Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alien: Covenant (Ridley Scott, May 19th 2017) Movie • Page 14

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Dog with a Blog

Lol yeah. it’s easily one of the worst movies I saw in theaters last year, if not, ever.

airik625 likes this.
  2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  3. red8ge

Regular

funny enough, my friend who had previously never seen any alien films loved it

4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’ll say this again.

This movie was fun as hell, and I’ll stan for it any day.

Davjs and fenway89 like this.
  5. Davjs

Trusted

I had a lot of fun with this movie. I think the biggest problem with it is that it tries to be two different movies, a Prometheus sequel and an Alien sequel. Both parts have some cool things, but in the end messy and rushed.

Over all though I love the world of these movies and want to see what David is up to. I'd like at least one more movie to wrap it all up.

aoftbsten and inwaves like this.
  6. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

So finally saw this. It’s...interesting. I can see why some people disliked it. I’m very meh on it...I think as a stand alone movie it’s pretty entertaining, but in the Alien mythology I’m not sure I like what they did with David and how the xenomorph came about...I also think I’m a little bothered that the xenomorph doesn’t look exactly like the originals...I guess you could make the case it evolved over time?

7. Kuri44 Mar 11, 2018
    (Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018)
    Kuri44

Just watched this last night and enjoyed it more than I expected to. My only gripe was the way they handled the Walter/David twist (if it was supposed to be considered a twist) it was painfully obvious right when it cuts from their fight. Poorly executed.

Cameron likes this.
  8. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I finally saw this and don’t understand why people are hating on it. Thought it was another great Alien movie and look forward to more.

Davjs likes this.
  9. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Finally just watched this. As a stand-alone sci-fi monster movie it was pretty good. Ridley Scott can really shoot the hell out of a movie. Fast paced, and had some really cool scenes and sequences – “You blow, I’ll do the fingering!” HA! Loved that. The characters constantly do very, very, very stupid things though, even for a slasher movie.

As an Alien movie, it is fucking terrible. TERRIBLE. It retroactively makes Prometheus even worse and more frustrating than it already was, which is not something I even thought would have been possible. After having seen Prometheus and now Covenant, it feels like Ridley Scott (or one of the screenwriters) went on a huge Ancient Aliens kick and wanted to make a movie about that type of shit but the studio wanted Alien prequels so he just took their money and kinda did what he wanted anyway, only they forced him to keep randomly shoving Alien stuff back into the story. Kind of. After Prometheus, they realized that whole story was pretty dumb and they didn’t want to tell it anymore and wanted to focus on David, so they just had him wipe out the Engineers in a quick flashback. It really does feel like they wasted two entire movies and $227 million flailing around aimlessly only to now maybe get to an actual prequel to Alien that people want to see. Maybe. All of the ‘this planet is not the planet from before even though they look exactly alike’ and ‘this ship is not the ship from before even though they look alike’ bullshit is getting really old.

Fassbender’s performance is incredible though now across both movies. Whenever he is on screen I am riveted. I honestly just wish that back in 2012 Ridley Scott had made a movie called Prometheus about an android named David being created by some rich dude trying to figure out the secrets of the universe / find God / live forever that had absolutely nothing at all to do with Alien or the Alien franchise.

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

These prequels are David’s movies, so in that aspect I think they work great. The engineers were just a kicking off point to get the story started.

11. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

A podcast I listen to suggested that the sequel is a engineer revenge movie. Meaning some surviving engineers find David’s ship, and take on the xeno’s/him. I would be into that.

Davjs likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

Killing off the Engineers in a flashback and revealing that Shaw died offscreen is such a contemptuous way to treat your audience.

13. Davjs

Trusted

I can't deny all the flaws in this movie, but it looked beautiful and I love the alien lore and world so much that all the positives out weigh all the bad for me. I had a blast with it.

14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I wish this were true for me, because there definitely were a lot of positives. It was absolutely gorgeously shot, the cast was STACKED, some of the gore was super creative and very upsetting, the part where David hits Walter in the neck to 'kill' him got an audible gasp and jump out of me, the couple of wonky CGI alien shots were absolutely balanced out by plenty of shots where I couldn't tell what kind of FX they used and we're genuinely disturbing (that tall skinny whitish one with just sort of a small mouth hole until it attacks is nightmare fuel on par with the bear in Annihilation). If this were just a standalone sci-fi horror film I would have loved it.

I actually like a lot of the Alien lore too but that's where this film loses me. I feel like this film and Prometheus actively take a giant shit all over a lot of great parts of the Alien lore, not only by answering questions that NEVER should have been answered on screen (telling us what the Space Jockey from Alien was) but by doing so in a ridiculously lame and CLEARLY hugely ret-conned way (having it be a big musclebound albino humanoid) AND THEN in this second prequel they just kind of say 'fuck it' on the whole Engineer idea and just do away with them in a quick flashback.

15. Davjs

Trusted

Yeap! I also can't deny any of that haha.

Brother Beck likes this.
  16. Dog with a Blog

*sees this thread bumped*

[​IMG]

Fuck this movie

17. Davjs

Trusted

Love H3. Movie isn't that bad. Watching the red letter media video you posted a while back again and its so good.

Brother Beck and Dog with a Blog like this.
  18. Dog with a Blog

It’s a top 3 worst movie of 2017 for me.

Brother Beck likes this.
  19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I’d rather watch Prometheus/Covenant over anything after Aliens.

Cameron likes this.
  20. Davjs

Trusted

21. Morrissey

Trusted

Alien: Resurrection has some terrific trash elements.

22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I might even put those above Aliens, tbh

23. Davjs

Trusted

I liked the Aliens swimming. Pretty creepy.

24. Morrissey

Trusted

It was the first one I saw when I was very young. The newborn alien that is birthed like a human is still unsettling.

Davjs likes this.
  25. Dog with a Blog

I’d watch Alien vs Predator before I’d watch this again. At least know movie knows its garbage and doesn’t pretend to be anything else