Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Alex Dezen - Alex Dezen (2/12/2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by highfidelity203, Mar 16, 2016.

1. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

Artist: Alex Dezen
    Album Title: Alex Dezen
    Release Date: February 12, 2016

Tracklisting:

1. Ode to Ex-Girlfriends
    2. A little less Like Hell
    3. If You Can Say "I Love You" on a Greeting Card, How Can It Be True?
    4. Leonardo
    5. This is the Last Song (I'll Ever Write on This Guitar)
    6. I Don't Want to Be Alone When I Die
    7. Elephant
    8. I Have
    9. Into the Hand of Hazelden
    10. Reluctant Love Song

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I like this, but not anywhere near as much as most of the Damnwells records. "Into the Hands of Hazelden" is definitely the highlight.

3. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

I was pretty disappointed with this record. It seemed like he was always trying to fit way too many words into a line and the lyrics came across pretty clumsily. It was like he needed to tell a story with every song even if the song was a victim of the story.

4. Been checking this out over the past few weeks and my first impressions were very similar to those that have been expressed. Seemed like too many words were shoved into each line and there wasn't a lot of thought given to the phrasing/tonality of the lyrics.

However, after three or four listens I found this really growing on me. Once I got used to the pure stream of consciousness nature of the lyrics, I started to connect to a lot of the ideas and feelings that Dezen is expressing here. The songs started sticking with me and making me want to go back for more listens.

I wouldn't say that this is as strong as most of his output with The Damnwells, and there are a couple of songs that are a little bit too straightforward and corny for me to really buy into ("This Is the Last Song" and "Reluctant Love Song" are the main offenders). Despite that, this album has become a pretty enjoyable listen for me and I appreciate the very personal and confessional nature of the songwriting. Definitely not what I was expecting from him, but still a pretty solid release overall.

5. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

After 16 years, 5 LPs, 2 EPs, one documentary, several close calls, countless shows, and even more miles, we, the American rock and roll brotherhood known as The Damnwells, is officially calling it quits. We would like to thank you, the fans, for sticking by us through the ups and downs and all that ephemeral beauty found in the in-between. As a band, we tried as best we could to be true, to play each show, whether in an arena or an empty beer hall, as if it were our last, and make the best and most honest records we could, regardless of genre, era, or popularity. We were 4 guys, cast from various parts of America to find ourselves marooned among the motley wilds of Brooklyn, NY, at the turn of the century, eager to forge ahead with song and sin. And we were fucking glorious. If nothing more, we are proud to have carried the torch of rock and roll music into the next generation, as dim as that light may have often felt in our grasp. We are thankful for every moment we shared with you, the fans, the bands, and all the friends, and will be forever touched by the transformative and beautiful power of music to reach across the world with a song.

In the meantime, our lead singer and songwriter, Alex Dezen, is in the final 6 days of the Pledge campaign for his new solo record, and we whole-heartedly endorse and encourage you to help him bring that record to life. He’s got a bunch of exclusive material you can only access via the online Pledge campaign, including a bunch of live videos he’ll be posting this week. Click here to join.
    What else can we say? We love you. That’s all. See you around.

Love,

The Damnwells

6. Craig Manning

Just saw this on Twitter. Way bummed about it.

7. This is unfortunate, but I'm not convinced that it will change much of anything. Seems like this band has always been Dezen's brainchild. If I'm not mistaken, One Last Century and No One Listens to the Band Anymore (probably the band's best two albums, IMO) were pretty much recorded as Dezen solo albums anyway.

As long as this doesn't signify a permanent stylistic shift away from the songwriting he displayed on The Damnwells releases and towards the style of his first solo record, I can live with it.

8. Craig Manning

I'd be more confident if I had liked his solo album at all.