Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alkaline Trio Band • Page 191

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I remember an interview or something with him saying how I think he and Jerry Finn added the gong at the end of Smoke as a surprise to Matt and Dan and apparently the first time they played it for them with the gong they started dying laughing and asking what the fuck was that and etc lol.

I'm probably messing up the details of the story but it was something like that. Hell it might in that video I just posted, I'm only halfway through ahah

2. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Please be Atom, that will be the only thing that relieves the pain of Derrick leaving

Zachary Dresch and Iain like this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Good for Derek. Gonna miss his finesse.

.....Atom Willard incoming?

Zachary Dresch likes this.
  4. Zachary Dresch

Trusted Supporter

I sure hope so!!

With the LEKTRON single being released, it almost seems like that was a subtle hint that Atom would be stepping in to replace Derek

5. TheJMan

Trusted

More like Alkaline Duo…. Ok I will see myself out.

(I realize this is neither creative or clever but I couldn’t help myself)

Doomsday likes this.
  6. xthricex

Regular

This bums me out for the FOB Wrigley date. Never seen the trio before and now no Derek.

7. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Goddamn. I got into this band when I heard "Jaked" on the Atticus comp, so Derek is THE Trio drummer for me. Selfishly, I'm bummed, but I sincerely wish him the best. Now let's get Atom in there.

What's everyone's favorite DG performance? "Jaked" is obviously an all-timer, but I think I've gotta give it up for "All on Black" for the outro alone.

David87 and Zachary Dresch like this.
  8. Smee22

Regular

I always loved the high hat rhythms he did on I Found A Way. Really unexpected but nice addition to the song. It’s those little subtleties he specialized in that I will miss.

9. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Such a bummer, but understandable. Hoping we get one more album with his drumming.

10. inwaves

Confirmation that Derek played on the new album.

11. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

stvvvn, hongfong00, David87 and 4 others like this.
  12. hahaha amazing

13. mattylikesfilms Jun 9, 2023
    (Last edited: Jun 9, 2023)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Dave Grohl did the same thing on QOTSA-Songs For The Deaf. Pretty rad all around.

15. tomdelonge

Trusted

I don’t think he did drums and cymbals seperately on Crimson, he’s playing a full kit on every song in the studio footage, but he’s overdubbing a cymbal on I Was A Prayer and not playing a cymbal on Burn

16. Nick Jagger

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I read it here, originally. "We track the bass and the drums live. The last record, Crimson, all the cymbals were recorded separately. So he was playing a drum kit with no cymbals, then went back and would just do single cymbal hits where he wanted them. So that was quite a bit different and an interesting approach that I haven't heard anybody do before. Apparently, it's been done before, I just was unaware of it."

From this video description, it sounds like it was only on part of the album. "For some of the songs, we overdubbed the cymbals and toms, allowing elements to overlap or be isolated."

17. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I know it's a business but I wish he'd continue to drum on the albums they do in the future and they could just hire a touring guy for every tour haha. But yeah I assume it's a lot harder to convince professional drummers to do that long term and not just for a fill in on a tour or two.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I haven't been on an Alk3 kick in a while so I'm probably fogetting some stuff....but the drums on Don't Say You Won't are pretty great

inwaves and Zachary Dresch like this.
  19. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Me too. I was hoping for a Hot Water Music situation with Wollard and Cresswell, where you start by having Derek in the studio and a touring drummer, and then just add the second drummer full time along with Derek, that allows him to be as involved or not as he is comfortable. It’s easier to do with guitarists, but I guess Derek just needs to be out of the machine so to speak.

David87 likes this.
  20. inwaves

Definitely one of his best. If I recall correctly, he wrote all of the music on that one. One of my all time favorite Trio tunes.

David87 likes this.
  21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

yeah he wrote that song, not sure if that meant lyrics/music or just lyrics or what, but I believe that is also why he took the opportunity to do a little “lead” vocals on that one for the bridge.

that’s one thing im really gonna miss about him on the drums. He would add that 3rd layer of vocals here and there or would straight up do the backing vocals instead of Matt or Dan and it would sound so good. I always loved the “we washed it down the drain” line on Emma because of that. Gonna be really hard to replace that part.

22. HatingEveryMinute

2005 OMEA runner up in triangle solo

seeing Derek sing Tim’s parts from I, Pessimist during the past live shows has to be one of my favorite Derek memories

inwaves likes this.
  23. RedDotRecording

Record Engineer/Producer. Musician. Coffee Punk.

Derek is such a (seemingly) effortless drummer.

...and then you listen closely and try to play what he plays with as much groove and pocket. Wow. One of my favorite drummers for sure.

Any time I have someone in the studio and they're playing things that aren't helping the songs - either too much or too little - I make them listen to Trio (and a few other things) to see what appropriate restraint and appropriate chaos is. Derek's an absolute master.

24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Derek perfectly fits their great material and elevates their worst material.

This Addiction, in particular, really benefits from his effort.

David87 and inwaves like this.
  25. TomG

Trusted Supporter

I lucked out and had a friend that worked with alk3 back in the early 2000’s and I got to stand right behind Derek on stage at a warped show. I was absolutely floored with how flawless he was. It looked like he wasn’t even thinking about it but was landing these monster fills like it was nothing. I’ve been a fan ever since and it made me practice along to Trio songs for years. His drumming with Suicide Machines is great too.