Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Al Green Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 7, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Albert "Al" Greene (born April 13, 1946), often known as The Reverend Al Green, is an American singer best known for recording a series of soul hit singles in the early 1970s, including "Take Me to the River", "Tired of Being Alone", "I'm Still in Love with You", "Love and Happiness" and his signature song, "Let's Stay Together". Inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995, Green was referred to on the museum's site as being "one of the most gifted purveyors of soul music". He has also been referred to as "The Last of the Great Soul Singers".

[​IMG]

2. cshadows2887

Listening to Gets Next to You for the first time and the consensus isn't wrong that this is firmly within his run of classics. "Tired of Being Alone" is obviously as amazing as it's cracked up to be, but "Can't Get Next to You" is just as great.

3. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I grew up listening to Al Green and The Stylistics. If you haven't checked them out you should. Russell Thompkins, Jr. is the man.

4. cshadows2887

I own Rock'n'Roll Baby. Pretty great record. Love some of that Philly Soul. Make a thread for them!

5. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Never listened to Al Green much before but gonna give some of his albums a spin today. I think I'm going to start with Let's Stay Together.

6. cshadows2887

That one is very solid but Call Me (his masterpiece) and I'm Still in Love with You are even better

7. cshadows2887

The Belle Album really is underrated as a staple Al record. Will always be grateful to El Jeff Craig on ap.net for turning me on to that record.

8. PauLo

43% Burnt

Let’s Stay Together and I’m Still In Love With You are classics and I don’t listen to them nearly enough. Saying that, I don’t listen to him enough full stop.

9. cshadows2887

Have you heard Call Me? I actually think it's even better as a full record than those two classics.

10. PauLo

43% Burnt

I haven’t, but it’s next on the list now

cshadows2887 likes this.