Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alice in Chains

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Blaine Ryan, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Blaine Ryan Jun 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 11, 2017)
    Blaine Ryan

So, I went through a rediscovery period with these guys about a year ago and found that I really, really like just about everything they did pre-reunion (no comment on that stuff; I've heard zero good things but haven't listened for myself yet).

Dirt is pretty much AIC 101--I won't say I love every track, but this record is their essence, imitated by dozens, and probably contains more immediately satisfying songs than any other record they made.

The self-titled is a dense, complex work that repays attentive listening--the harmonies in particular, both between Staley and Cantrell and between the vocal melodies and chords, are among the most innovative and unusual I've ever heard, a high watermark for music theory within the grunge niche.

Both EPs (Jar of Flies especially) are essential. Not a bad song on either one.

Anyway, I'm playing bits and pieces of all of it today and thought I'd make a thread.

Mélange, beachdude42, zmtr and 2 others like this.
  2. Blaine Ryan

3. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Post reunion stuff isn't bad. I like a few songs off of each of the two albums. Cantrell is one of the best metal guitarists ever, so of course there's some great riffs.

I'm actually really excited to see what they come out with next because the last album showed some potential.

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  4. Skinkie

Regular

Haven't heard much of The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here, but Black Gives Way to Blue is excellent

5. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah they're actually one of the better examples of bands who reunited with a different lead singer imo

amorningofsleep and nl5011 like this.
  6. Blaine Ryan

I'll check 'em out eventually, I'm sure.

7. DesolateEarth Jun 11, 2017
    DesolateEarth

Birb

All of the pre-reunion stuff is quintessential 90's rock (Especially Dirt, Jar of Flies, and the Self-titled). Layne was one of the best vocalists of that era imo and really made that band what they were, and to an extent, still are. I wish I had been old enough to see them live when he was around and performing.

I would also suggest at least giving Black Gives Way To Blue a chance though. The only bad thing about it is the lack of Layne, but everything else about it is very strong and enjoyable.

The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here isn't bad, but it's bloated and would be a better record if several songs were cut down in size by a minute or 90 seconds. It's my least favorite because of that but they're on such a high standing that that's like a 7/10 album still.

zmtr, beachdude42 and Blaine Ryan like this.
  8. Blaine Ryan Jun 11, 2017
    Blaine Ryan

The Staley/Cantrell harmony really was a unique sound that has never been replicated. I've always admired the way they could make such fluid songs out of such impractical dissonances.

9. DesolateEarth

Birb

Not to mention all the amazing non-album tracks these guys put out:

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  10. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Always is a bit difficult to listen to these guys since I listened to Dirt a ton when I was going through some pretty rough times in high school, but what a brilliant band. The EPs and Dirt are fantastic, the self-titled and Facelift are good, and as mentioned, the harmonies sets these guys apart. I remember liking BGWTB but not listening to TDPDH much.

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  11. Blaine Ryan Jun 11, 2017
    Blaine Ryan

I haven't delved into any of that stuff yet either. Need to change that.

12. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I mean, Sean Kinney really needs some love here. Such a staple to their sound and one of the best drummers from the whole era.

Perfect example:

13. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Going on a major '90s kick now, and I think I've realized that AIC is my favorite of the big grunge bands, and the one I always underrated the most. The way they could blend crushing musical and emotional heaviness with really beautiful melody/harmony is still truly special.

14. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I swear, I've had this stuck in my head for the past couple days.

beachdude42 likes this.
  15. DesolateEarth

Birb

For me it's between STP and these guys. Core, Purple, Dirt, and AIC are my four top grunge albums bar none.

beachdude42 likes this.
  16. Blaine Ryan

I think AIC had the best of the really popular records (Nevermind, Ten, Superunknown, etc.) with Dirt, but Pearl Jam and Nirvana both made better albums, and Pearl Jam went on to make music that arguably transcends the whole “grunge” thing.

STP were boundary pushers too, but I don’t like them as much.

17. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

17 years today. rip layne. still bumps.

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

So idk why I’m just now getting into their albums, but fuck does Cantrell bring the riffs.

Obviously always loved the singles. Would? prob being one of my most played songs in HS

beachdude, Ken and primavera like this.
  19. strangeterrain

Regular

New song is pretty dope. Classic AIC tonal shift in chorus and Cantrell solo (with so much wah). Will headbang when they play this next Sunday.

20. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

This is right up my alley.

nl5011 likes this.
  21. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Yeah new song is pretty good. Not bad at all.

nl5011 likes this.
  22. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Love it. Cantrell is one of my favorite guitarists and he still finds ways to astonish me.

Those low bends with the wah in the solo:drool:

23. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

hell yeah, kinda bummed im missing them tonight

24. DesolateEarth

Birb

New song is great!

I'm excited for this. Dirt through BGWTB was a flawless run imo. TDPDH had some great moments but was really bloated and overly dragged out. I'm hoping for another great record here!

25. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I may be in the minority that likes TDPDH A teeny bit more than BGWTB