Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alita: Battle Angel (Robert Rodriguez; December 21, 2018) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Dec 8, 2017.

1. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I saw a trailer for this last night and it looked great. I had some issues with the manga feeling dragged out so I might end up preferring this.

2. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Some clunky story/writing and the male lead is terrible, but it’s fun, especially if you’re into cyborgs. 3d is great.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

It's gotten a lot of bad reviews. Which, with how awful the decision to CG anime-ize the lead was... I'm alright with that outcome.

I'm not a big manga reader, but I do have the first arc in dollar back issues. Gotta read that soon. Had a random volume years ago, and loved the aesthetic.

4. Ferrari333SP Jan 31, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 31, 2019)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I really had no idea what this was about going into my screening tonight, but I thought it was fairly well executed. Alita's character is pretty fleshed out; it's great to see her transformation throughout the film, especially in reference to the female empowerment movement, and the CGI especially is incredible. However, the story itself is pretty blah. I had so many questions about this universe we were shown, why certain characters made the decisions they did, etc. I know they really wanted to focus on Alita, but it would have been much nicer to know more about this world the characters live in, and why characters wanted to kill this person, or wanted to achieve that particular goal. Like, we're told much of nothing about the upper world/city

5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It’s further proof that James Cameron has lost all sense on how to write interesting characters and dialogue. This kind of felt like a slightly better “Avatar.”

6. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

the best part of the new trailer is that they finally made Avatar a non-Papyrus title logo.

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'll watch anything Rodriguez does and I'm looking forward to this a bit. Maybe this weekend.

Ferrari333SP and Davjs like this.
  8. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

This was super flawed but kinda cool. Tone is all over the place but I agree that the Alita performance sells it pretty well. Her romantic interest is by far the worse part about this and the actor is pretty bad. Some of the dialogue is campy and played for laughs which doesn’t always work but is entertaining.

I also agree with everyone that says that the world around her and the people around her could have been fleshed our way more. I get that they are looking for a sequel but I left with more questions than answers.

I haven’t seen a 3D movie in a while but this looked pretty good. All in all it was fun and worth seeing, but i don’t know if it was necessarily a “good” movie.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  9. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

has anyone called this the instagram filter movie yet

10. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

I’m a Cameron fanboy anyway, but I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would.

Davjs likes this.
  11. michael_gatto

Trusted

I seriously loved this. Seriously hope this pulls enough money to get a sequel, but I want more of this world/Alita.

12. I might check this out this weekend. Looks pretty cool.

13. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Went in with low expectations but still felt disappointed. It's not awful, just not good. I liked some of the action scenes and thought the actress who played Alita was solid, but feel like the movie is going to look dated super fast from a CG perspective. The pacing wasn't great. I actually got bored, which is not great.

Also soured from being a fan of the manga.

Dan Quinlan likes this.
  14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Went into this pretty blind last night, and I thought it was an enjoyable movie. Just going to echo that it felt like the world wasn't as fleshed out as it could've been and a lot of character motivations were not very clear, but it was an enjoyable ride and interesting enough that I even care to know more in the first place.

15. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

Wow I really enjoyed this movie.

Dodger likes this.
  16. emojedi

Trusted

saw it for the second time tonight. i fucking love this movie.

michael_gatto and wordzanddreamz like this.
  17. GBlades

Trusted

Getting ready to go see this now, pretty excited!

18. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This was entertaining I guess but Hugo is terrible and the dialogue was so bad at times. Also, I totally forgot Mahershala Ali was in this and kinda surprised he took this role.

19. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Good, not great. The effects and 3-D were great, but the acting was terrible. The ending was anti-climatic, but it did set itself up for a sequel.

20. michael_gatto

Trusted

Saw this for a second time tonight and loved it even more this time around. Alita is such a great character and I love the world that's built. Also finally talked the girlfriend into seeing it and she loved it, now let's get that sequel Rodriguez.

Dodger likes this.
  21. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Unfortunately idk if it did well enough to warrant a sequel considering how expensive it was to make the first one

22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

23. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I straight up fell asleep watching this in theaters

xapplexpiex likes this.
  24. I thought this was pretty cool actually. A lot of great visuals, fun action sequences, and one of the most sympathetic protagonists I've seen this year. Credit to Rosa Salazar and her performance. The motorball sequences were awesome.

coleslawed and Dodger like this.
  25. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

leaving hbo after september