Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Albums in Stores – Feb. 3rd, 2017

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

The Menzingers and Dave Hause make this the best release day of the year so far by far.

3. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

Lower Than Atlantis, The Menzingers and Galactic Empire, for me. Also, a new Stolas single is out today (great band signed with Blue Swan Records).

4. Stevie

Regular

Darko - Bonsai Mammoth (Bird Attack Records). RIYL A Wilhelm Scream, Strung Out, Hot Water Music, Belvedere

elemenohpe likes this.
  5. ianzandi

Regular

Menzingers, Surfer Blood, Dr Dog, and Less Than jake for sure.

Sold single day though from Cold War Kids, Depeche Mode, Father John Misty. Hearts Like Lions, Future Islands, Mac Demarco, Blondie, Violents, LEVV, the Mowglis, Moby, Bleached, and little hurricane

6. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

Menzingers
    Less Than Jake
    Lower Than Atlantis

And MUNA! What a pleasant surprise!

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  7. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

MUNA (RIYL Haim, Chvrches), Menzingers, and Sampha are the big 3 for me.

I'll probably also check out Fenech-Soler, Elbow, and Syd.

Also, earlier this week, Code Machine (one of the touring members of Mae's band) came out with their debut album and that's very good as well.

8. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

Picking up LTJ, obv. I'd feel like it was an obligation to listen to everything they release if I didn't like all of it so much, even after so many years of listening to them and having my tastes grow and change.

Also going to get The Menzingers' new one because "Lookers" has literally (in the actual meaning) been stuck in my head since it was released. It was the first track from them I heard (I've since gone back and listened to On the Impossible Past a few times) so I hope I enjoy the rest of the album as much as I like that track.

9. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

Checking out The Menzingers and Sampha.

Also just out of curiosity I'm going to check out Dave Hause, Big Wreck, Elbow and MUNA

10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

menzingers and sampha and i guess big sean maybe?

menzingers wasn't great on first listen sadly

11. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Menzingers today for sure.

12. jorbjorb

7 rings

already listened to the shit out of the menzingers album. I will need to check out Dave Hause (never heard of before) and Less than Jake

13. Funny how the top 3 stories on the home page right now are:

1. The podcast all about After the Party
    2. The review for After the Party
    3. Album release dates, which most importantly means, After the Party

I guess I should go check out After the Party

truelovewaits and morken like this.
  14. Sampha has me intrigued. I had nooooo clue we were getting new Big Sean today either. Not that I'm much of a fan, but I'm at least interested to see what his current output's like

15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Listening to the new Alex Dezen right now. I feel like this guy just forgot how to write songs. @cshadows2887, not much of a step up from his last solo album, unfortunately.

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

Menzingers and Dave Hause for me.

Both sound good but probably need a few more plays to stick.

Will also spin LTJ. First band I ever saw live 15 years ago. Going to see them again for the 7th time at slam dunk.

17. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

people thought the new songs were boring but i thought they sounded at least like okay drake songs

18. Mattww

Regular

The watermedown lp is released today I think - it's awesome

goation and Anthony_D'Elia like this.
  19. bristphili

Homeshake!

20. redwing91007 Feb 3, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 3, 2017)
    redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Happy new music Friday everyone, here's what I've got lined up

Dave Hause – Bury Me in Philly
    Lower Than Atlantis – Safe In Sound
    MUNA - About U
    The Menzingers – After The Party
    WATERMEDOWN - The Same View With a New Light

21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Menzingers, WATERMEDOWN, and Less Than Jake were no-brainers for me today. Heard WATERMEDOWN on YouTube the other day and loved it. Listened to LTJ on the way to work today and really enjoyed that too. Want to save Menzingers until later when I can sit still and take it all in while giving it my full attention.

Going to check out Lower Than Atlantis, Dave Hause, and Samphas because of the recs on here.

Probably will give Big Sean a listen too, even though I think he sounds so much like Drake now as to be near-indistinguishable.

Any good hip-hop albums drop today worth giving a listen?

22. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Aw man. That's depressing as hell. And also SUPER weird since the s/t Damnwells record is amazing.

23. Craig Manning

There are a few good songs toward the end that feel more like the Damnwells stuff. The last two tracks redeemed the album to a certain degree. But most of it feels like him trying to be too witty or "edgy" and shooting himself in the foot.

24. Yeah not feeling this album. The first one grew on me quite a bit, so hopefully this one will too, but on first listen I thought it was another step down. I agree about the "edginess" that he's adopted on his solo releases. Seems unnecessary and forced.

Craig Manning likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

The second track, "Holding onto You," is probably the second worst song I've heard this year after the new Sam Hunt single. He grew into one of my favorite songwriters with The Damnwells, but he seems to have lost something since then. Not sure what's going on.

Patterns in Traffic likes this.