Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alex Lahey - The Best of Luck Club (May 17, 2019) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ImAMetaphor, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Orla May 19, 2019
    (Last edited: May 19, 2019)
    Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I’ve struggled to listen to anything else this weekend. Gave a couple other new records a spin on Friday, but after that, it’s pretty much been TBOLC on repeat. Won’t at all be surprised if this ends up my AOTY down the line.

Also, really dig your review @Mary V! It definitely helped me get a better sense of the record as a whole (and holy shit, placing “Isabella” as a Jack’s Mannequin track is bang-on.)

Mary V likes this.
  2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

This is amazing. The sax on Dont Be So Hard On Yourself is too much :heart:

Essie and Mary V like this.
  3. I really appreciate the feedback, thank you!

Essie likes this.
  4. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Been listening all weekend and I still love it just as much as I did upon first listen. Didn’t initially pick up that Isabella was about a vibrator until reading the lyrics. Made me laugh after listening again. Very witty, Alex.

CarpetElf and Essie like this.
  5. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

WOw this sounds great

Essie likes this.
  6. yocoxy

Saw her perform last night in Leicester. The band was great but there was probably only 20 people at the show. Hope she comes back to he uk again

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Listened to this because of the Chorus review. So very good.

Essie and Mary V like this.
  8. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

Mary V likes this.
  9. Osceola13

Bringin the ruckus

Just got back from seeing her in London tonight and damn she's so freaking good! Played tons of new album stuff, great banter with the crowd and overall such an awesome performance. Can't wait to hopefully catch her play again when she's in the US in a few months.

CarpetElf and maryp1603 like this.
  10. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

This album is so good.

12. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Just stumbled upon this album and it is wonderful. Sax on track 4 got me truly hooked and the line “lets combine our books and records and forget what belongs to who” on the last song really shook me.

This album rules.

Mary V and Essie like this.
  13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Might be my AOTY so far.

Essie likes this.
  14. BenSmith94

Trusted

I like the album, I think it's fun...but it's just not grabbing me in the way ILYLAB did. I like what she's going for, there's maybe one song I dislike, but the album as a whole lacks the top end quality her debut had.

Having said that, really looking forward to seeing her in just over a week.

15. Essie likes this.
  16. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Been a few weeks and it’s still my AOTY with no sign of that changing anytime soon. Alex is so underrated and I wish more people were into her or gave her a shot.

Essie likes this.
  17. Orla

It’s been heartening to see her audience grow on each headline tour, though, especially in the US where rock radio clearly won’t play her. Graduating from playing Schubas to Subterranean to Lincoln Hall here in Chicago is definitely cool even though I want her fan base swell even more too

maryp1603 likes this.
  18. BenSmith94

Trusted

Saw her on Friday night. She's so damn fun to watch live, so much energy and A+ audience interaction.

Digging the album a bit more, but still don't think it's as good as her previous effort. Still an engaging listen though.

Also met her after the show on Sunday and she was so nice, happily signed stuff and posed for pictures with people with good grace!

Mary V, maryp1603 and Zilla like this.
  19. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

I honestly don’t think she had any chance of topping ILYLAB. It’s infectiously catchy and melodic, so the bar was set incredibly high for a follow-up.

20. BenSmith94

Trusted

Yeah, I think one of the reasons I didn't immediately love Best of Luck Club is because as you say, ILYLAB set the bar so high and I think I was comparing the two a bit too much. Best of Luck Club is still a mighty fine stand alone record.

21. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Mary V likes this.
  22. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Orla likes this.
  23. Orla Jul 31, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 19, 2019)
    Orla

About 2.5 months in and I’ve barely cooled down on this album. “I Don’t Get Invited To Parties Anymore” has even grown on me, and it’s been a tune the whole time.

maryp1603 likes this.
  24. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Still my AOTY.

Matthewconte and Orla like this.
  25. Osceola13

Bringin the ruckus

As if I couldn't possibly love her more she goes and does this. Fucking amazing!

maryp1603, Zilla, kbeef2 and 3 others like this.