So Far to Go will always hold a special place in my heart.

inwaves likes this.
  13. inwaves

Also, "Smoke" is super underrated

14. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Yup. Into The Night is an okay song, but it's not a closer. In My Stomach should have closed that album out for sure. Remove Live Young, Die Fast, add in BITH and In My Stomach, and you have a ridiculously good Alk3 album.

Edit-Though they've been pretty consistent since FHTI in swapping who's song closes the album. Starting with MICF, it's been Matt-Dan-Matt-Dan-Matt-Dan-Matt

inwaves likes this.
  15. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Jesus, a top 10 Danny songs is hard. I'm excluding his solo stuff because that'd just make it impossible. I'm gonna say these are in no particular order because I'd spend way too much time putting them in order.

1. Burned Is The House
    2. In My Stomach
    3. Do You Wanna Know?
    4. Broken Wing
    5. If We Never Go Inside
    6. You've Got So Far To Go
    7. Take Lots With Alcohol
    8. Every Thug Needs A Lady
    9. Smoke
    10. I Lied My Face Off

That's really, really hard. So many songs I wanted to put on there. His lyrics are just so good. That list has definitely been different at different times. In fact, I Lied My Face Off probably isn't on there right now, but I felt like I was neglecting his old songs a lot. I just connect with his later lyrics more these days haha.

Agreed with whoever said Smoke is underrated. Kind of a bummer that the 2nd verse is just a repeat of the first, but I love the music. And the pre-chorus/chorus lyrics are so good. I loved the story he told about how Derek added in the gong at the end without Dan and Matt knowing, and the first time they listened to it they all started laughing so hard but ultimately decided to keep it.

I am of the opinion that If We Never Go Inside is his most underrated song. Those lyrics do a great job of describing growing up and all that. Love the "with the traffic lights, your mind can change" and "tonight never ends if we never go inside, the moon is always full, your calendar is always pinned on summertime". Bridge lyrics are gut wrenching too.

smoke4thecaper and inwaves like this.
  16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Triple post! I wish we had a clean version of this song:

And, so I don't quad post, I'll add this: I used to have a bootleg of what I think was Dan's performance at the Milky Christmas show. He opened up with a song that was only like 2 minutes long but I loved what lyrics I could understand, but nothing ever came of it sadly. There's a few songs he's played since he started doing more solo shows that I wish would have made one of his albums but never did. "Drive" and "September" come to mind.

17. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Alright, top 10 Dan songs, no order.

Me and Denver
    From This Oil Can
    Hurricane Season
    You've Got So Far to Go
    Take Lots With Alcohol
    Blue Carolina
    I Was a Prayer
    Do You Wanna Know?
    Fine
    I'm Only Here to Disappoint

David87 and inwaves like this.
  18. inwaves

Oh god, how did I forget "I Lied My Face Off"?

19. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah if I included Dan's solo stuff, "Hurricane Season" and "Waiting By Myself" would probably replace a couple of songs. But I'm keeping it strictly Alk3 haha

20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I never got into the second album, I suppose I should give it another try. The production seemed weird, but that really shouldn't bother me.

21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm not super into the 2nd album either, really. It was definitely a change of pace for him, trying to do some different things, but I like my solo Danny best stripped down and unplugged. A few songs I dig on there but I don't go back to them nearly as much as I do the songs on Hurricane season.

But "Waiting By Myself" is the song he did for the Revival Tour album with Dave Hause...it's soooooooo good

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Ooh, I do like me some Dave Hause as well.

23. inwaves

I still need to give Party Adjacent some more attention. I didn't dig it as much as Hurricane Season upon release.

24. inwaves

Made me happy to see Dan (and Brendan Kelly!) tweet positive remarks about the new Blink song.

Jason Tate likes this.
  25. razorburn

Trusted

Same.