Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Albums in Stores – Jan. 10th, 2020 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 10, 2020.

1. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

Thank you both for listening, both releases are so good. 35 was pretty intense haha

SoCoWilderNeSs and Nate_Johnson like this.
  2. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

I really wanted to be punny and say “I Disagree” but yeah, I’m enjoying it too.

3. Amanda A.

Los Angeles Supporter

Just Beach Slang for me!

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  4. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

I absolutely LOVED Schmaltz and I agree about Kick. Loving the re-recorded Losers as well. Excited for the new record!

theasteriskera and Nate_Johnson like this.
  5. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

I actually thought the original "Losers" was better. I don't like how the new one was mixed as much. Great tracks nonetheless. Can't wait for that record.

6. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Had no idea. Was going to ask why and then saw @Mary V 's post. Is that scumbag still in the band?

7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

check the album cover. but also does it matter? the rest of the band that used autism as an excuse for attempting to prey on a 13-year-old still are even if he wasn't.

Brent likes this.
  8. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I’m not usually so plain about music I don’t like, but the new Beach Slang record sounds like Kirk Van Houten bragging about his race car bed.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  9. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Ahhhhh! I didn’t know they had new songs out. Schmaltz is all I listen to lately.

theasteriskera likes this.
  10. bestofmoss Jan 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 10, 2020)
    bestofmoss

Regular

wow, these Spanish love songs fellas sure like the Menzingers.

vvilderness has a new record out that should rule, their last was awesome (especially as an instrumental version.

oh, and im also excited to listen to the new Guardin ep

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  11. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Ok man. I didnt know the story.

12. Brodobaggins34

They fixed your brain when you were young.

Digging Cauldron. Thanks for that!

alexjlow likes this.
  13. Anthony_

I know, but now you do know the story, including that the other band members used his autism as an excuse for his predatory behavior, so I don't think it's wrong to ask why, in light of that fact, it matters whether he's still in the band or not. The rest of them still deserve to be cancelled whether they kicked him out or not.

14. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

I just read a brief bit on the story and the guy does seem like a weirdo but also it doesn't follow the norms of child predator behavior which suggests to me his autism may infact play a role. It really depends on where the dude is along that line. I'm just happy nobody got hurt in the end. Child safety comes first and i hope his social media is closely monitored following that.

I know I'm playing with fire here but typically with predators you see sexual messages and trying to isolate victims and get them alone. What you don't usually see is them inviting a child to a huge barbecue with tons of people out in the open. It all just seems super odd which would align with behaviors of some on the spectrum.

I'm taken by how sure you seem that they are using autism as a fake narrative as if it's not possible for it to be connected. I have a soft spot as I said earlier in the thread for how misunderstood many who have autism, social issues and various other mental illnesses often are. Could they be lying? For sure. I never even seen a video clip of this dude before. I know nothing about him other than this and the bands statements so maybe you have other background info to be so sure it's a lie.

beachdude likes this.
  15. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

There have been other girls he’s slid into messages to, not just Barker’s daughter from my understanding. Which would seem to match whatever pre requisite you think is needed to creep on a minor. As someone who’s worked with several people on the spectrum, they would also probably agree that being on the spectrum doesn’t justify predatory behavior in any way.

Anthony_ likes this.
  16. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

Didn't see these responses before my last reply. My bad.

1. Autism is not a mental illness. - if your form if discussion is picking apart my word usage as means to negate my opinion similar to using pointing out a typo to try and invalidate an entire argument then I don't know what the point is of proceeding. The correct word I suppose is a "disorder". My bad. The point is that many with autism do struggle to communicate socially and understand and follow proper social cues and social norms. This could explain the entire set of messages on that basis alone.

What I would blame the band for is if they knew of this mental disorder, with him having so many fans, why they weren't monitoring his social media and other interactions to protect him from issues like this. That part makes no sense to me.

beachdude likes this.
  17. Anthony_

I honestly don’t even know where to begin with this.

tyramail likes this.
  18. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

I never said it doesn't meet the pre-requisites for being creepy. I also have no knowledge of other girls. All I'm saying is it's easy to shit on people with mental disabilities or disorders or mental illnesses because we think we know all there is to know when really, we don't get it.

Maybe that makes me a fool but I remember a time not too long ago when everyone could watch movies like Ace Ventura and others and laugh their asses off at the crazy mentally ill cross dressing person being pictured because people didn't understand what it meant to be transgendered or to have a different gender identity in that time.

Don't try and attack me as being defensive of child predators by pretending I have pre-requisites where it's okay to hit on kids.

beachdude likes this.
  19. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

To protect him? I think you should re-evaluate what you’re trying to defend here.

20. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

You literally just gave this guy a defense because he isn’t following normal child predator behavior. That’s a pre requisite. I think you trying to excuse this kind of behavior with a veil of “mental illness” is concerning and I’m not sure why you think there’s a justification there.

21. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

Funny, when I wrote it that way I was waiting for someone to attack that. Yes - if he truly has a mental handicap where he doesn't understand social norms and can get himself in trouble in social interactions his loved ones certainly should have been trying to protect him.

It is possible to care about protecting both him and to protect any potential victims at the same time, especially if he's really struggling with mental handicaps and social issues.

22. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

So you knew exactly what you were implying when you typed it lol. Again, Autism as an excuse for child predatory behavior is offensive and not a good look.

Anthony_ likes this.
  23. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

You are inserting false meanings on words. His actions being abnormal is a clue of a possible mental disorder. It is not a defense. Whether he has a disability or not he still needs to be educated. The difference is - does he need to be educated due to a disability or does he need to be condemned and villified as a predatory child molester.

Brand New was one of my favorite bands of all time and I never once spoke in his defense and deleted all his music from my library and haven't listened since. I don't even listen to Echosmith. Thi is about standing up for people with disabilities - it's very easy to villify them when we don't understand them.

beachdude likes this.
  24. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

You are starting with the false framing that it's being used as a convenient excuse and the false framing that it is okay.

It is not okay and it is not a good look. I could play your game and say you dont think we need to protect those with mental handicaps or disabilities.

25. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

yeah except that’s not really what’s happening here lol.