Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alice in Chains - Rainier Fog (August 24, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

That’s the one I hear is the best of the first two. Perhaps I shall.

beachdude42 and teebs41 like this.
  2. azzy01

Regular

This is fine to start with, definitely the most consistent of the three. But the older ones will still have enough nuisances to appreciate when you dig into them later.

beachdude42 and teebs41 like this.
  3. DesolateEarth

Birb

Black Gives Way To Blue was an incredible comeback album and I recommend starting with it as well!

4. DesolateEarth

Birb

A couple listens in and I am blown away by how good this is. Easily the best of the 3 post Layne albums and it's not even close (this coming from someone who loves BGWTB too)

mike1885, nl5011 and beachdude42 like this.
  5. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Damn. I was really impressed with BGW but have yet to ever give DPDH a full listen because what I've heard felt somewhat stale and phoned in. Will have to make a point to listen to this tomorrow though.

beachdude42 likes this.
  6. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Yes, Jerry was always the heart and soul of the band and is simply a fantastic songwriter. His two solo releases are well worth checking out, too. Even his vocals would be considered great if he didn't have the shadow of Layne cast over him. (To be clear, I'm not trashing Layne at all... he was an all time great vocalist and his lyrics really helped put them over the top in quality).

teebs41, nl5011 and beachdude42 like this.
  7. DesolateEarth

Birb

TDPDH has some great moments but there is also a considerable amount of filler imo. BGWTB was a strong metal album and great way to come back. This one, however, feels like it could come close to holding its own with their 90's output. It really is that good!

mike1885, nl5011 and beachdude like this.
  8. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I’m in the minority that thinks TDPDH is better than BGWTB. But this album fixes everything wrong with both albums.

The melodies are perfect on this album, and the track sequencing works so well. I love AIC’s softer/acoustic songs, and Fly is up there with the best of them.

Cantrell and Kinney are some of the genres best at their respective instruments, and this album tastefully displays their talent.

I hope they continue to release albums, I’d love an acoustic EP.

9. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

I couldn't get through DPDH when it first came out because it just seemed to drag. I gave it another shot on the lead up to this album and actually like it a lot now. There are definitely still moments that drag, but it's still a great album with some amazing songs on it. It just might take a few listens to sink in, unlike this one which is way more immediate.

nl5011 and beachdude42 like this.
  10. christsizedshoes

Trusted

First listen: some great stuff here, but I'd still put BGWTB as the best release of their second phase. It's the dark and strange side of AIC that's always drawn me in, and this seems to lean relatively upbeat and straightforward by their standards (obviously that's very relative lol). Everyone should check it out, though - don't know of anyone else still making quality music in this vein.

11. DesolateEarth

Birb

That 3 song run of Red Giant - Fly - Drone though :hearteyes:

beachdude and Blainer93 like this.
  12. DesolateEarth

Birb

It's gonna be really hard for anything to dethrone this from being my AOTY.

nl5011 likes this.
  13. I’m gonna have to check this out. I honestly don’t think I’ve listened to AIC since Layne died.

14. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Amazing^

beachdude likes this.
  16. christsizedshoes

Trusted

This has grown on me after a couple more partial listens and I now feel compelled to bust out the rankings.

1. S/T
    2. Dirt
    3. Jar of Flies EP
    4. Black Gives Way to Blue
    5. Facelift
    6. Rainier Fog
    7. Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

Sap EP is great but too short to compare with the others.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  17. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I don't trust anyone who doesn't put Dirt as #1!;-)

18. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Facelift as 5? That’s wild.

19. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Dirt was my gateway drug into grunge and a shit ton of good music as a kid, and I'll forever revere it for that. Their S/T is just an unbelievably unique record and takes amazing risks given their ungodly commercial success at the time. Probably one of the most unsettling and depressing albums I've ever heard, too. Sure as hell can't go wrong with either choice.

20. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I think that album starts out swinging and then sort of dies out at as the album goes on but it's still great. We Die Young is probably one of my top Alice in Chains songs of all time.

21. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Mannnn.... it’s one of my favorite albums ever. Probably cus it was the first I heard and Love Hate Love is the best song ever.

He hit it on the money with self titled though.

22. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I could agree with this:
    1. Dirt & ST
    2. All the rest!

23. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Pretty much. They’re gonna be here in a few weeks and I am stoked. Haven’t seen them since BGWTB came out.

24. DesolateEarth

Birb

Right Now:

Dirt
    S/T
    Jar of Flies
    Rainier Fog
    BGWTB
    Facelift
    Sap
    TDPDH

beachdude likes this.