Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alien: Covenant (Ridley Scott, May 19th 2017) Movie • Page 13

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

That set is awesome

2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Huge fan of Alien.

Saw Aliens recently for the first time and boy are the set designs, costumes, etc. not aging well. I ended up falling asleep too.

Cameron is a director whose entire body of work has a giant time stamp all over it. I'm willing to bet Aliens is his best film (and I haven't seen it all yet) by the sheer fact that it's predicated on the mythology and artwork of that established universe.

The opposite can be said for Alien, which is maybe the second or third sleekest looking sci fi film of all time next to the likes of 2001.

3. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yep. Alien and Blade Runner imo have aged very well

kyle, Connor and Your Milkshake like this.
  4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I'm glad the new Blade Runner keeps the giant Atari and Pan Am billboards

Adrian Villagomez and Cameron like this.
  5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

We need to make sure they keep the robotic owls as well.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Maybe it's just because that's the era I grew up in, late 80s/early 90s, but the "dated" technology/look of something like Aliens doesn't bother me at all. Same with the OG Total Recall. Graphics and stuff don't hold up but the story's still great and I can overlook the very fake head bomb at the security checkpoint, etc ha

Davjs and dadbolt like this.
  7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

It's just jarring coming off of Scott's Alien

one has aged with among the best and then the sequel has that time stamp. Aliens just straight up has a bad aesthetic imo.

you can make a lot of important observations about filmmakers with stuff like that. I'm enthralled by it personally. and we have the hindsight of 30 years at this point.

8. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I refuse to believe that the 80s are in any way 30 years ago lalalala
    I'm old

I tell you what though. Now I'm going to watch Alien and Aliens in the next few days because a) I want to specifically watch for what you're talking about, through that eye, and b ) it's been like a month since I watched Aliens, been long enough :D

9. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

It's into Aliens very dna right down to the script and stuff with the marines and their personalities too. Cameron was unapologetically making a product of that time period. It sits right in that 80s action genre with marines.

10. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Plus Scott is better than 99% of anyone else at pointing cameras

fenway89 and Davjs like this.
  11. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

My favorite line from the movie, besides the iconic "get away from her you bitch," is still that exchange: "ever been mistaken for a man? no, have you?" and how it was ad libbed

(now do Titanic! haha)

Your Milkshake likes this.
  12. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

bold claim
    big if true

(i like ridley scott, but god damn he never should have touched that Hannibal script)

13. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Ridley Scott has a ton of issues, especially lately, but his hallmark works' cinematography puts him square in the upper pantheon of camera pointers.

inwaves, fenway89 and BirdPerson like this.
  14. Davjs

Trusted

I feel like his story telling has gotten bad in recently but he is great at actually shooting his movies.

inwaves likes this.
  15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Joe likes this.
  16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

There's still no beating "game over, man! Game over!"

RIP

BirdPerson and fenway89 like this.
  17. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

nothing beats Parker from Alien

(talking about Kane Who has a face hugger latched on his head)
    "Man why don't they just freeze him"
    "Told you we should've just freezed him"

he's the smartest character in the entire goddamn universe. especially after Prometheus and Covenant.

and he just wants to fuckin "discuss the bonus situation" when things don't smell right

BirdPerson, inwaves and fenway89 like this.
  18. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah Parker is the best. Dude suggests the smartest course of action and gets completely ignored.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  19. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I have to disagree here guys, because if they had followed quarantine protocol as Ripley kept insisting, they wouldn't have had to even have that discussion.

Cameron and fenway89 like this.
  20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Parker wasn't part of that folly right?

He's still the best tho

Esp bc he's hilarious

fenway89 and BirdPerson like this.
  21. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

nah him and harry dean stanton had no part in it. veronica cartwright is the reason everyone got fucked. disobeyed the protocol.

fenway89 likes this.
  22. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah and Parker dies trying to save her. She is the freaking worst

23. tkamB

God of Wine Prestigious

Finally saw this, as someone that really enjoyed Prometheus, this was super disappointing.

fenway89, a nice person and airik625 like this.
  24. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

25. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

watched this last night and this made me so, so sad. i mean, it super pissed me off a whole lot too, but i can't remember feeling so disappointed and sad in a film / franchise in all my life. (and suddenly not surprised to only see this movie has 13 pages worth of conversation). i liked Prometheus from the get-go even though most seem to dislike it / feel "meh" about it, but after watching Covenant, Prometheus could win goddamn Best Picture if comparing the two. jesus crimminy this was awful. poor, poor Alien franchise. :verysad:

kyle, red8ge, airik625 and 2 others like this.