Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Aladdin (Guy Ritchie, May 24, 2019) Movie • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by stayillogical, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Oh yeah, I hated that random slow mo scene and the random speedy scene too! I thiiiiink they did the speedy stuff again later in the movie but I can’t remember when exactly. But I’m pretty sure it happened again because it distracted me immediately and took me out of the actual movie cuz I was like “is this sped up? are my eyes fucked up?! what’s going on?!”

Full Effect Ed and Zilla like this.
  2. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

I really really didn’t like this. Least favorite of the year.

But just to be positive here were some things I liked
    - While apprehensive about the casting, Naomi Scott absolutely killed it. She was really the only major character that worked for me and felt natural.
    - I love the added plot of Jasmine wanting to become Sultan. Thought that was a great choice and well executed. I wish that was more a part of the plot actually. I almost wish she was the lead instead of Aladdin.
    - I loved how they actually tied Aladdin to Jafar as having the same path and the theme never being enough. That theme and how they tied it into the climax with Jafar was actually brilliant
    - Even though it was out of left field, I loved the small Hakim subplot and Jasmines speech to himwas incredible
    - I liked that they gave Genie a love interest
    - The practical sets and costume design were great

Everything else didnt work for me at all

3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I went into this movie with rock bottom expectations but I enjoyed it. We took my 4-year-old and my 21-month-old (her first time at the movie theater) and they both really liked it.

Also, I haven't seen the original in probably more than 20 years so it was hard for me to compare and contrast. It was almost like I was seeing the story for the first time ever. I kept asking my wife questions during the movie about whether it was the same or different from the original.

4. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Maybe it was my low expectations mixed with nostalgia for one of my favorite classic Disney movies... but I really enjoyed this for what it was.

333 GANG and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

kyle, coleslawed and 333 GANG like this.
  6. 333 GANG

ACAB

Saw this yesterday afternoon and thought it was a ton of fun. Agree with the criticism of Jafar, but otherwise I really enjoyed this.

7. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

It held pretty well. It's looking like $42.3 million for the weekend domestically, which is just a 53% drop. Next weekend will be the bigger drop due to... *shudders* ... The Secret Life of Pets 2.

8. Dog with a Blog

Why Jafar look like a Power Ranger

coleslawed and GrantCloud like this.
  9. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

Because he wanted to force the Pink Ranger into marriage.

10. Iain

Regular

I thought this was alright. Totally helped there was a wee boy dancing to every dance part of the movie two seats next to me which was cute AF

11. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Not sure it's even really worth reviewing. It's a live action disney remake. That's the review. Not necessary, no improvements or story changes to make it different...just a live action remake of a disney movie. For a long time this felt like a direct to VHS version to be honest with a lot of the casting. Didn't think Aladdin was too charismatic, Jafar was a joke, and yeah. I saw this at a drive-in theater and took my dogs on a walk a few times during it.

It is what it is. Whole new world sequence was nice.

Zilla likes this.
  12. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I liked this. Had a fun time.

13. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Saw this today and it was pretty good. Def have some nitpicks but for the most part, it was a nice escape and had enough charm. Third act gets kinda weak and I still can’t believe Guy Ritchie directed this (the typical “Guy Ritchie” moments do feel awfully forced), but it kept me entertained enough. Will Smith def helped keep things moving. The animated one was my shit back in ‘92 so I was interested to see how this would be. Lion King was another significant pop culture moment for me, and my expectations for that are much higher.

14. eight30

Regular

I feel like this didn't really get going until they got to the Cave of Wonders but after that I was in. Loved A Whole New World and I want to watch that scene 50 more times.

15. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I've had all the music stuck in my head all day. Naomi Scott kills it in Speechless.

Also, I keep thinking about Will Smith as the genie and he was great. Best part of the movie.

coleslawed likes this.
  16. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Didn’t care much for the new song. Naomi is excellent but the song was rather dull IMO.

17. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Will’s genie was the probably the best part of this. along with Naomi’s singing.

18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah she was great. I thought she was pretty perfect for the role in general tbh. Aladdin didn't work as well for me but he wasn't too bad. I really enjoyed this and most of the issues I did have were based in comparisons to the original which is pretty perfect to me.

coleslawed likes this.
  19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Whoa, this made over $800m already

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Ok, looking at some other recent remakes, that's not too shocking I guess

21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, almost all of them make over half a billion minimum.

22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Suppose I wasn't hearing much initially about how well this was doing

23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Will posted on IG that it’s the biggest movie of his career. Crazy.

24. Ken Jul 5, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 5, 2019)
    Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Finally saw this. I was expecting to not care for it, but it was enjoyable. The beginning was a little slow and the Will Smith didn't work for me at first, but it came together decently enough.

I thought Jafar might have been the best part.

jorbjorb likes this.
  25. jorbjorb

7 rings

This movie fucking rules. The music is great too. Naomi Scott has an amazing voice.