Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Aladdin (Guy Ritchie, May 24, 2019) Movie • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by stayillogical, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Dodge725

Trusted

I thought this was terrible. The original is one of my favorites, but all the elements that were changed/added (Jasmine part of the opening chase, her new Top 40 radio song, Iago at the end) really hurt the movie outside of Dalia and the Guy Ritchie-isms were so out of place. It also felt like the movie tried to say more about certain issues as mentioned above, but didn’t do it in a clear or logical way so they just felt hollow and half baked. The cast (minus Jafar) was great but the movie that was put around them didn’t live up to the animated version at all.

Zilla likes this.
  2. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

3. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Pretty happy this is going to end up being successful. Gonna see it later this week

4. GBlades

Trusted

I actually really enjoyed this. Will Smith's genie was hilarious and original and Naomi Scott just stole the show.

5. oakhurst May 26, 2019
    (Last edited: May 26, 2019)
    oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

$86 million opening weekend and $200 worldwide altogether. Not super good or bad. With mediocre reviews and Godzilla next week I don’t see this having good legs.

6. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

It could still do alright. I'm guessing it'll still be #2 next weekend. Domestically, Godzilla is much more limited in audience interest than most people expect. It'll most likely be #1, but, as of two weeks ago, box office tracking had it around $50 million.

7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Godzilla opened to $90 million in 2014. I wouldn’t be surprised if it opens close to that.

8. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Guaranteed Disney isn’t too worried either way. They’re just getting this and Dumbo out ahead of time so they can have them as a selling point for Disney+.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  9. I don’t think it’ll hit $90m

10. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

It may not but I won’t be surprised if it ends up higher than the projections from a couple weeks ago.

11. I want to say this was bad but more than that it was just so bland. I know Disney is going to keep on pumping these out, but unless these live action movies start bringing a new angle (a la Malificent...also not a great movie though) then I see no point in them.

This movie rushed through so much character establishing/development for what feels like an unnecessarily long third act.

At the very least my 7 year old daughter enjoyed it, so I really shouldn’t complain too much about a kids movie as a 30 year old haha.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

they have enough money that I'm not concerned about how much they'll be adding haha

Zilla likes this.
  13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t know what other people watched, I absolutely loved it. I was wary for the first ten minutes or so but they realized how cheesy it was a totally leaned into it. Nearly every joke had a wink on it that totally worked for me. I was laughing the entire time and fully recommend it.

jorbjorb, 333 GANG and michael_gatto like this.
  14. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

I really enjoyed this. It was pretty cheesy, but I don't think anyone should really expect it not to be. It's a G-rated adaptation at the same level of the original animated kids movie. The added songs may not have been as classic, but I do like how it kind of gives it the Ralph Breaks The Internet-push of Jasmine not being the typical princess in need. (I thought Naomi Scott did great.)

Will Smith did well enough with his own spin on Williams' classic character and I liked the addition of Dalia in relation to the opening/ending of his story. Overall, I definitely had some good laughs and it's one of the better live action takes they've made so far.

15. bradsonemanband May 27, 2019
    (Last edited: May 28, 2019)
    This was just okay

EDIT:
    Some of the changes they made were kinda strange. Like how they get out of the Cave of Wonders, for example.
    jasmine's song was really good, but it felt more like a music video than part of the movie, and that was weird. Jasmine was the only memorable character in the whole movie. She really shined throughout the whole thing.

I hated the way Aladdin sang most of the time.

Genie was fine. Not very memorable though. No one besides Jasmine really was though, in my opinion.

Jafar wasn't very scary, and their final fight with him really happened quickly, it felt like. Giant Iiago was way scarier than Jafar was, haha.

The Lion King is sure to be much better. At least I hope so.

16. I enjoyed it

17. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

At the end of the beginning Aladdin/Jasmine chase sequence, there is a terrible edit where they actually sped up the frame rate for about 4 seconds to sync their actions with the song. Like, who edited this film? lol I’m sorry but they couldn’t just make a simple trim in editing? They had to speed the crap up? Did anyone else notice this as well??

Ken and bradsonemanband like this.
  18. midnightxtaylor

Regular

Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie, so I was worried about the negative reviews, but I actually really enjoyed it. I think the only thing I disliked was that Jafar didn't seem scary/evil at all ( and Iago at the end was weird). It was colorful and fun and I thought the casting for everyone else was right. Might even go see it again, since I was next to a small child who kept squirming all over her seat and asking her mom questions about the movie.

333 GANG and michael_gatto like this.
  19. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

“Riff-raff!”
    “Street rat!”
    I don’t
    Buy..... this.

20. yeah the Jafar casting wasn't great.

21. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

anyone else get major Dave Franco vibes from the main guy?

22. Full Effect Ed

Odd. I thought Jafar was one of the film’s stronger elements

Ken likes this.
  23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, it was like a Benny Hill sketch. It made no sense and was never used again, much like that weird slo-mo shot of the monkey falling from the sky trying to get the lamp.

24. Full Effect Ed

Exactly! I was starting to think maybe it was the IMAX projector but no, it’s definitely a bizarre edit

Zilla likes this.