Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alkaline Trio Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Alkaline Trio is an American punk rock band from McHenry, Illinois, formed in 1996. The band consists of guitarist and vocalist, Matt Skiba, bassist and vocalist, Dan Andriano and drummer Derek Grant.

2. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Don't know how many people follow Derek on IG, but he's posting a lot of old clips and videos from the GM-Crimson days. Even one or two from Agony & Irony days.

If you were a member of the old blood pact, you've probably seen them before, but still hilarious.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  3. Happy 15 years to From Here to Infirmary.

4. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

They usually hold down the #2 spot on my favorite band lists whenever I make them.

5. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Still my favorite Trio record, I remember getting super giddy when I found a copy on vinyl one day.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. I remember buying it at Fred Meyer on a total whim because I had heard they "were a darker blink-182" — I went home and fell in love. So many great songs on this one.

7. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm still partial to Good Mourning, but FHTI is in my top 3 I believe for them.

8. From Here isn't in my top 3 anymore over time. It's still in my top 5 easily.
    Good Mourning
    Crimson
    My Shame

Those are essentially my top 3.

Gen Handley, ianebaldwin and inwaves like this.
  9. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

Still one of my all time favorites :hearteyes:

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Good Mourning, From Here to Infirmary, and Maybe I'll Catch Fire have always been a pretty solid lock for my top 3. I tend to love everything this band does, though. This Addiction didn't really hold up for me outside of Dan's songs, but Agony & Irony and My Shame is True are great. I still love Crimson, as well. One of my favorite bands since 2003 and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Jake Z likes this.
  11. David87 Apr 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 4, 2016)
    David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, I started it, I guess I should dive in...

1. Good Mourning
    2. Agony & Irony
    3. FHTI
    4. MSIT (especially if Broken Wing EP is included)
    5. Goddamnit
    6. Crimson
    7. MICF
    8. This Addiction

Goddamnit, Crimson, MICF, and to a lesser extent MSIT all shuffle order from time to time depending on mood. I've found myself going back to the first 2 records less and less though.

12. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

My list is

1. Maybe I'll Catch Fire
    2. From Here to Infirmary
    3. Goddammit
    4. Crimson
    5. Good Mourning
    6. My Shame is True
    7. This Addiction
    8. Agony & Irony

@David87 You forgot the number "7" in your list and I totally fucked me up because you had 9 albums listed and I had 8 and I was racking my brain trying to find out which album I was missing!

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

14. This Addiction has two of my favorite Dan songs ever in " Fine " and " Off The Map ".

smoke4thecaper and inwaves like this.
  15. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Strangely enough, I thought This Addiction was Dan's weakest effort since Goddamnit, which is probably why it ranks last on my list since I'm Dan-biased. Not that I don't like his songs on there, they're still good, but I think I enjoyed his contributions on every other album more.

I still can't get over the perfection that is Good Mourning. The only song I don't like a lot on that album, Fatally Yours, I still enjoy. It could just be the the whole atmosphere of the album that does it for me. I.e. I don't know if I'd consider songs like Donner Party as good as I do if they didn't have the crappy bass/drums production and Matt's shredded voice. It all gave that album a very dark, dreary wintery vibe, which mixed well with the happier or more hopeful lyrics from some of Dan's songs.

16. Is it fair to say that Good Mourning is one of the greatest albums of all time in there genre ? I'd have to say it is.

17. BornToRun

Regular Supporter

This is like picking a favorite child. My top 4 are:

1) Good Mourning
    2) Crimson
    3) Agony & Irony
    4) This Addiction

This Addiction's production is the only thing keeping me from ranking it higher.

18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Definitely. At the very least, it was the apex and perfection of the goth-pop punk look, vibe and sound that they had started building for themselves with Goddamnit and that other bands began to emulate right around when Good Mourning came out. They really nailed it though with that album, with the lyrics and the album artwork and the black suit/red shirt shtick.

Crimson kind of took that look to the next level of course, and they tried to build more on that goth-pop punk-y sound, but I don't think it pulled it off as well as GM did.

19. I agree with all of this. Blue In The Face will forever be one of my favorite album closers of all time. Do you have any idea where I can find Good Mourning on vinyl ? Is it out of print ?

20. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Sorry, no help from me here. I just recently got into the idea of getting some of my favorite albums on vinyl, and last I looked for that one they were on ebay and amazon and other places for $150+:tear:

21. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

My favorite albums list is very off compared to most Trio fans, probably due to the fact that I didn't start listening to the band until 2007 and I don't have the same personal connection to the older material as others do.

1. Good Mourning
    2. From Here to Infirmary
    3. Maybe I'll Catch Fire
    4. Agony & Irony
    5. Crimson
    6. My Shame is True
    7. Goddamnit
    8. This Addiction

22. Welp that tells me it's out of print. Also, have you listened to the new Falcon record ? It's pretty nifty.

23. Patlock

The Dream is Over Supporter

I've loved these guys for so long, such a big part of my life.

I always bounce around with what my favorite album is but I usually have the top 3 stay the same.

1. From Here to Infirmary
    2. Goddamnit
    3. Maybe I'll Catch Fire
    4. Good Mourning
    5. Crimson
    6. My Shame is True
    7. Agony and Irony
    8. This Addiction

24. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Wonder when we'll get a new record

25. Daniel182