Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Albums in Stores – Sep. 3rd, 2021 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

"It lives and it breathes" by Common Sage on No Sleep Records - I didn't know the band, but I'm listening to it right now, it's really good, quite dark most of the times.

xburningcoffin likes this.
  2. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

Jail Socks is one hell of a recommendation. Thanks, party people!

3. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

hahaha

On one hand, I wasn’t up to list everything because I was sooo busy listening to the album. On the other, I had to give them their own shine. I did later post my whole list, but I don’t think most folks visit this thread as frequently throughout the day and weekend like I do.

Glad to see so much love for Jail Socks. It’s pop punk but it’s got the special something on it, at least to my ears. They were the basis to my comment about genres listed being just general guidelines and also the weekly racking of the brain to try to nail down the most appropriate tag for each. Labor of love though.

Bartek T. and theasteriskera like this.
  4. crunchprank Sep 3, 2021
    (Last edited: Sep 3, 2021)
    crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Loving the name of the GGFO EP haha. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's only one unreleased track on this EP? Either way, very fun listen. Opposites Attract is an absolute banger.

As far as my Release Radar, I found a pretty neat way to scrape all the data from the Spotify API. Mainly doing it just because I like playing around with APIs for fun (yes I'm a dork), but it's also pretty cool for getting genres - there are so many funny/ridiculous genre names as well (gotta love that "indie poptimism" genre.

Great Good Fine Ok                                               Great Good Five Ok                                                hopebeat,indie electropop,indie poptimism,metropopolis,neo-synthpop,nyc pop,shimmer pop,vapor soul
    Escape Plan, The Midnight                                        Nothing Beats Like A Heart                                        chinese indie,chinese indie pop,nightrun,popwave
    Oliver Tree, Little Big, Tommy Cash                              Turn It Up (feat. Tommy Cash)                                     alternative hip hop,hard bass,russian rave,estonian hip hop,hyperpop
    The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die    Queen Sophie for President                                        alternative emo,dreamo,emo,indie punk,midwest emo,new england emo,small room
    New Found Glory                                                  Forever And Ever x Infinity                                       easycore,emo,modern rock,pop punk,skate punk
    Julien Baker, Gordi                                              Little Oblivions (Remixes)                                        ambient folk,art pop,indie folk,indie pop,indie rock,australian electropop,australian indie,australian pop
    BROODS                                                           Piece Of My Mind                                                  art pop,auckland indie,australian pop,electropop,etherpop,indie pop,indie poptimism,indietronica,metropopolis,nz pop,pop,pop rock,shimmer pop,tropical house,vapor soul
    Gojan-PR                                                         Culeteo                                                        
    Taylor Davis                                                     Concerning Hobbits Folk Version (from ""The Lord of the Rings"")  bow pop,otacore,pop violin,scorecore
    Metallica                                                        My Friend of Misery (From Jason's Riff Tapes)                     hard rock,metal,old school thrash,rock,thrash metal
    Daisy the Great, AJR                                             Record Player (with AJR)                                          brooklyn indie,indie pop,modern rock
    Runnner, Skullcrusher                                            Snowplow                                                          indie pop,la indie,small room,belgian death metal,bubblegrunge,indie folk,indie pop,indie rock
    Jail Socks                                                       Coming Down                                                       5th wave emo,alternative emo,anthem emo,charlotte nc indie,diy emo,midwest emo
    Smoko Ono, Yxng Bane, Chance the Rapper, Joey Purp               Winners (feat. Yxng Bane, Chance The Rapper & Joey Purp)          afroswing,uk dancehall,uk hip hop,chicago rap,conscious hip hop,hip hop,pop rap,rap,chicago rap,indie hip hop,underground hip hop
    HM Surf                                                          smithart                                                          lo-fi beats

Edit: @slickdtc Your posts always have me finding at least one new band I love. Thanks for mentioning Whatever, Forever.

slickdtc and bradsonemanband like this.
  5. serotonin

who told you this room exists?

I agree, release dates are often messed up. They aren't fixed retroactively either so it's hard to use the release dates on the site for historical reasons. If there was a way it could be crowdsourced, I'd definitely help keep it up to date with the info I have.

slickdtc, Penlab and Bartek T. like this.
  6. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

Funny enough, I always thought it was crowdsourced and that's why it was always messed up.

7. Amanda A.

Los Angeles

Tom Misch dropped an instrumental covers album.. his take on Smells Like Teen Spirit.. so good. if you've never heard of tom misch: he finds inspo from funk, jazz, neo soul, hip hop,etc.

8. reachingfor

Regular Supporter

Whoa, Lower Definition caught me off guard! Definitely going to check out their new song

9. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Petey sounds like older Modest Mouse at times and I really fuck with that

LightEmUp34 likes this.
  10. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

First off, that’s really cool. You can do a lot with Spotify’s API. I use a site called JQBX.fm that uses it combined with a virtual chat room where you can play music and have a good ol’ time with friends & strangers. It has been THE music discovery tool since I found it in late 2017. Algorithms are wonderful, but even though they disappoint me constantly as a species, humans recommending and playing what they’re listening to totally blows it out of the water.

Whatever, Forever are a band I got in to recently that caught my ear. Heavy in a grungey way but not so brooding and slow. RIYL Balance & Composure. Australia is pumping out amazing bands like candy.

I would absolutely be on top of this too! I don’t often know WHEN a new album is being released, but for historical purposes like you mention, I’d be happy to add them on Friday’s as they show in my RR.

11. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I have my own personal release dates calendar in Wordpad that I keep updated on a regular basis. I would definitely also be willing to help update with what I've got, although I also think I keep track of quite a bit of stuff this site probably wouldn't be interested in. Or maybe they would, I dunno.

12. They're pulled automatically on Thursday afternoon from: Upcoming Album Releases, Upcoming Music and http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/release-date/coming-soon/date and the music forum: Music Forum • forum.chorus.fm

The reason there is sometimes a duplicate is because the release date will have been on one date, and then move.

They're all listed here: Release Dates • chorus.fm and queued up from that page on Thursday at around 3pm. Any inclusions and/or fixes can be found here: Submit News • chorus.fm

serotonin, slickdtc and Penlab like this.
  13. crunchprank

Oh man! There used to be a thread back in the AbsolutePunk days dedicated to a website where it was similar in function. Like, it was a room full of users, but maybe like 5 "DJs". A DJ would play a song and the crowd/users would like or dislike it, and if it got enough likes then it would continue - if it got enough dislikes it would get skipped. Cannot remember the name of the site for the life of me. Do you happen to recall @Jason Tate? Best band I found this way was The Graduate.

slickdtc likes this.
  14. Turntable.fm?

slickdtc and crunchprank like this.
  15. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I get it. And if I'm following correctly, when it scrapes the information, it just adds it without subtracting anything, right? So even if the other sites updated their info, yours wouldn't without manual editing?

It's a shame it's not just editable like a Wiki, but I understand that could cause some potential headaches as well.

16. crunchprank

Yessss! And in Googling to see whatever happened to it, it looks like it just got revived from the dead earlier this year. Awesome.

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. Correct. I do make manual changes when I notice them, or if they've been submitted via the link.

Heh, I don't trust the internet enough to make it user editable.

serotonin likes this.
  18. helloiamzach

Regular

Yeah pal, we seem to have some overlap but you manage to get things I'm not made aware of and vice versa. Thanks for subscribing/following the playlist too - I make an effort to try and make it as complete as possible, and I just add stuff on a private one throughout the week and then throw them all onto the public one that I share on the Friday. Makes it super quick and easy to make the switch.

slickdtc likes this.